Did 1v2 for the first time today...

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
...and it was FUN!

Small class, odd number of students, and we were trying to mix-n-match so we didn't double up on people we'd sparred. I figured rather than have someone sit out I'd just take 2 of them on at once. It was a blast!

My tactics were:
1) Ingress at a diagonal to the outside of the pair, so only the one I was moving towards was in range, or
2) Feint towards one to make him step back, and then counter the other as he takes what he thinks is an opening.

My tactics seemed to work pretty well. The sad part is I learned these strategies playing World of Warcraft, so :/

But like I said in the first line, it was a blast!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nothing sad about how one develops strategy. You go, bro!

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nothing sad about how one develops strategy. You go, bro!

For mutlipe person combat strategy I reccomend "What the Masters Know" It has a section on this. Good easy read (Bad Title)

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
The last time I sparred 2 on 1 (me being the 1), through positioning, I managed, at one point, to get one opponent to accidentally hit the other one instead of me.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We do full on full contact 4 0n 1 which is standard for bb test you can't handle that should not have a bb belt go to you tube look as Steven Segal's bb test they did not want to come in on him every one else was a pig pile. You need to be able handle that with out breaking a sweat I love multiple attackers because you can use their bodies against the other guys but multiple attackers in real life are cowards and I have no problem hurting them the gloves are off it so easy if you have been taught by a real master not a Mc dojo

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually with the amount of legwork involved...we break a sweat 1-on-1, it's even worse with multiple opponents :p

Crossracer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
At the end of my classes we have a street fight. We don't tell the "victim" how long he has to fight, generally 1-4 minutes long.
It really teaches people to control their fighting, stack people , and plan on endurance. If nothing else it shows even the cockiest fighter that a group fight will gass you in no time flat.

Lots of fun though.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sparring one against 2,3 etc, is a lot of fun. Training self defense is also fun, but completely different.

Defeating multiples is about controlling space and owning time. You have to keep moving in, vortexing them through position. You need to create chaos. (in a specific way) Attitude is everything, both yours and theirs. Dealing with real world violence demands that you think "crafty" rather than athletic or Martial. You have to learn to be cunning before you can deal with multiple attackers. Street criminals are not smarter than you, and they're usually not better educated than you. But they tend to be more cunning.
The principles of defeating multiples are attitude, entering space, time framing, landscaping, position, sight and accessing a weapon (optional). The techniques are yours. You apply your own techniques through the principles of multiples.

There is also a specific component and training to getting knocked to the ground while dealing with multiples. The ground certainly isn't a good place to be, but there are specific principles and positions that should be trained to save your ***. When you fight someone man on man, in order to win you have to dominate that person. When fighting multiples you don't have to dominate anyone, you have to dominate the situation. (big difference)

For anyone interested, I offer a seminar, completely free of charge, to any and all police officers and/or Martial Artists. (you buy the coffee) I'll even travel up to a hundred miles to your place (okay, you buy TWO cups of coffee.) Or I'll set one up here in the Boston suburban area.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
We do full on full contact 4 0n 1 which is standard for bb test you can't handle that should not have a bb belt go to you tube look as Steven Segal's bb test they did not want to come in on him every one else was a pig pile. You need to be able handle that with out breaking a sweat I love multiple attackers because you can use their bodies against the other guys but multiple attackers in real life are cowards and I have no problem hurting them the gloves are off it so easy if you have been taught by a real master not a Mc dojo

If you can handle 4 on 1 without breaking a sweat, you're up against children or your opponents aren't really fighting.

Sent from my SHV-E210K using Tapatalk

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Defeating multiples is about controlling space and owning time. You have to keep moving in, vortexing them through position. You need to create chaos. (in a specific way) Attitude is everything, both yours and theirs. Dealing with real world violence demands that you think "crafty" rather than athletic or Martial. You have to learn to be cunning before you can deal with multiple attackers. Street criminals are not smarter than you, and they're usually not better educated than you. But they tend to be more cunning.
The principles of defeating multiples are attitude, entering space, time framing, landscaping, position, sight and accessing a weapon (optional). The techniques are yours. You apply your own techniques through the principles of multiples.

Ironically, the only time I do not have a weapon of some kind on me is when I am at, going to, or going from TKD class. So my self defense class leaves me defenseless...

(Reason is, there's no place for it in my uniform, I'm NOT leaving a weapon in my bag with a bunch of kids around who all have the same bag I do, and there's no point carrying one in the car just to and from the gym).

For anyone interested, I offer a seminar, completely free of charge, to any and all police officers and/or Martial Artists. (you buy the coffee) I'll even travel up to a hundred miles to your place (okay, you buy TWO cups of coffee.) Or I'll set one up here in the Boston suburban area.

Well, I exceed that by 2971 miles, so I think I'm out :p

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would get mauled two on one. They would be on me like rabid dogs.

Latest Discussions