• Yes, but if I exercise it is better

• Yes, but it doesn't bother me at all

• No, I am lucky

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is estimated that 20 million people in the United States have some form of Arthritis with Osteoarthritis being the most common form of arthritis today.

It is the leading cause of disability in the US according to the CDC and impacts the US with:
  • 9,500 deaths
  • 750,000 hospitalizations
  • 8 million people with limitations
  • 36 million ambulatory care visits
  • 49 million people with self-reported, doctor-diagnosed arthritis
  • 51 billion in medical costs and $86 billion in total costs
SOURCE of Information

Exercise is very important for people with Arthritis. The benefits include:
  • stronger muscles
  • less joint stiffness
  • protection against osteoporosis (important if taking glucocorticoid drugs)
  • weight control
  • mood improvement
  • less fatigue
  • stress reduction
SOURCE of Information

Do you suffer from the effects of arthritis on your body? If so what treatments have you tried with success. Please share, perhaps some others on the board can be helped by your experiences.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have mild arthritis in my right knee (and, I assume, my left knee) but I only know about it because I sprained my knee badly last year and my doctor sent me for an MRI; when he was interpreting the results he told me I had mild arthritis in my knee, but I didn't know it until then, and I've had no symptoms. I do take glucosamine / chondroitin with MSM as a preventative - hopefully, it will work (seems to have so far).

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have it in the joints and take a mild arthistis pain medication from a doctor to control it
Terry

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't now, but I am honestly expecting it eventually with all the knee problems I have....hoping 10 years from now they can cure it for me.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have moderate osteoarthritis in both my knees and my mid back. I find when the weather is in the single digits below zero and wet, damp weather it acts up more then normal. Humidity can be a killer also.

I take Arthrotec during those times that helps immensely but I try to avoid taking it if at all possible because it play havoc on my stomach.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm fortunate that I'm not (yet) showing any symtoms of it, nor is it common in my family. But that said, do you know if it's hereditary?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have it in my left hand and can see the signs of it in other parts of my boy. I don't let it bother me to much and ignor as much as possib;e the problems it causes at times. I know it will get worse as time goes by but I'll deal with that when it happens

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
I'm fortunate that I'm not (yet) showing any symtoms of it, nor is it common in my family. But that said, do you know if it's hereditary?

Most aren't but gouty arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis are hereditary.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
No, but I do have psoriasis which is an inflammatory condition of the immune system (t-cell regulated) and it has arthritis connected to it (psoriatic arthritis). But that development is "spot related" as in where you have the psoriasis on the skin is where the arthritis develops (i.e. elbow...arthritis of the elbows). Mine is primarily on my face and scalp...at this point.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not so sure if I have it yet, but i have been developing knee problems and especially when I run they tend to crack.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I definitely have osteoarthritis in my knees but exercise helps. Without exercise the bony growths come down, cause irritation and the wicked cycle begins. When you keep the joints rotating it doesn't build up. When the ligaments are strong, the joint rotates as it should. I'm up to six classes a week now with leading kickboxing and TKD classes and have gotten better this week with the load increase. (as opposed to feeling like an old woman last week at this time. Actually I feel great mentally and physically now that its Thursday, after five classes this week. So I think the body adapts still.. at 56. But jumping is not sane at my age so only on an insane moment will I indulge, to suffer later. It is funny who I am getting in my new classes. They are the over 45 group who at first when they call, tell me that they may be too old for this... :) TW

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Got it, exercise and warm dry weather and a good diet help.

boricuatkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with rhumetoid arthritis about 2 years ago. Some days are good and some are bad. But it doesn't stop me from working out. My friends and family try to convince me that I am doing my body worse damage by continueing my training. But to be honest, the days I don't train I feel worse. Doing tkd helps keep my joints moving. And yah, after a good workout, I usually have to hit the meds pretty hard but to me its worth it. Before I started really working out there were days when I couldn't even hold a pencil and my knees would swell up like basketballs. Tkd has really helped keep it under wraps.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SInce my car accident I've got it and like Lisa said, when it's damp, cold it aches.. didn't realize it til the doc informed me after x'raying my foot that I have it now in my feet.. I don't rely on meds.. just live with it.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
boricuatkd said:
I was diagnosed with rhumetoid arthritis about 2 years ago. Some days are good and some are bad. But it doesn't stop me from working out. My friends and family try to convince me that I am doing my body worse damage by continueing my training. But to be honest, the days I don't train I feel worse. Doing tkd helps keep my joints moving. And yah, after a good workout, I usually have to hit the meds pretty hard but to me its worth it. Before I started really working out there were days when I couldn't even hold a pencil and my knees would swell up like basketballs. Tkd has really helped keep it under wraps.

boricuatkd,

with your rheumatoid arthritis, do you also have drug injection therapies with gold or anything else?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know if it is arthritis, but my knees creak when I do certain leg exercises and they ache after training. I sometimes just take some aleve and I am OK.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
boricuatkd said:
My friends and family try to convince me that I am doing my body worse damage by continueing my training.

The worst thing people do in relation to the aging process and various health conditions is stop moving!

The human body is designed for movement and activity, don't neglect that.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
The worst thing people do in relation to the aging process and various health conditions is stop moving!

The human body is designed for movement and activity, don't neglect that.
I agree! I have also been told numerous times that people need to take each joint in the body through it's full range of motion every day. It will maintain good joint mobility. Good joint mobility will keep you youthful. What is the first thing to go as people get old? Joint mobility.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
I agree! I have also been told numerous times that people need to take each joint in the body through it's full range of motion every day. It will maintain good joint mobility. Good joint mobility will keep you youthful. What is the first thing to go as people get old? Joint mobility.
Exactly. Once I first got (I'm a younger cat) a job that required what is common to most modern jobs/careers; lots of walking around, sitting, some minor manual labor...I found myself quite "tight" after work. This got me to thinking, did I ever remember seeing my folks stretch or just move after coming home from work? Nope. Surely they must have experienced the same feeling of "tired" and "tight"? Most certainly. This constant response to daily activity with nothing done to combat it?!?!? Terrible! And people wonder why after years of working they run into nagging pains and problems...

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay...it has been damp here for the last week or so and all I can say is

OOOWWWWW!

Damn, I am in pain. Started taking my Arthrotec again but it is playing havoc on my stomach.

Thought I would revive this thread and ask if anyone has any tips or meds they use that help them

Latest Discussions