defence against dogs........

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just give Rover a swift kick to the head and it should run away. Or yelling at it will belittle the dog and it will stick its tail between it legs and walk away. Only kill it if you have to. Rememmber a dog is still a living creature and it has a soul.

Sorry I am just a dog lover.....I would post a pic of my Tiger (Dog) but I do not have the powers to do it.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sin said:
Just give Rover a swift kick to the head and it should run away. Or yelling at it will belittle the dog and it will stick its tail between it legs and walk away. Only kill it if you have to. Rememmber a dog is still a living creature and it has a soul.
Sorry I am just a dog lover.....I would post a pic of my Tiger (Dog) but I do not have the powers to do it.
I wouldn't go as far as to say an animal has a soul... they are intuitive and intelligent and have capability to show affection to humans and other species...some of them do anyway...ever tried cuddling with a hungry shark or alligator?
But a soul... the reasoning behind our motivations and emotions... uhh, no.
But that's just IMO

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Dogs have traveled with men for thousands of years now, and they know to how to read us and our body language sometimes better than we know ourselves. I think because of our two species mutual history together a few certain things people can do will always give man the upper hand. The first, which I just mentioned was body language. Dogs can sense assertiveness and confidence in a way we can't always do. The second thing is to use that which makes us the baddest animal on earth: the opposable thumb. Fill your hand. Both are okay alone, but combine the two. The baddest meanest dog is going to change his attitude when you grab that golf club, bat or favorite whuppin stick and head towards it with the confidence and intention of sending him to the landfill. If it comes down to it, like 5hand swords said, man with club beats dog. When man and dog first became fellow travelers, when man roamed the plains hunting and gathering, you can bet that dog learned pretty quick that when man grabbed an implement and took on a certain attitude it meant he was getting ready to kill something, and it still freaks them out. Same with throwing projectiles at them. That was how we hunted and killed and ate, and sometimes what we hunted and killed and ate was dog. I love dogs too. And I think they have souls too.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
Dogs have traveled with men for thousands of years now, and they know to how to read us and our body language sometimes better than we know ourselves. I think because of our two species mutual history together a few certain things people can do will always give man the upper hand. The first, which I just mentioned was body language. Dogs can sense assertiveness and confidence in a way we can't always do. The second thing is to use that which makes us the baddest animal on earth: the opposable thumb. Fill your hand. Both are okay alone, but combine the two. The baddest meanest dog is going to change his attitude when you grab that golf club, bat or favorite whuppin stick and head towards it with the confidence and intention of sending him to the landfill. If it comes down to it, like 5hand swords said, man with club beats dog. When man and dog first became fellow travelers, when man roamed the plains hunting and gathering, you can bet that dog learned pretty quick that when man grabbed an implement and took on a certain attitude it meant he was getting ready to kill something, and it still freaks them out. Same with throwing projectiles at them. That was how we hunted and killed and ate, and sometimes what we hunted and killed and ate was dog. I love dogs too. And I think they have souls too.
While this is true to an extent, I've personally seen dogs with a total "no-fear" of man even if he has a gun (and the dog that knows what a gun is and can do to it) or a baton or a big stick or whatever. Dogs can be trained to attack regardless of the consenquences to itself. Severely hurt the dog in the course of the "fight" (which is the dog's view of it) and like any intelligent creature it'll back away and avoid getting hurt next time, but they will (if pressed or again, trained to) continue the attack. But thankfully these are few and far between and usually owned by the sadistic, military and some K-9 police force, though generally those dogs are trained to hold their quarry (read: criminal, suspect, prisoner, etc) until their "master" arrives, if left to their own they will tear into a person. Though not mindlessly. A highly (specialized) trained dog will stick to it's training via conditioning. They have no thought or reasoning of their own. This is why I cannot agree that animals have a "soul" like ours. Intelligence yes, without question. But reasoning? No.
Thing is also with man. How many people you know of that will have that total fearlessness of a big (German Shepard, Doberman, Rottwiler, etc.) snarling "I'm tearing you a new ****" dog? Very few ... same with the dogs.
The chances that the two shall meet... well, that'd make for an interesting video wouldn't it? (j/k)
Just as we have to be in a particular mindset when we walk out our doors into the big bad world to defend ourselves from human assailants we also need to keep a frame of mind for the canine versions. Having confidence to face both says a lot about a person.

