GSP gets a Nick Cerio's Kenpo 4th dan trainer for his KICKS

FireWalker

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share that the NCK teacher at the new dojo i'm going that teaches Nick Cerio's Kenpo is the new Kicking trainer for st-pierre ! viva kenpo !

here is the link with the translation ( people know GSP is french )

Very funny, lots of people were saying you see GSP won't never get a karaté trainer etc... but when he saw Thompson wonderboy in action hammering hendrix he found out karaté is not bad at all.

Google Translate

he is training him since 2 years. there is the second article of this year.

Google Translate

nice right ?

OP
F

FireWalker

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
"After the Thompson-Hendricks bout in February, I received a call from his agent. Georges wanted to work on his combat skills at a longer distance. There is a clear evolution in the UFC with this new parameter being installed and someone who can better control his distance adds a string to his bow, "said Samuel Gagnon during a meeting in morning.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"After the Thompson-Hendricks bout in February, I received a call from his agent. Georges wanted to work on his combat skills at a longer distance. There is a clear evolution in the UFC with this new parameter being installed and someone who can better control his distance adds a string to his bow, "said Samuel Gagnon during a meeting in morning.
If you scroll down on this link, you can see a tweet from GSP from Sept 15 2015 showing a picture of GSP with Sensei Gagnon. HTMTT? Blake Griffin trains with Cerrone, USADA.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
hmm let's see from 7 to 12 years old ?

i'm talking about is training for MMA my friend
He's a black belt in karate and still trains it to this day. For one of his open workouts he did a kata in a gi and trains with a number of karate champions and point fighting champions. Just follow his Facebook and you'll see it. Plus he's trained regularly with Stephen Thompson and his dad.

You say he found out karates not bad...well he never thought that because that's his base style. So yeah he's training with that guy...okay cool gsp trains with anyone he can heck he asked Joe rogan for kicking tips. Anyway he's not training for Mma anymore as he's pretty much retired he's just training because he likes training. He's said it before he's always preferred the training over the actual fighting

OP
F

FireWalker

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
He's a black belt in karate and still trains it to this day. For one of his open workouts he did a kata in a gi and trains with a number of karate champions and point fighting champions. Just follow his Facebook and you'll see it. Plus he's trained regularly with Stephen Thompson and his dad.

You say he found out karates not bad...well he never thought that because that's his base style. So yeah he's training with that guy...okay cool gsp trains with anyone he can heck he asked Joe rogan for kicking tips. Anyway he's not training for Mma anymore as he's pretty much retired he's just training because he likes training. He's said it before he's always preferred the training over the actual fighting

where do you get he never stopped ? in his official bio it says he stopped training karaté at 16 and wikipedia as well, he says himself he started training KICKS not really karaté about in 2014-2015.

i don't see anywhere that he never stopped training karaté, maybe you have better sourcing than his offical bio?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
where do you get he never stopped ? in his official bio it says he stopped training karaté at 16 and wikipedia as well, he says himself he started training KICKS not really karaté about in 2014-2015.

i don't see anywhere that he never stopped training karaté, maybe you have better sourcing than his offical bio?
Lol so Wikipedia says it so it must be true lol. If he had stopped training when he was kid do you really think he'd remember any katas still? I've read his actual Facebook posts where he literally says he's always practiced his karate whenever he gets the chance to.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Also if I wanted a guy to train my kicks I would not pick a kenpo guy. Kenpo is not a kicking style especially for Mma kicks. Most kenpo kicks are to the groin

OP
F

FireWalker

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Lol so Wikipedia says it so it must be true lol. If he had stopped training when he was kid do you really think he'd remember any katas still? I've read his actual Facebook posts where he literally says he's always practiced his karate whenever he gets the chance to.

Nice to know, i did not know that, fair assumption

OP
F

FireWalker

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Also if I wanted a guy to train my kicks I would not pick a kenpo guy. Kenpo is not a kicking style especially for Mma kicks. Most kenpo kicks are to the groin

Did you read the articles i posted ?

Thompson kicking comes from KENPO, and he has alot more than kicks to the groin, me thinks u are ignorant as to what kenpo is really about.

