Deficiencies in WSL teachings

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
This thread was created because our minds are open and we welcome criticism. If you are unable or unwilling to attempt to refute the points I've made here, I at least hope you are honest enough with yourself to consider them in your training, if you care. You don't have to tell anyone here.

Gee thanks! :rolleyes: And you still wonder why I am unwilling to waste my time and effort on you?

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sorry you would have to ask Alan to reply because I cant really answer. It is a good breakdown I think. Im not sure about some of the things you have pointed out.

We do not shift past our toes though. You would fall forward.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry you would have to ask Alan to reply because I cant really answer. It is a good breakdown I think. Im not sure about some of the things you have pointed out.

We do not shift past our toes though. You would fall forward.

@Dude: That clip of Alan that LFJ posted was nearly 10 years old. Do you notice any changes in Alan's stance, specifically regarding the pelvis, and any "appearance" of leaning forward between then and the way he moves now?

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
@Dude: That clip of Alan that LFJ posted was nearly 10 years old. Do you notice any changes in Alan's stance, specifically regarding the pelvis, and any "appearance" of leaning forward between then and the way he moves now?

It just is not as obvious as in those videos and more developed now.

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It just is not as obvious as in those videos and more developed now.

I don't think much use in asking Alan about it- he generally has refused to discuss in the past.

If Alan hasn't asked you not to then I personally would be very glad to hear your take on it. You must have some formulated ideas of how it works, otherwise how would you be able to dismiss LFJ's criticism? Discussing those ideas might be very helpful for both of us.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think much use in asking Alan about it- he generally has refused to discuss in the past.

Likely because he knows your posting habits. You come off all innocent and nice when trying to get someone to divulge info. But things quickly change when the discussion gets going. We've seen that over and over now. And if you don't, again that's just evidence that you seriously lack personal insight.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
For not wanting to waste your time and effort on us, you sure hang around this thread a lot. Probably waiting for more crumbs. If you don't have any refutation to make, I don't know why else you keep coming back.

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For not wanting to waste your time and effort on us, you sure hang around this thread a lot. Probably waiting for more crumbs. If you don't have any refutation to make, I don't know why else you keep coming back.

Agree, seems like a waste of time.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone ever really stand still and pivot on both feet during a fight, in whichever way they do it?

The heel pivot is a training tool to test certain attributes and skills, not an application. It's kind of funny to hear criticisms that assume we're fighting like laap-sau drills and what "could happen" to us.

Well most people do things as they did when training them. It is not always easy to remove what has been trained from head to do it another way. I assume then if this is not how you do that turn, that you have other drills where you do the turn as expected?

Not in any way saying what you are doing is bad, it is just that abstract training is not that frequent for me. Interesting to hear more about though, well mildly interesting to be honest since you said heel pivot is just abstract training to better understand structure I assume.

For me, when I'm in fights I'm constantly mobile, cutting in, driving forward. When doing this, feet are flat and make short, almost gliding steps so that I maintain balance, a non-bouncing COG, and an uninterrupted power chain to the ground for delivering force at any moment.

This is just training, but watch his feet. Only short shuffling steps.

Unrelated but you mentioned bouncing (not that you do it but that you don't). Trained Karate at one point, they kept insisting on moving a certain way and then it came to fighting or kumite as they called it. It was a bounce festival. Everyone was going up and down, me to and I just never could get a grip on how to bounce while maintaining quick movability. Turns out I failed to understand that they were more interested in sport application and points.

Personally have respect for small gliding steps, it is all there in the curriculum. But I am not a purifist or how it is called, if it works, it works.[/QUOTE]

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
I assume then if this is not how you do that turn, that you have other drills where you do the turn as expected?

What turn? In fighting I don't do much standing still and pivoting on both feet.

I see people talk about how they should pivot this way or that, and then demo it against a guy who steps in and poses a single punch for them to do bong, taan, or jam. But against a faster, more dynamic attack, especially one that is more than a single punch... they actually step/move, because... duh!

I have reasons for pivoting on the heels and why not other ways in forms and drills, but it's not because I'm going to be standing there like that in a fight.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
What turn? In fighting I don't do much standing still and pivoting on both feet.

I see people talk about how they should pivot this way or that, and then demo it against a guy who steps in and poses a single punch for them to do bong, taan, or jam. But against a faster, more dynamic attack, especially one that is more than a single punch... they actually step/move, because... duh!

I have reasons for pivoting on the heels and why not other ways in forms and drills, but it's not because I'm going to be standing there like that in a fight.

Ok, maybe I was not clear at all. I can grant you that. :)

I meant pivot on one foot, if you train to pivot on heels for abstract purposes only then how do you train to pivot during fight?

Doubt you pivot on both feet, but there might be some situation where it occurs in real life. Just have no example of it, was just interested in the pivot itself because there are times when you do pivot on your feet even if not both and not for the same reason or same stance.

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, maybe I was not clear at all. I can grant you that. :)

I meant pivot on one foot, if you train to pivot on heels for abstract purposes only then how do you train to pivot during fight?

Doubt you pivot on both feet, but there might be some situation where it occurs in real life. Just have no example of it, was just interested in the pivot itself because there are times when you do pivot on your feet even if not both and not for the same reason or same stance.

I think you have misunderstood LFJ's post.

He isn't saying that pivoting on the heels during drilling is completely abstract, just that it isn't an application

One example of pivoting is retreating footwork

For example here:

https://video-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v...=3ac306206cc11384d32ba5eeb42b4cc6&oe=573A16E0

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
He isn't saying that pivoting on the heels during drilling is completely abstract, just that it isn't an application

How are you guys defining the word "application" in terms of your Wing Chun?

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Done in reality exactly as in the drill

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What "drill" are you talking about?

I was talking about drilling in general, because you asked for a generalised definition of application.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was talking about drilling in general, because you asked for a generalised definition of application.

Do you punch the same way in fighting that you do in your general drills? Do you step in with footwork in fighting the way you do in your Lop Da/Chi Sau drills?

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would reply but tbh I dont know if you are right or wrong in your synopsis about CSL. Alan hasnt told me not to post on forums, I just decided to tone down the amount of forum posting I do.

In my own experience though I prefer the CSL and get better results from it then from having my weight in my heels. But we have it on the balls of our feet as a neutral position, we constantly adjust our foot bow to the pressure we are taking.

Latest Discussions