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks KenpoTess. Well said MACaver, and it is absolutely true that I was thinking more of aggressive feral dogs than of dogs specifically trained to attack. Vadim's post had started me to rethinking my position too, as far as these types of dogs, after I reread this thread. Dogs want to please us so badly that they will go against their instincts and become killing machines for us. Makes me sick. Still , man with stick or crowbar or framing hammer or whatever beats dog, every time. and although I know you weren't serious, I wouldn't want to see the video, not ever. Not sure what you mean by reasoning. If left to its own devices , no conditioning, or training, a dog would decide a certain quarry is nothing to mess with. Sounds like reasoning to me albeit on a very primitive level. A human master has overriden the reasoning of the dogs when they are trained to attack. We condition human beings to kill each other, face danger, even certain death too, training ourselves the way we train dogs. Who is lacking reasoning, the trained or the trainers?

Reaction score
I have sat in an emergency room at least a few times while a small child has been brought in for treatment after being mauled. Some dogs will certainly attack and since this was my thread to begin with, your av aggressive dog, as opposed to your few and far between "Tramps " is what I was really directing my questions toward. The stick tht I was talking about wedging between his jaws is a strictly defence measure and if the dog didn't pounce to attack, there would be no need to use it. Its only when it went to bite, that you'd lodge it in its mouth and break its neck before it could do more damahge. Speaking of morally though ( and as far as the laws logic), it is at this stage that on the appropriate use of force continum the response is appropriate. That dog could be about to do grevious bodily harm. Unfortunately, it's justifiable and reasonable.

Blooming Lotus

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bloomingtianshilotus said:
I have sat in an emergency room at least a few times while a small child has been brought in for treatment after being mauled.
Blooming Lotus
There's a little difference with this type of attack. Since dogs are instinctively hunters... a small child could be perceived as prey, and harmless to it, which is why kids get mangled pretty good (and sadly killed sometimes) when attacked by a (large) dog.
This goes with the predatory instincts of the animal. Same goes for out in the wild. A kid wandering in the wilderness (deep wilderness mind you) has a higher chance of being attacked by a predator than say a strong adult. If the adult in question was injured and weak then their chances of being attacked goes up.
Same with feral animals in the cities/towns we live in. It's natural for a predatory animal to seek out weaker animals (in their eyes we are no different) and gauge if the "hunt" would pay off or not.

sojobow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
MACaver said:
This goes with the predatory instincts of the animal. Same goes for out in the wild. A kid wandering in the wilderness (deep wilderness mind you) has a higher chance of being attacked by a predator than say a strong adult.
I practice with and against a dog every day. I wanted to know first hand, up close, how they (a most prevalent animal) act and how their instincts work. Little dog now, but growing real fast and moves exceptionally fast. As he grows stronger, so will your abilities. Quite a bit safer than a Tiger, Crane, Cobra, Monkey, Dragon (those old Chinese styles). One thing I have learned from this experience is that these K-9s actually "grab" versus "bit." The damage I have incurred was due to my pulling, pushing against them assisting them in ripping the skin. They depend on you assisting them. So lesson learned, don't panic and fight against them but fight "with" them until you gain the advantage. They tire quickly. Which ever direction they pull, just go with them to avoid being ripped.

They also have to release the hold to take a breath. They are extremely fast and will Re-Grip the hold which presents an opportunity to move away. But again, if they regrip while you're pulling away, you get a hole in your arm.

I purposefully do this "training" because I notice that we have these "animal" strikes and stances and I wished to really understand what it is I was being taught about the "tiger claw."

I also think that, to be a more complete martial artist, one should have a trained animal at their side. They will save your life against man or animal. Noticed on the news recently where two Retrievers treed a mountain lion in southern cal. At least 3 died this year in southern cal due to mountain lion attacks. Those humans that lived, had a K-9 warrior on their side.

