Defending against a dog

E

edhead2000

My dad is a mailman and has had several dog attacks (yes, I know, you can laugh now :)) The worst one I remember, he was in the hospital and out of work for weeks, tore up his leg. The dog was euthanized. A few months ago he had a dog lunge through the living room picture window at him, shattering the glass. That was a special forces police dog. And a few other minor incidents.

His biggest piece of advise is aviodance. If there is a dog loose, he will not enter the yard (he has a 12 mile walking route). All the post office gives him is pepper spray (go gov't!) to deter the attacks and he has used it successfully on many occasions. His new trick is to carry around dog treats in his pocket and give them to all the dogs everyday. Most of the dogs now look forward to seeing him! :) He also carries cat treats so as to not exclude the kitties. But he's never been attacked by a cat. :)

So if you carry pepper spray on your keychain or purse, it does work wonders on dogs. I know it's not martial arts, but whatever works.

drunken mistress

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I once went to visit a large garden that a woman I knew slightly had opened to the public in an attempt to raise money for charity. I saw a large Rottweiler bounding towards me as I went through the gate. My two friends fled back to the car. I had just assumed the dog would be okay and it was as friendly as a kitten. I think if you are not afraid it´s a big help with dogs.

E

edhead2000

Originally posted by kenpo12
Huh?

The dog is on the Virginia Task Force One Team: Farifax County Fire and Rescue Department, Urban Search and Rescue. This is one of only 27 FEMA US&R Task Forces spread throughout the continental United States trained and equipped by FEMA to handle structural collapse.

Special Operations dog, works for VA Task Force One and several police departments -- freelance work you could say. :)

C

CoolKempoDude

how come we are talking about "defending against a dog" in America while Chinese are talking about "the different ways to cook a dog" ???????;) :D

i thought dogs are men's best friend. You all should learn 1 thing. You should never be Chinese best friend UNLESS you want to end up on Chinese's meal like "their best friend, dog".

These people!!!!!!!

K

kenpo12

i thought dogs are men's best friend. You all should learn 1 thing. You should never be Chinese best friend UNLESS you want to end up on Chinese's meal like "their best friend, dog".

And thank you for the close minded racist statement of the day.

Ignorance must be bliss.

C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by kenpo12
And thank you for the close minded racist statement of the day.

Ignorance must be bliss.

not if that is what you meant.

my previous statement was a joke. Dont you see sarcasium here. I guess people take way too serious in everything nowsday.

sheehhhh

Old Tiger

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have posted on this previously, but wish to add to this thread. Most people have no idea what dogs are capable of. I presently own and train an American Bulldog for personal protection. I understand people's concern with this issue. However, the issue is how to defend against "loose" dogs that may attack you. This is a serious issue. More effort should be brought to bear on the powers to be to ENFORCE the leash laws that exist. It distresses me to see that right now, in my state, they are AGAIN trying to pass a BS law listing dogs as dangerous weapons. This law would target specific breeds and make it possible for communities, cities, and townships to outlaw the ownership of certain breeds. This is due to Gross misunderstanding of dogs in general. lets pick on Pit Bulls. They are naturally a target. People have been attacked by dogs labled as "Pit bulls". Even though TRUE pits are completely not people aggressive and are actually a rather small dog. There is NO way to enforce such a law. Also, it is ridiculous. For example, I have a pit bull living next door. It is a great dog and totally non people aggressive. Two doors down is a "mutt" that is incredibly vicious and would attack anyone if it could get out of it's fence. Labs are kown to be lovable family pets. Yet I personally know of very vicious labs. There is no way to enforce such legislation. However, you can enforce the existing leash laws and punish owners who ignore them. My dog never leaves the house, even to go to the fenced back yard, with out being on a leash with a 3.8mm spike collar. He is completely in my control as all good training systems emphasize obedience over attack training. I know of one trainer who temperment tests his dogs at a young age BEFORE protection training them. If they fail they are euthanized. That is how seriously they take this issue. In addition, if you do the statistical research on the number of dog attacks compared to the number of dogs owned as contrasted to violent attacks perpertrated by humans... we should be outlawing humans. Much of the problem is perception and propaganda. I have a right to talk about this because my daughter has been attacked five times. It is personal with me. She loves my AB and dogs in general despite her negative experiences.
If you want a loving companion and are concerned about self defense but don't have the time, money, inclination or whatever to learn to defend yourself physically or with weapons, a good dog is a wonderful option. Walking with a dog is a good deterrent in itself. If you do own a dog and walk it on a leash, do not let strangers approach your dog to pet it. Most dogs are fear biters unless trained and many people emit pheromones that agitate even the most passive of dogs.
As a lifelong martial artist, protection dog owner and trainer, let me say this:
There is no tried and true general method for defending yourself. As stated above different things have worked for different people in different situations and it is also dependent upon the dog. If you are attacked..please prosecute the neglegent owner to the full extent of the law. Your martial skills however, will probably provide little if any assistance. They are much faster than you are. Their reflexes are actually faster than cats reflexes. You will need some type of weapon, your belt, a stick anything. Wrap a coat or shirt or something around your arm and put it between you and the animal. That is...if you have time to do so. You cannot outrun the animal. If the animal is determined, you may be in the fight of your life. After you have prosecuted the owner, insist that the dog is euthanized. There already exist specific laws regarding this in most states.
I am going to try and post a photo here of a protection trained American bulldog. This is just to show how capable a dog is of protecting you and that it is a good option for self protection. It is also completely legal and requires no special permits as do guns.
This is Panda, two years old. Her self confidence has been built up to the point that she fears no weapon or opponent. My AB is not yet two years old, weighs 106 lbs and is still growing. This is just one of many excellent breeds for personal protection, and my favorite. Panda is slightly smaller.

