Dojang Etiquette

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Some folks actually do. I have a step-sister-in-law who has a medical condition ....

True, it's possible.

At the time I saw the woman with water in church, I had started to go to a running store's evening workouts. I was surprised by 3 things:

1) that they pushed longer distances over speed. So if you could do 5 km, then you should try 10 km, rather than doing 5 km faster;
2) that their "running" was jogging with walking breaks every 5 minutes;
3) that most people jogging/walking 5 km had the bottles of water at their waist.

So I had been exposed to seeing people thinking that they need water when in fact they don't (barring a medical condition).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, it's possible.

At the time I saw the woman with water in church, I had started to go to a running store's evening workouts. I was surprised by 3 things:

1) that they pushed longer distances over speed. So if you could do 5 km, then you should try 10 km, rather than doing 5 km faster;
2) that their "running" was jogging with walking breaks every 5 minutes;
3) that most people jogging/walking 5 km had the bottles of water at their waist.

So I had been exposed to seeing people thinking that they need water when in fact they don't (barring a medical condition).
Yeah, there has certainly been too much push to hydration. I think it's linked to the "you must drink a gallon a day" thing, which is ridiculous for most people on days when they are not exercising or working in the heat. My wife doesn't get how I can go for an hour-long walk without water. If it's hot, it might be a good idea to drink along the way, but most days, even an hour of strenuous hiking isn't enough to need water along the way. When I run, I routinely don't take water with me. When I get my mileage up, that's probably a bad idea (habits built back before we understood the effects of short-term dehydration), but for most of my runs, it's simply not a factor.

Mind you, because I grew up exercising without water breaks, I have habits that are the other side of "good" from those you mention.

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
I disagree. Most. kids classes are an hour long and there won't be any adverse consequences if they don't drink for an hour. A lot of kids use it as an excuse for a break.

Well, I'm not a kid, and I work up a pretty good sweat. It would be nice to take a sip or two during class, but it is not allowed. I usually guzzle 2 bottles after class. It's not really that big of a deal; like I said, I'm just a little jealous of those who are allowed to drink.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm not a kid, and I work up a pretty good sweat. It would be nice to take a sip or two during class, but it is not allowed. I usually guzzle 2 bottles after class. It's not really that big of a deal; like I said, I'm just a little jealous of those who are allowed to drink.
We were allowed to step off the mats to get some water during class, but that meant going back to the dressing area (no drinks were allowed in the training area). For those of us who attended 2 classes in a row (no real pause between), that meant either going thirsty or being off-mat for a minute or two. And when someone used it as an excuse for a break, it was easy to stretch the break longer. When one of my students gets some water, they normally do it discreetly during a change of activities or while I'm talking (and not demonstrating), so they pretty much don't miss anything (probably true even if they wander off and miss me talking, though).

Latest Discussions