detroit

P

progressivetactics

Does anyone know of a good internal teacher in the Detroit area?

OP
P

progressivetactics

I guess I don't know. To learn more about internal arts. Not anyone in particular, just yet.......just more basic information as to who and what is around.

OP
L

liangzhicheng

Well, there is Wu Style in the Detroit area. For those unacquainted with Wu Style, it is one of the five major families of Taijiquan. It is characterized by the forward lean, 100% weight separation, and small circles. We have two academies in this area, one in Ann Arbor, and the other in Royal Oak. Both Sifus have been allowed by the Wu family to accept their own disciples. Furthermore, there are several other locations for classes including: Auburn Hills, Birmingham, Clawson, Detroit, Mt. Clemens, and Tecumseh. Please check out the link in my signature for more information, if you are interested :asian:

OP
M

Ma_Kuiwu

Sir,
I know that there is a Yang family Shifu in the area as well. One of my professors studies with one of her many students in the Grand Rapids Area, and often travels to detroit to train.

Let me give you some things to chew on.

What are you hoping to get out of this? I ask because too often today people are taught forms and qigong. This promotes health, longevity, and flexibility. However it is a rare thing indeed to find someone who teaches the applications, pushing hands, and actual defensive properties in addition to the previously mentioned forms and qigong.

Iron body, and iron palm, are also some aspects of good internal training.

Now I know of two teachers like this in the Grand Rapids area. Lucky me. I know one of the 12 Guardians lives in the Detroit area, but you would have to drag him out of retirement. I have someone I would seriously ask, if you want to talk to him I will arrange it. He is quite a significant figure in the Chinese community here.

Latest Discussions