And why would i trust you OVER GSP who clearly said he wanna train his kicking cuz he was impressed by thompson ? still think kenpo kicking sucks ?

maybe it's your kenpo style that lacks kicks ? Nick Cerio's Kenpo have alot of kiking champs in point sparring, so they basically train all the kicks, i wonder where u got your information from

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did you read the articles i posted ?

Thompson kicking comes from KENPO, and he has alot more than kicks to the groin, me thinks u are ignorant as to what kenpo is really about.

And why would i trust you OVER GSP who clearly said he wanna train his kicking cuz he was impressed by thompson ? still think kenpo kicking sucks ?

maybe it's your kenpo style that lacks kicks ? Nick Cerio's Kenpo have alot of kiking champs in point sparring, so they basically train all the kicks, i wonder where u got your information from
Thompson was also a professional kickboxer not just karate.

I'll tell you where I get my information from over 20 years of training kenpo with numerous high level instructors including Lee wedlake one of the top kenpo practitioners in the world, from helping run and referee and compete numerous kenpo tournaments and seminars and gradings. From attending camps all over the world. From earning my black belt from Bob white one of the most respected 10th dans in the world of kenpo and a very accomplished fighter in his prime, from running my own kenpo group.....so yeah I think I have a good enough understanding of kenpo

OP
F

FireWalker

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thompson was also a professional kickboxer not just karate.

I'll tell you where I get my information from over 20 years of training kenpo with numerous high level instructors including Lee wedlake one of the top kenpo practitioners in the world, from helping run and referee and compete numerous kenpo tournaments and seminars and gradings. From attending camps all over the world. From earning my black belt from Bob white one of the most respected 10th dans in the world of kenpo and a very accomplished fighter in his prime, from running my own kenpo group.....so yeah I think I have a good enough understanding of kenpo

It was not Hypothetical, whatever your understanding of kenpo is and your attitude of i know better, theres alot of kicking in kenpo, it's for higher level students.

Fact is you can't deny GSP is training with a nick cerio kenpo 4th dan that has no other certification to help him with his kicking, do you deny that fact ?

i mean, i wasn't try to score a hypothetical point, i was saying it is going on right now, so you know better than GSP and would never take a kenpo guy to train kicking and yet he does, man your so godlike

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was not Hypothetical, whatever your understanding of kenpo is and your attitude of i know better, theres alot of kicking in kenpo, it's for higher level students.

Fact is you can't deny GSP is training with a nick cerio kenpo 4th dan that has no other certification to help him with his kicking, do you deny that fact ?

i mean, i wasn't try to score a hypothetical point, i was saying it is going on right now, so you know better than GSP and would never take a kenpo guy to train kicking and yet he does, man your so godlike
Lol vivid imagination you've got I never said a thing like that. You're the one making it sound like he's never taken a karate class before he trained with this guy....let's be honest all this thread is is you name dropping to tell us you train with a guy who trains with gsp. Whether or not he's training with some guy I've never heard of who's a black belt from another guy I've never heard of really makes no difference to me. All I said he's been training karate a /long/ time before he even heard of this guy. That's literally all I said. Where on earth did I say I was godlike you said I don't understand kenpo so I simply told you my experience. You should probably take a deep breath and calm down buddy

OP
F

FireWalker

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

you said that yourself, why deny it ?

what does his background in karaté have anything to do with the fact he got this guy as a trainer for his kicks ?

No kicking in kenpo, seriously your a troll, go find another thread and stop hijacking this one plz, no flame wars, fact straight, GSP got this guy to train kicks thats all

no you don't know better than GSP for kicking i'm sorry man, ur a flamer

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

what does his background in karaté have anything to do with the fact he got this guy as a trainer for his kicks ?

No kicking in kenpo, seriously your a troll, go find another thread and stop hijacking this one plz, no flame wars, fact straight, GSP got this guy to train kicks thats all

I'm not denying it. I said it and I meant it. Any high level kenpo guy will tell you the same thing. Kenpos a street fighting art what do they need high kicks for?.

Lol I don't care if he trains with some guy I don't care one bit if he does or doesn't lol

Where did I say there were no kicks in kenpo where did I say those exact words there are no kicks in kenpo. Kenpo is primarily a hand striking style. What does the word kenpo translate to?

