Do you have the courage to actively participate . . .

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the 15th annual ...

Buy Nothing Day.

http://adbusters.org/metas/eco/bnd/view.php?id=403

This November, environmentalists, social activists and concerned citizens in as many as 65 countries will hit the streets for a 24-hour consumer fast in celebration of the 15th annual Buy Nothing Day, a global cultural phenomenon that originated in Vancouver, Canada.

Kalle Lasn is the co-founder of the Adbusters Media Foundation, the organization responsible for launching Buy Nothing Day as a yearly, global event. He explains that while most participants used to see the day simply as an escape from the marketing mind games and frantic consumerism that have come to characterize modern life, the focus has since shifted in light of the new political mood surrounding climate change.

“So much emphasis,” he notes, “has been placed on buying carbon offsets and compact fluorescent lightbulbs and hybrid cars that we are losing sight of the core cause of our environmental problems: we consume far too much.”

I think I do. I might even talk my wife into participating.

I have little hope for my girls (age 19 and 17), this idea is, perhaps, a bit too grand for them.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh, that's "Black Friday", this friday. Yes, I never buy anything on that day. The stores are too crowded. Count me in.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice pompadour! :)

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm in. I have yet to leave my house on Black Friday since I've out on my own in the world. I got my wife talked into it a few years ago as well. I just sit and wait for a week or two, then go out on a Monday when all the crazies are (normally) gone.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I rarely shop on Black Thursday except for emergency trips to the grocery store - rare, with the amount of leftovers I generally have - so not shopping won't really be a stretch for me.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For the faithful in the house ...... or those who seek spiritual guidance on matters great and small ... I might recommend Reverend Billy.

http://www.revbilly.com/

His evangelical movie is coming soon. I caught the trailer, and it looks like this is one documentary that is on my must see list. Even more than Michael Moore's work.

http://consumerist.com/consumer/shopping/movie-trailer-what-would-jesus-buy-320927.php

Hilarious! I will be looking to see this film when it comes out!

Latest Discussions