DF: Which is yours favourite meditation music and other?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score

Tomu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I practice zazen so music would kind of defeat the purpose. But if one was doing meditation for relaxation or visualization then good music could be helpful.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm sorry but IMO

Meditation + music = no meditation

Meditation + music = sitting and listening to music

But I suppose it could at least give the mind monkeys something to dance to :D

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry but IMO

But I suppose it could at least give the mind monkeys something to dance to :D
Not true. Brian Eno has released music meant to be played at just below your hearing level. I would say that meditation can be acheived at these sound levels without to much trouble. Is there a meditation rule book that states no audio should be going on? If birds happen to be chirping outside, would you then not just be sitting and listening to the birds?
Sean

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not true. Brian Eno has released music meant to be played at just below your hearing level. I would say that meditation can be acheived at these sound levels without to much trouble. Is there a meditation rule book that states no audio should be going on? If birds happen to be chirping outside, would you then not just be sitting and listening to the birds?
Sean

Just as a note IMO = In My Opinion.

If you like to meditate to music go for it if you want to buy a CD you can't hear to better your meditation practice more power to you.

As for me

I use to listen to music many years ago, Chinese and Japanese actually, when doing taiji (ok only Chinese for Taiji) and meditating (both Chinese and Japanese) and one day I discovered that it was relaxing but as for the meditation bits it was mostly distracting &#8220;for me&#8221; so I stopped and &#8220;for me&#8221; things got better I was "In My Opinion" actually meditating.

Maybe it wouldn&#8217;t be the same for you, but it was that way for me. Also &#8220;IMO&#8221; Relaxation is not meditation although one tends to be relaxed while meditating relaxing is not &#8220;IMO&#8221; meditation.

I am not nor have I ever claimed to be a master of anything and certainly not meditation.

You wish to disagree with me and state what I am saying is not true go for it I have no intension of arguing about meditation that would be a bit silly... again IMO (In My Opinion) :asian:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just as a note IMO = In My Opinion.

If you like to meditate to music go for it if you want to buy a CD you can't hear to better your meditation practice more power to you.

As for me

I use to listen to music many years ago, Chinese and Japanese actually, when doing taiji (ok only Chinese for Taiji) and meditating (both Chinese and Japanese) and one day I discovered that it was relaxing but as for the meditation bits it was mostly distracting “for me” so I stopped and “for me” things got better I was "In My Opinion" actually meditating.

Maybe it wouldn’t be the same for you, but it was that way for me. Also “IMO” Relaxation is not meditation although one tends to be relaxed while meditating relaxing is not “IMO” meditation.

I am not nor have I ever claimed to be a master of anything and certainly not meditation.

You wish to disagree with me and state what I am saying is not true go for it I have no intension of arguing about meditation that would be a bit silly... again IMO (In My Opinion) :asian:
Sorry I must have missed the opinion part.
Sean

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It depends very much what you mean by "meditation". The word covers a huge variety of things. Without a good working definition it's impossible to answer the quetion.

For zazen or "withdraw the senses" yogas listening to music makes no sense.

There are sounds designed to induce specific mental and emotional conditions. If that's the goal of the particular meditation it can be very helpful. Bach's B Minor Mass and the Kol Nidre chant during the Jewish High Holy Days are a couple of the more famous examples. My friend and unindicted co-conspirator Mushtaq has lent me a number of decidedly non-musical sounds which make the state changes smoother in the beginning.

Are things like Sufi zikr meditation? If so. music is sometimes an integral part. The Mevlevi (Whirling Dervishes) and quite a few others use drums and other instruments, particularly in group practice.

Quite a few African and Afro-Carribean spiritual traditions use drums extensively. Drum music is inseparable from the practice. In fact, there is a set of double-headed drums whose name escapes me right now. Their only purpose and their entire repertoire is within the broad outlines of meditation, devotional exercise and, hmm, opening doors to let things in whether from inside or outside the participants' heads.

Latest Discussions