Different guard techniques while throwing a swing kick

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
I visited a friend's camp recently and was shown a few different ways of putting up a guard/covering your head while doing a swing kick. So far in my camp I've only been taught the standard keep your lead hand out towards the opponent and your rear hand on your jaw. Since my memory is terrible I'm asking for tips/input about said topic. Hopefully when I read it I'll be able to remember this time. :)

Giorgio

Green Belt
Reaction score
That's the only one i've really learned as well... we covered another method, where your lead hand is still projected towards your opponent, with palm forward, and your cross arm is wrapped along the vertical line of your face, with your elbow in front of your nose. We were taught only to use this when really getting beaten down, and to retreat almost purely defensively. Never really had the instinct to use it, though.

I suppose alternate guards might just be a full guard with both hands at the face, but apart from that, I can't imagine. Anyone else?

OP
K

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Giorgio that jogged my memory a bit. I do remember him demonstrating both hands up like a regular guard with the kick. I also remember an elbow block but can't recall if it was across the face like you described or if it was held against your head like blocking a hook. I tried recalling them and practiced some during shadow but it felt really awkward.

Anyway the instructor was commenting on how "traditional" my muay thai is. My friend's instructor is teaching a "modern" approach to muay thai with mixed elements. He demonstrated some pretty interesting moves. I can already see my ajahn shaking his head in disapproval. lol

I'll try the back elbow across the face like you described. I think I can comfortably transition into that one.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have been a few different methods on this as well.

The more traiditional method I learned, is to have the lead hand extend towards the opponent as you stated, however the backhand of the rear arm is brought up the the forehead to protect the face.

I have also been taught by another Kru to let the lead arm dissapear behind the kicking leg. I was told this gives more rotation in the hip. The rear hand would then come across the body to make contact with lead shoulder. This gives you midesction protection duing the kick.

and lastly, I have also learned to propel the arms in small circular motions during the beginning of kick. This has the leading hand extending out towards the opponent, while the rear hand makes contact with the rear-side temple.

Its really just a matter of preference in my opinion.

Drag'n

Green Belt
Reaction score
I used to always extend my lead hand out, but recently one of my trainers suggested I swing it more round behind, as its less tiring.
I took his advice and I find I'm getting more power into the kick with less effort.
Swinging the arm seems to help the hips rotate and its also helps you stay more relaxed throughout the movement.That means I can kick harder, faster and with less energy expended.
I still use the extended arm in some low kick situations though, when I need it there for protection or to deflect a punch.

OP
K

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank you guys they were great tips. While experimenting I did notice that hand positioning greatly affects the power of the kick. I'm going to play around with them more so find which way I'm most comfortable with.

Latest Discussions