Dojo Pros And Cons

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lets see here, what are three items of common failure among traditional martial arts schools in business or in study? On the other hand, three positive atributes of strong and notable schools.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion, the first negative is an instructor with a non-professional attitude towards his own training. Number two, instructors who can never seem to get serious in class. And the al fine' instructors/owners who never seem to be around other than class time, which is no time at all for in depth discussion.

Now for the more grandeur, firstly, people who are available to answer questions or address concerns. Secondly, open doors other than class times. I love to get in a few hours extra when off work early. (Happening more frequently now). And closing with :willingness to work with students and a desire to see capable students rise to high places, without the catch of self glorification.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my opinion, the first negative is an instructor with a non-professional attitude towards his own training. Number two, instructors who can never seem to get serious in class. And the al fine' instructors/owners who never seem to be around other than class time, which is no time at all for in depth discussion.

Now for the more grandeur, firstly, people who are available to answer questions or address concerns. Secondly, open doors other than class times. I love to get in a few hours extra when off work early. (Happening more frequently now). And closing with :willingness to work with students and a desire to see capable students rise to high places, without the catch of self glorification.
I can agree with your 1st and in part your 2nd negative but question your 3rd. With your membership or tuition fees what are you paying for? Classes or extended discussion and training time as well? Do you feel your instructor's time outside of class time is worth anything or should the instructor simply donate their time to any and all student's for in depth discussion?

On your pros;
To answer business questions yes; to get into deep discussions about the martial art you are learning or specific understanding of techniques that is covered in class - no, unless you compensate the instructor's time.
Many schools have open floor/mat times while many don't because of class schedules. For instance, we begin classes at 3:30 in the afternoon and have classes until 9:00. With a class beginning immediately as one is finishing. If we had only one class room it would be impossible to have open mat times. We are able to provide 3 training rooms as well as an outside area for training. So at least one is available during the day and evenings. We have memberships options that allow for class training only or open training as well but members pay for the extra availability. The equipment and upkeep is expensive. On your 3rd pro I believe most business owner instructors (not all but most) are wanting the see capable students rise (after all it only helps their business to have high level students).

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Positive attributes:
1) Good community/culture - the students, instructors, families, etc are supportive of each other, work together to make the school a great place to be at. Senior students and instructors model good behavior/attitude.

2) Challenging but achievable standards of skill, athleticism, discipline, and character.

3) The instructor(s) continue their own training and keeep learning new material and/or new ways to teach existing curriculum. This involves some degree of humility, too, which ties into #1.

Negative attributes - I'd say, basically, the inverse of the above.
1) Bad community/culture - people are jerks to each other, have bad sportsmanship, ego problems, people create division and conflict within the school, etc. This can be a problem for business and for instruction.

2) Lack of quality standards. Belt mill type places, where students breeze through easy classes and don't develop any real skills or self-discipline. This can be good for the business end of things - milk money out of a bunch of parents that are just looking for a way to get their kid off the couch for a couple hours a week and don't know or care about martial arts - but I think it represents a serious failure in the "study" end of things.

3) Instructors who don't continue to train or to improve their teaching. This can be a result of ego, fear, laziness, all sorts of things. But I think it can lead to serious problems.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my opinion, the first negative is an instructor with a non-professional attitude towards his own training. Number two, instructors who can never seem to get serious in class.

I haven't actually seen this. Is this a thing now?
I mean, not serious in class?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lets see here, what are three items of common failure among traditional martial arts schools in business or in study? On the other hand, three positive atributes of strong and notable schools.

Depends on whether you mean a dojo as a business or a business which is a dojo.

They are not generally the same thing. What is good for the bottom line may not be good for martial arts training and vice-versa. I can think of many ways to run a profitable martial arts business and turn the training into utter crap. I would not be the first to do so.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends on whether you mean a dojo as a business or a business which is a dojo.

They are not generally the same thing. What is good for the bottom line may not be good for martial arts training and vice-versa. I can think of many ways to run a profitable martial arts business and turn the training into utter crap. I would not be the first to do so.
I do believe there is need for a balanced approach. That just made me sound like a politician. I would say, the reason to have a good business model is to be able to bring quality martial arts in a solid manner. Better business means more students ,somewhat, which means a stronger future for martial arts. I'd like to run martial arts as a business instead of running a martial arts themed business.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't actually seen this. Is this a thing now?
I mean, not serious in class?
It's somewhat rare from my experience. I have seen it more in younger instructors. There is a time for running a more relaxed class, but it isn't every time.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can agree with your 1st and in part your 2nd negative but question your 3rd. With your membership or tuition fees what are you paying for? Classes or extended discussion and training time as well? Do you feel your instructor's time outside of class time is worth anything or should the instructor simply donate their time to any and all student's for in depth discussion?

On your pros;
To answer business questions yes; to get into deep discussions about the martial art you are learning or specific understanding of techniques that is covered in class - no, unless you compensate the instructor's time.
Many schools have open floor/mat times while many don't because of class schedules. For instance, we begin classes at 3:30 in the afternoon and have classes until 9:00. With a class beginning immediately as one is finishing. If we had only one class room it would be impossible to have open mat times. We are able to provide 3 training rooms as well as an outside area for training. So at least one is available during the day and evenings. We have memberships options that allow for class training only or open training as well but members pay for the extra availability. The equipment and upkeep is expensive. On your 3rd pro I believe most business owner instructors (not all but most) are wanting the see capable students rise (after all it only helps their business to have high level students).
Currently it is included in my base fee something like seventy bucks a month. I wouldnt have a problem negotiating a payment for additional time. As a private contractor, I understand the value of professional time.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do believe there is need for a balanced approach. That just made me sound like a politician. I would say, the reason to have a good business model is to be able to bring quality martial arts in a solid manner. Better business means more students ,somewhat, which means a stronger future for martial arts. I'd like to run martial arts as a business instead of running a martial arts themed business.

I hope you're talking about a long time in the future. No disrespect intended.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
A while, and I won't teach things I don't understand such as axes.
I currently teach (Krav Maga) but it's a long way from running a building, rotating curriculum, managing a large student body, and keeping instructors accountable.

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Usually, the Dojo owner is a Martial Artist, with skills in that area, but has little skill in running a Small Business. He often doesn't understand advertising, customer retention, the difference between Marketing and Advertising (because they ain't exactly the same), or exactly what his "product" is. (For a start)

But he's usually pretty good at practicing martial arts, teaching the basics, and is both dedicated to his art and willing to sink his own, personal, wealth into the Dojo.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions