Does anyone know about Chamberlain Studios of self defense in Dallas Texas?

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
I’m looking into joining this school. It’s a Gasan Ryu Kenpo Karate school but also has a respected judo program as well. Do you guys think this place is legit or a McDojo? I need some kenpo people advice. Thanks!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only red flag for me is that the highest earned rank of the boss there seems to be a 5th dan, after which he created his own name and jumped straight to 10th dan.
Admittedly, this is how the founders of pretty much every system got high dan ranks. The difference, as I see it, is that those folks were creating a new art, not merely rebranding an existing art.
Beyond that, you really need to go check out the school. Without direct personal experience, all any of us can do is look at the web site.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Judo program seems legit. The Kempo (judging from their videos) isn’t to my taste, but it doesn’t look any worse or different from most of the other Kempo I’ve seen.

I share DD’s disdain for teachers creating a new name for their style so they can self-promote themselves to 10th dan and misuse the term “soke”, but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything one way or another about their knowledge and teaching ability.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The only red flag for me is that the highest earned rank of the boss there seems to be a 5th dan, after which he created his own name and jumped straight to 10th dan.
Admittedly, this is how the founders of pretty much every system got high dan ranks. The difference, as I see it, is that those folks were creating a new art, not merely rebranding an existing art.
Beyond that, you really need to go check out the school. Without direct personal experience, all any of us can do is look at the web site.

That is incorrect. He was a 5th dan in Nick Cerio kenpo. In 2001 or 2002 he was promoted by Al Tracy to 8th dan. He was promoted to 10th dan by Al Tracy in August 2015.

His skill and knowledge are top notch. His school operates well with a spirit of Ohana.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The Judo program seems legit. The Kempo (judging from their videos) isn’t to my taste, but it doesn’t look any worse or different from most of the other Kempo I’ve seen.

I share DD’s disdain for teachers creating a new name for their style so they can self-promote themselves to 10th dan and misuse the term “soke”, but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything one way or another about their knowledge and teaching ability.

That didn’t happen. I was at his 8th dan promotion in either 2001 or 2002 and also at his 10th dan in 2015. There was no making up a new name and jumping straight to 10th dan.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is incorrect. He was a 5th dan in Nick Cerio kenpo. In 2001 or 2002 he was promoted by Al Tracy to 8th dan. He was promoted to 10th dan by Al Tracy in August 2015.

His skill and knowledge are top notch. His school operates well with a spirit of Ohana.
I will surmise that Mr. Tracy promoted him under the Yudansha, and not as a Tracy System 8th and then 10th?

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I will surmise that Mr. Tracy promoted him under the Yudansha, and not as a Tracy System 8th and then 10th?

You would be correct. My point being that Nick Chamberlain has never worn rank that was not bestowed by someone else. He has not self promoted.

OP
Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
You would be correct. My point being that Nick Chamberlain has never worn rank that was not bestowed by someone else. He has not self promoted.
What is this guys style of kenpo like? Mr Chamberlain? His school is expensive as hell. Just his judo program is $150 a month twice a week.

Latest Discussions