Did Mr. Parker Sell Out to Elvis?

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Goldendragon7

Thank you for the link to such a great site. I think everyonw who has read any of the stories feels the same way I do, that we all owe you a thank you for pointing us to a great site.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I can't wait. Mrs Doreen Cogliandro told us some great tales when she was at The OKKA camp earlier this month. I think the oral traditons in the martial arts are one of the greatest treasures there is. People often over look the little lessons in some of the stories.

OP
C

clapping_tiger

From stories I have heard Elvis was a true black belt, but was given the "honorary" 7th degree. My theory on this is that Mr. Parker wanted to boost the reputation of his schools, So when his American Kenpo franchise hit, it would make it's way into every home in America. That would be a smart move. But that is only my speculation.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
can you post the link to the site again Mr. C? I didn't see it in the thread and I would love to read it. one more thing, is it true that no where on Elvis's cert. for 8th dan that no where does it say "Honorary?" it was actual cert?

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by Klondike93

Check out an interesting article at the Tracy's web site for another side to the story -

http://www.tracyskarate.com/Stories/was_elvis_really_a_black_belt.htm
......................................................................................

Thanks for the link it was interesting reading

As far as Mike Stone vs Elvis.. I never heard of it before.. Before I read the article I would have said Mike Stone would have kicked as* but after reading it I am not sure

Gene GAbel

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by Chronuss

can you post the link to the site again Mr. C? I didn't see it in the thread and I would love to read it. one more thing, is it true that no where on Elvis's cert. for 8th dan that no where does it say "Honorary?" it was actual cert?
Because he is like family, I will forgive him.....this time. I read him the paragraph in the Journey that dealt with this issue.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OP
G

GouRonin

We all chip in and buy Al Tracy a spell & grammar checker software package.

Mistah Farmah Suh? Can ya do sumthin' 'bout dat?

OP
G

GouRonin

Go easy on him. I can't wait till you get older and start telling stories of how Ed Parker Sr. walked on water.

...of course he just knew where the stones in the water were hidden!

Hmmm...I mean that as a joke but I see a great metaphor in there.

D@mn, I'm good...

OP
G

GouRonin

She tells everyone!

Sheesh!

Is NOTHING sacred anymore?
:rolleyes:

OP
G

GouRonin

I better go back to the Systema section.
:rolleyes:

OP
H

hatamotoyoshi

i once read an article in blackbelt magazine that stated,
"Mr. Parker was asked if elvis was a blackbelt;he stated,
yes he was a blackbelt."
good enough for me, i don't think mr. Parker would ever say someone had a blackbelt if he was unable to defend himself.
and i add that all the kenpo blackbelts i've seen, move like they mean it.
hi, gou i'm not stalking you but every thread i find interesting...
you are already there.:rofl:

Latest Discussions