Anyone have experience or know anything about sanshou/sanda?

B

berry king

Hi everyone, I have been doing contemporary wushu for the past few months and like it very much. The only thing is, that wushu is not a very combat/self defense oriented martial art and i have been wanting to add some sort of combat and full contact oriented martial art because i like to spar and fight too. So i have been thinking of taking up sanshou. Anyone have experience with this art? How is it? I also have muay thai as another candidate, how are these 2 arts different? I'd imagine muay thai is more agressive and brutal overall, but any other differences in rules or anything? I think i read somewhere that you cant use elbows in sanshou whereas in muay thai i know you can. Anyway thank you all for reading this and your comments and suggestions i appreciate it.

OP
L

lvwhitebir

From my experience you can't elbow in San Shou Lei Tai, but can in some (international) Muy Thai rules. The main difference to me is that San Shou has a strict point structure that includes takedowns. In Muy Thai, there are no takedowns.

WhiteBirch