Do you think life will be discovered on another planet in your lifetime?

Discussion in 'The Study' started by Chrisinmd, Dec 7, 2019.

1. pdg

pdg Senior Master

I think the cattle farmers I know would heartily disagree with that statement.

As to certain components of the cattle business model in the US and some other countries ("preventative" overuse of antibiotics in feed contributing to the prevalence of resistant infections along with growth hormone administration), I sincerely hope we continue to restrict the use and importation of those.

If unrestricted imports start and regulations are relaxed, I'm going vegetarian.

2. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

You can easily see electricity. Look out the window during a thunder storm. You’ll probably see it at some point. Being a construction guy, I’m assuming you’ve at least seen someone use an arc welder; you’ve likely used one yourself.

And for the record, the most powerful microscopes in the world still aren’t good enough to show individual atoms nor any sub atomic particles. What they actually look like is theoretical. Based on very sound scientific principles, but theoretical nonetheless.

3. pdg

pdg Senior Master

In neither case is that actually seeing electricity though, it's the effects of the ionisation of the surrounding molecules and the subsequent plasma production that is visible.

Much like gravity, electricity itself cannot be made visible - only the effect it has other things.

4. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

your not seeing electricity when you see lighting, electricity is charged electrons, what your seeing is ionised air, thats being ionised by the electrons, which then turns into plasma.

that's like claiming you can see wind if your garden gate is banging about, you can see its effect, but you cant see IT

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

and for the record here are some pictures of atoms
    This Microscope Can See Down to Individual Atoms

not amazing resolution il grant you, but you are most certainly seeing atoms

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

well in that case you should be ashamed of yourself, i just thought you were misinformed, now it turns out you've been expensively educated and are just wrong

you said you can see the COMPONENTS of electricity, there is only one component part of electricity and that electrons, which you cant see.

you've since changed that statement to be about the ELEMENTS required for generation, which is not at all what your original statement said.
    but your still wrong you cant see those either, at least not the ones im thinking of

so just to be clear, what components of electricity are you claiming can be seen ?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  7. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    Jobo, that is so far from making sense on any level I am at a loss for how to even begin to answer. Hopefully you understand your gibberish.
    If you need to pat yourself on the back and feel like you won, go ahead.

8. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

i already have, about 4 hours ago

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

I hadn’t heard of that before. Very cool. Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

just been reading an article on the latest generation of space '' telescopes'' the first of which has launched this week

there 4500 systems that they know of with big planets, that may or may not have small rocky worlds. these will allow them to find them, if they are there and also, most importantly analyse the atmosphere of all the planets contained and therefore hopefully pick up the signs of life

so we may be very close to finding life if it is indeed abundant , though we seem no closer to being able to shake hands with it, if its somewhat rarer wi still have another trillion or so star systems to look at so it may take a little time, possible a good bit longer than the time the earth has left before its swallowed by the sun

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chrisinmd

Chrisinmd Green Belt