DO you test your new clothes, boots and wearables to match your martial art style?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
loanbanker said:
I've done it. When picking out a pair of pants I look for the flexability needed to execute kicks properly. Shoes often are judged to be to heavy for proper kicking. In fact I don't wear sandles at all because of the horrible support if I needed it. And I love sandles!

When going out for a night on the town I pick my jacket based on how well it can handle a knife attack (usually I end up taking the leather).

paranoia? perhaps.

In the end, im comfortable not just physically but mentally as well. For me thats what matters.

LOL!!!!!! YES, your paranoid..lol
funny tho.

Glad to see that I am not the only one who does this.
I feel better now. I do it all the time with pants and shoes

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do wear my pants just baggy enough to kick inthem. I did have a pair of Chuck Norris jeans back in the day. They were tight fitting but stretchy material. You could kick in em. But they were'nt that cool. It was kicking in cowboy boots I never got. If you can do it, you're a better man than me.:)

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Back in the long past I would test jeans when I bought them for kicking comfort. Then I grew to understand high kicks are not the best tool for combat. So low kicks below the waste most any jeans are loose enough to get those off. So now if they fit and are comfortable I buy them no worry about kicking.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank God for this topic. I thought I was the only nutter that bought/tried on clothes depending on how they'd hinder/help in a fight.

I tend to go with baggy, loose fitting dark clothes. Jeans or dark combats. Nice fitting loose sweater/shirt/t-shirt, and a black pea coat to look the business. Also, trainers on the feet for ease of kicking. Not unlike Chris Crudelli on Mind Body & Kick *** moves. He obviously has made the look famous. I secretly think he copied my look.

OP
beau_safken

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't worry dude your in good company. I have been beside myself trying to find a pair of cargo's lately that I can actually do a simple horse stance in without feeling like that *** is gonna tear out.

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
I'm talking when you see a nice pair of boots...What is your first thought?
1) Look nice
2) Uhhhh Shiny
3) I wonder if I can kick properly in those...

For me its mostly 3 but I have been known to go with #2 at times.

Another one that I have told on this forum before.

Was finding out if some pants would fit in the dressing room like a normal person....however. Went to do a side kick to test if they would take the stress of a kick and the crotch split all the way down the middle to the thigh. I promptly found a different pair of pants and brought the now busted pair of pants to the counter with me. The little girl looks at them and was just confused. I told her that they didn't work out.

I'm sure we have ALL been guilty of this in the past...Lets hear your story.

I have to be able to kick in it, i hate tight clothing as you can rip your trousers/pants...My clothes have to be light too, not too heavy incase i get into a fight and i get tired out easily.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've thought this before when I'm on the way into town. It's funny that you tend to wear the shoes that give you the least grip, shiny flat soled leather types when you're going for a night out. While day to day i personally wear trainers, when I'm going out on the town the bars and clubs won't let you in with that sort of thing on.
Unfortunately they're the sort of places where you're most likely to get into some sort of bother, while wearing your least appropriate footwear.

Latest Discussions