Attachments

• $pandakenmcoymuzzlework2yrso.jpg
    $pandakenmcoymuzzlework2yrso.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 154

Likaes the Bandit

White Belt
Reaction score
You Have To Kill Th E Dog As Soon As U Can And Anyway You Can , Lose Animal That Attack People Are A Problem To Society No Matter What Kind Of Animal It Is. That What I Think.
And If I Get In Trouble With Any Animal Lover Here. Let Me Asure You Thata Dog Bite Hurts A Lot, And I Dont Want To Ha Any Other Dog Bite Me Again. So Kill It That Wahth U Have To Do.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
If you are out somewhere, and attacked by a big feral dog, (The animal is snarling, and you have no idea if it has contracted rabies, distemper etc)

Well, in my running days in San Diego, I was attacked by a doberman once in the evening. Just saw a flash and a growl, I scrambled on a car hood and the roof, FAST. Not MA style, but no defense against that. Nice puppy dog. Owner came and got him. Didn't run around that neighborhood anymore. Then, I carried pepper spray and this supposedly excruciating whistle thing that dogs can't handle. Never had another incident, of course. Then I got a German Shepherd, huge running partner. Guys would cross over to the other side of the street. Loved Willie, :)

SifuJohnson

White Belt
Reaction score
I have no experience in this area so I talked to an old friend who did 3 tours in Vietnam with the Rangers. He told me that the Viet Cong used to wrap an arm with a shirt or some type of clothing for protection and allow the dog to bite the protected arm. They would then strike base of the base of the skull back behind the dog’s head with the forearm of the free arm and roll the head back using the protected arm to break the dogs neck. He went on to say that he had seen where they also shoved bamboo sticks the size of Arnis sticks down a dog’s throat to stop an attack. I would imagine that dogs like everything else have areas of great vulnerability. It would be interesting to talk with a veterinarian about this.

Would I try one of these things? I don’t know but in the absence of having a better solution I guess I would try anything if I felt my life was on the line. LOL I wonder how the “dog whisperer” on TV would handle something like this?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have no experience in this area so I talked to an old friend who did 3 tours in Vietnam with the Rangers. He told me that the Viet Cong used to wrap an arm with a shirt or some type of clothing for protection and allow the dog to bite the protected arm. They would then strike base of the base of the skull back behind the dog’s head with the forearm of the free arm and roll the head back using the protected arm to break the dogs neck. He went on to say that he had seen where they also shoved bamboo sticks the size of Arnis sticks down a dog’s throat to stop an attack. I would imagine that dogs like everything else have areas of great vulnerability. It would be interesting to talk with a veterinarian about this.
A dog's nose is probably it's weakest point. Strongest sense yes but because it's a bundle of nerves and a dog relies heavily upon it for input on it's surroundings. Smash that hard enough to make it bleed or even put it out of joint and the dog is out of reasons to keep fighting. Think of how badly a broken nose on a human feels... some can function but they're in pain. I've yet to see a dog stay in the fight once it's nose is out. If the dog has a hold of your arm or other then smash the nose... it'll let go and that right soon.

Another thing I've found that was interesting... on some dogs (not all and it's a crap shoot but worth trying anyway) is if you see a dog getting aggressive towards you... you'd be surprised what a good firm loud "NO!" will do. If the dog has been trained to any effect with that authoritative tone of command and that word (repeated time without number) they may stop in spite of themselves. It gives you a few seconds advantage to get back in your car, house or to find a weapon or get out of the area or whatever you need to do to up the ante.

Latest Discussions