(If you run from a trained Rottweilder, you'll only die tired)

Hope this helps.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Blooming Lotus said:
Have heard an argument in recent months on dog defence tactics, and what to do when being attacked by one. No one really came up with any solid and from much experience so when i had the opportunity with a master trainer and highly reputed secuirty expert, I ran it by himself.

He seems to think that by getting the dog to bite some thing else ( like a stick or possibley something wider, his mouth is committed and disengaged from further attack, leaving you free to execute a mabu to gongbu style hand twist circle breaking rovers neck.

I've also heard that by pulling its 2 front legs apart , you cause its heart to burst.

He has used this before himself I think and it sounds like a good method. You do what you must but does any one have anything where you wouldn't need to kill it???

BL

Btw : sounds rediculous, but where is a dog most vulnerable to cavity strikes??? .....................
Are you talking chihuahua's? Seriously, in addition to martial arts, I work a police K9. If the dog you are being attacked by is just some aggressive untrained dog, then your best bet is to stand your ground, make yourself look big and yell really loud. If he runs at you, kick him in the chest as hard as you can. That will work against 99% of the dogs out there.

I promise you that if you're going up against a trained dog, though, he has more aggression and better weapons than you do if he's a truly rank dog who's been selection tested and has a solid temperment (meaning he won't run or back down). If you go up against this kind of 1%er dog, you better have a weapon, and it better be a good one. I know of a police K9 who was sent in to a building after a burgalar. The guy hit the dog in the head with a metal pipe as hard as he could. The dog then proceeded to seperate the muscle of the guys calf from the bone. Had it not been for the handler, the dog would probably have done worse. I kid you not, if you're going up against a trained dog, you're not going to rip his throat out with your hands, it sounds nice but it's not going to happen. If you're going to be dealing with these type of dogs, you better have at least a good knife. Bury the knife in his eye after you feed him your weak hand (I say weak hand, because if you're going to get a permanent disability, it might as well be your weak hand). Good luck.

P.S. as for the previous post about police K9's "grabbing", that's a bit of a misconception. Police K9's that are trained properly utilize a full mouth, deep bite, meaning they grip with the back of their mouth. What this allows is the dog to maintain the hold no matter how much you struggle. It will also crush the bones in your arm, so you "not struggling" won't help, except that a good police K9 will stop biting you if you don't struggle. A dog that wants to hurt you, will simply continue biting and will crush whatever bone he has ahold of. I know, i've been the recipient of an accidental bite. Lucky for me, he released before too much damage was done (I still needed 12 stitches) and that was accidental.

Still, the best advice is to stand your ground and NEVER run, running will encourage even a fairly timid dog who wouldn't really attack you, to attack. It invokes the dogs natural prey drive. Most dogs don't have the kind of fight drive required to actually attack an adult who stands their ground. That's reserved for those 1%er's I talked about before.

For those interested in understanding who to fight off a dog, you might study the different types of dog aggression. Fight, Prey, and Defense, so they can read a dogs intentions. This will go a long way towards helping you deal with an aggressive dog. A good start on the web would probably be www.leerburg.com it has some excellent articles on dealing with aggressive dogs, along with the different types of dog aggression.

G

greyghost

Kembudo had me rolling...great post.
With the average dog, yes, all that grabbing, yelling/kiaing and being the bigger, meaner dog works wonders. I have a pit bull mutt and she was a little headstrong at first - but I showed her I was louder, faster, and had no trouble putting her down. She's my best bud.

But against a feral, hell-bent creature who has been trained to be deadly? You got me there.

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have actually fought dogs before, so many I can give some insight.

If the dogs are less than 100 pounds it really is little of a challenge. Actually a good kick to the jaw and the dog will back off.

Even some dogs over 100 pounds will give up because contrary to popular belief many dogs are weak when it comes to pain, well many dogs.

Then there are dogs like mastiffs or American Bulldogs. If those dogs attack you be prepared to fight for your life. If you have to kill the dog then that has to be your choice. Choking is the best method for any type of animal belonging to the order Carnivora (dogs, cats, bears, ect.). People have actually overpowered leopards by strangling. There was one case where a 75 year old man strangled a leopard to death (which is stronger and more dangerous than cougars). So grabbing the windpipe of the dog is your best bet though it may lead to death of the dog. Then again when your life is at stake it doesn't really matter.

