Distance learning

Honestly. Mr. Justice's school is less than 10 minutes away from Kansas City Community College so it is no sweat to go after school on Mondays and Wed Nights. One of the reasons I picked him is the nearness of his school. Of course being a 7th Dan helps too lol lol

mark, i am glad that you found out for yourself the difference between a 2-dimensional tv screen and a 3-dimensional instructor. i am looking forward to meeting and attending mr justice's class at the ltkka camp in las vegas next month. best wishes on your new journey... pete.

Looking forward to meeting everyone next year in Las Vegas and if the wifes want to get together and play the slots ( :idunno: ) then we can be free for a few hours lol lol

Mark Weiser said:
Of course being a 7th Dan helps too lol lol

Although belt colors show, they are no proof that you know...

~SGM Parker

Keep that in mind...

Good Luck, jb

jbkenpo said:
Although belt colors show, they are no proof that you know...

~SGM Parker

Keep that in mind...

Good Luck, jb

You should really meet Walter before saying that.

DarK LorD

I agree with you Mark. Due to my location (Sarasota, Florida) I am unable to attend a school regularly. By distance learning, I was more interested in experiences where a person was working with an instructor but only attending classes maybe one a month while working out privately. I agree that it is nearly impossible to learn good kenpo just using a video tape. You need to work techniques and have an instructor observe and explain. Not to mention sparring, which I think is absolutely essential.

Mark Weiser said:
Looking forward to meeting everyone next year in Las Vegas and if the wifes want to get together and play the slots ( :idunno: ) then we can be free for a few hours lol lol
Sounds good to me Mark. Looking forward to meeting you.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

I haven't weighed in on a subject here in quite awhile. May as well be this one. :)

I would say that it would have to be very basic, very easily correctable, and if not corrected the bad habits that develop wouldn't damage the knowledge being gained. Meaning for example, your goal was a simple straight palm running up an opponent's centerline wouldn't necessarily be bad even if you fish tailed a bit.

That boils down to simple self-defense techniques, not an entire "system". With a strong will, self-discipline, corrective practice you would be able to learn the basic details of techniques, but how much? How much better would you be with an expert instructor viewing and correcting your techniques just one time a month? Imagine 2x a month so correction to bad habits could be stopped almost imediately instead of breaking them and having to relearn?

The issue I see isn't that video is a bad media to teach students, it is but a single tool that should be used in the over all picture of gaining knowledge. What I see happening is a lot of instructors and students are seeing it as the "all in" method of learning. This is where having years of experience will help you. This is how video can help you gain knowledge when you are unable to experience it first hand.

Learning from scratch? I will say no. To many fatal errors can be made in a single jab or jab/cross combo, how many errors are going to be made in a full on Kenpo Technique (even if it has been stripped down to the bare basics for ease of learning)?

Experience is a great teacher. Because I watched "Saving Private Ryan" does that make me a combat vet, even if I watched it 100x and practiced the combat rolls, low crawls and markmanship?

Until you feel it, it aint fricken real.

I am a video student, I also am lucky and have access to some quality instructors, I also have nearly 15 years in the game. I am also a "Live" student. Meaning I get bruises and bloody noses when I make a mistake, not a tape saying try it this way.

Okay I went to my first full class under Walter Justice. I have to tell you that the teaching was awesome! The finer points in having a one to one class with a Senior BB can never be turned down lol.

I learned so much in one hour I had to go home and practice lol. The finer details are missed so much in Video Training.

For instance foot placements and learning why we do the moves in Kenpo. Having a real person to react too and having him show me why the S.D Techniques are set up in this order was AWESOME!!!

Mark Weiser said:
The finer details are missed so much in Video Training.
I have to agree with you; although, I do think a person can pick up on the "shell" of a technique through media.

Theban_Legion said:
I have to agree with you; although, I do think a person can pick up on the "shell" of a technique through media.
It might be good as a reference for an art that you already know.

Your Bro.
John

Brother John said:
It might be good as a reference for an art that you already know.
Agreed.
I don't doubt that a person with a solid foundation formed of live instruction can then learn by watching.

Back