This is what you said.

When he saw Thompson wonderboy he saw karate wasn't so bad after all.....I said he already knew since he'd been training in it for years that's literally what I said. You're the one that got upset buddy.

I'm very confused about what your upset I simply said he's been training karate all his life with numerous champions not just this guy. You're that started making personal attacks

Okay I'll give you what you want.

WOW that's amazing you train with a guy who trains with gsp. WOW that's sooooo cool.

Happy? Good good :)

OP
F

FireWalker

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not denying it. I said it and I meant it. Any high level kenpo guy will tell you the same thing. Kenpos a street fighting art what do they need high kicks for?.

Lol I don't care if he trains with some guy I don't care one bit if he does or doesn't lol

Where did I say there were no kicks in kenpo where did I say those exact words there are no kicks in kenpo. Kenpo is primarily a hand striking style. What does the word kenpo translate to?

This is what you said.

When he saw Thompson wonderboy he saw karate wasn't so bad after all.....I said he already knew since he'd been training in it for years that's literally what I said. You're the one that got upset buddy.

I'm very confused about what your upset I simply said he's been training karate all his life with numerous champions not just this guy. You're that started making personal attacks

Okay I'll give you what you want.

WOW that's amazing you train with a guy who trains with gsp. WOW that's sooooo cool.

Happy? Good good :)

yep thanks that's what i wanted to hear, was just trying to make a point that kenpo can be relevant for MMA fighting.

American Kenpo is 90 % different from Nick cerio's which is more hawaii style, what kind of kenpo do you practice my friend ?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Side note, I'm going to agree with headhunter that the kenpo/kempo styles I've seen have high kicks in the curriculum, but they're not trained as extensively as other styles. The ones I've been to have all had the attitude of "yes, they're in the curriculum and you should learn them, but don't focus on them. Any kicks you will be doing shouldn't be above chest (or waist depending on the instructor) height".

Edit: my main style, where I've trained under many different instructors from different dojos with that attitude, is an offshoot of nick cerio kenpo. And the techniques are different, but from what I've seen of american kenpo a lot of the philosophy and methods are the same.

Last edited:
OP
F

FireWalker

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was just happy to share that a fighter like GSP would be trained under a Nick Cerio's Kenpo practicionner and that's what i wanted to share on the kenpo forum :)

that was the original intent of the discussion

OP
F

FireWalker

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Side note, I'm going to agree with headhunter that the kenpo/kempo styles I've seen have high kicks in the curriculum, but they're not trained as extensively as other styles. The ones I've been to have all had the attitude of "yes, they're in the curriculum and you should learn them, but don't focus on them. Any kicks you will be doing shouldn't be above chest (or waist depending on the instructor) height".

Edit: my main style, where I've trained under many different instructors from different dojos with that attitude, is an offshoot of nick cerio kenpo. And the techniques are different, but from what I've seen of american kenpo a lot of the philosophy and methods are the same.

Oh ok nice, anyway let's get back to some more positive notes, maybe those particular schools train kicks alot more than usual for WKC and quebec open and many tournaments they have. You guys are probably right about kicks and kenpo curiculum, i Noticed that nick cerio's added alot of karate shotokan and karaté kyokushin AFTER villari's and shaolin kenpo karate breakup, is it possible that the many kicks would have been emphasized with the addition of these katas in the style ?

which are :

Pinan 1 - Based on Taikyoku #1 of Kyokushin Kai
Cat 1 - Based on Heinan Sandan of Kyokushin Kai
Cat 2 - Based on Heinan Yondan of Kyokushin Kai
Cat 3 - Creation of Nick Cerio, based on Heinan Series from Kyokushin Kai

Bassaï Daï - Form from Shotokan Karate
Empi - Form from Shotokan Karate
Konku Daï - Form from Shotokan Karate
Goju Shi Ho - Form from Shotokan Karate
Sanchin - Traditional Karate form

what do you guys think ? there's quite a couple of those that use high kicks, while the shotokan katas are not required anymore to progress in the style, they still were in the original curiculum

Latest Discussions