Does Marijuana Make you Stupid?

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not according to recent studies (at least, not in the longer term). Interesting paper that adds some cogent fuel to frequently recurring debates.

In popular culture, all it takes is one hit from a bong before people become ridiculously dumb, unable to solve the simplest problems or utter a coherent sentence. Potheads eat a lot and laugh at stupid jokes. The larger worry, of course, is that such damage is enduring and that “smoking dope” permanently impedes learning and memory.

That, at least, has been the collective stereotype for decades. There’s even been some science to back it up, especially when the marijuana use begins at an early age. But now a different answer is beginning to emerge, thanks to an authoritative new study led by Robert Tait at the Australian National University. The scientists looked at the long-term cognitive effects of marijuana use in nearly 2,000 subjects between the ages of 20 and 24. The subjects were divided (based on self-reports) into several different categories, from total abstainers (n = 420) to “current light users” (n = 71) to “former heavy users” (n = 60). Over the course of eight years, the scientists gave the subjects a battery of standard cognitive tests, most of which focused on working memory, verbal memory and intelligence.

The scientists found that “there were no significant between group differences.” In other words, the amount of pot consumed had no measurable impact on cognitive performance. The sole exception was performance on a test of short-term verbal memory, in which “current heavy users” performed slightly worse than former users. The researchers conclude that, contrary to earlier findings, the mind altering properties of marijuana are ephemeral and fleeting:

The adverse impacts of cannabis use on cognitive functions either appear to be related to pre-existing factors or are reversible in this community cohort even after potentially extended periods of use. These findings may be useful in motivating individuals to lower cannabis use, even after an extensive history of heavy intake.

This study builds on previous work by Harvard researchers demonstrating that the learning and memory impairments of heavy marijuana users typically vanish within twenty eight days of “smoking cessation.” (The slight impairments still existed, however, one week after smoking.) While several days might sound like a long hippocampal hangover, heavy alcohol users typically experience deficits that persist for several months, if not years. In other words, heavy marijuana use appears to be a lot less damaging than alcoholism.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting study.

Over time I am sure that the research will reveal that a little of this and a little of that, in moderation, doesn't really do you any harm. Which is what most of us know instinctively anyway ... no matter how aggravating people who're 'toked up' are :lol:.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never felt any different one way or the other. Of Course I never inhaled. Those I know that did, were, a bit stupid acting for a time, but seemed to get better. All kidding aside, as Sukerkin said, very interesting study.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It has individual effects on individual people. The location and density of the cannaboid receptors dictates what gets affected and how. Physically, the THC causes the synapses in those receptors to enlarge, making them take longer to fire. If you have a low percentage of receptors it will have little effect on you and vice versa. This is the general physical explanation for the high. While it's indirect, it still affects the body's endocrine system, much like other drugs or alcohol and has a personality changing effect. Heavy users tend to develop high tolerances while light smokers tend to get hit by a ton of bricks each time, hence the similar findings. I certainly wouldn't consider the damage comparable to alcohol let alone crystal meth but it tends to interfere with learning. There are aspects that might actually help with retention but I can't speak of that from personal experience. I found it was like putting blinders on: good for linear thinking but not good for much else.

Hot smoke on the lungs kills tissue and leaves sediment. I suspect that all smoke is somewhat carcinogenic and increases your risk of getting cancer.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know one person who used to use Cannabis - I never have and never will touch it myself, but whenever he used some, hed be a bit delirious for a couple of hours, but it wasnt really behaviour altering at all. It just spaced him out, then hed be no different when he got over it.

So i figure its like Alchohol.
Some people get sick, and cant hold it down. Others become quite hostile. Others just have hazy thought processes.
In other words, different people react differently.

Just an idea.
And as such, some people may well let themselves be stupified by it.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah well... uhh.... ..... ..... wh... ..what I got.........

what I got to say is..... ..... (dammit).... wait .... umm....

what's the topic again?

Attachments

• $200611_1957487780532_1342860187_3898289_7049530_n.jpg
    $200611_1957487780532_1342860187_3898289_7049530_n.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 113

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can spot a "pot head" a mile away. I have never been able to decide if its a cultural thing (they act like pot heads) or if its a physical thing (pot has made them idiots).

Latest Discussions