One fight I was with was a German Shepard. It was quite easy. I grabbed his muzzle and roundhouse kicked it and the dog went scurrying away. If you know what to do, no dog can be that much of a challenge unless it is a Mastiff or Bulldog.

Ok I lied, mastiffs and American Bulldogs are not the toughest dogs you can encounter. Bandogs and Tosas are even tougher. These dogs weigh around 150 pounds and will fight no matter what pain it feels. These a true gamebred dogs, like a giant pit bull.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I also know that Chows, Shar-pei's, Rotties, Malmutes, Huskies, and other species of dogs were bred and used in the infamous pit fighting centuries ago. Some were bred specifically for that like Chows and Shar-pei's for thick fur and loose skin (respectively), Rotties, Mastiffs (even Shar-pei's) and others for their powerful jaws and so forth.
Later these animals were bred for a more milder type of domesticity but inheirent in each of them are the fighting abilities specific to their breed. That sort of thing don't get bred out of their gene pool in a few generations.
I recall in Dallas when I lived in a two story apt. complex... from my window we could see into the yard of a latino family... their back yard was home to a large Chow... the young guys would go out with their beers and chuck the empty cans at the dog and use their beat-up jackets to (literally) whip the dog into a frenzy. It was later I learned that it was never the owners of the dog but their friends from across town (read: strangers), their idea was to have the dog attack any stranger that comes to their house. Imprinting on the dog's psyche that the owners were the kind, loving masters and everyone else was out to hurt him.
Cruel, heartless and mean I know, but ... but, it was an effective means of training. The dog attacked an intruder armed with a knife. The dog did a lot of damage and had to be put down by order of the court, but the family was safe because of the viciousness of the animal protecting it's pack members.
Problem with that type of training of course is what if the intruder was a police officer in pursuit/search for a suspect? Or worse a child that happened to wander into the yard? There are better ways to do it obviously.
But this was a pure-bred chow, gorgeous animal btw, and it knew exactly how to fight, even a human being.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kane said:
I have actually fought dogs before, so many I can give some insight.

If the dogs are less than 100 pounds it really is little of a challenge. Actually a good kick to the jaw and the dog will back off.

Even some dogs over 100 pounds will give up because contrary to popular belief many dogs are weak when it comes to pain, well many dogs.

Then there are dogs like mastiffs or American Bulldogs. If those dogs attack you be prepared to fight for your life. If you have to kill the dog then that has to be your choice. Choking is the best method for any type of animal belonging to the order Carnivora (dogs, cats, bears, ect.). People have actually overpowered leopards by strangling. There was one case where a 75 year old man strangled a leopard to death (which is stronger and more dangerous than cougars). So grabbing the windpipe of the dog is your best bet though it may lead to death of the dog. Then again when your life is at stake it doesn't really matter.

One fight I was with was a German Shepard. It was quite easy. I grabbed his muzzle and roundhouse kicked it and the dog went scurrying away. If you know what to do, no dog can be that much of a challenge unless it is a Mastiff or Bulldog.

Ok I lied, mastiffs and American Bulldogs are not the toughest dogs you can encounter. Bandogs and Tosas are even tougher. These dogs weigh around 150 pounds and will fight no matter what pain it feels. These a true gamebred dogs, like a giant pit bull.
Aside from visiting the local pound, what dogs have you fought. The 100 pound quote is mostly made out of a bit of ignorance. I can guarantee that you've never fought a selection tested, solid temperment, well trained Belgian Malinois that weighs 75 pounds. You are not genetically designed to out fast these dogs, and he will eat your lunch. The common misconception is that 100 plus pound dogs are the most dangerous to people. Sure, a 140 pound Rottweiller or American Bulldog is intimidating, and very strong. The problem is, that a 150 pound dog is like a 600 pound linebacker, very impressive, but without a wide range of uses, except as a perimeter security dog. These dogs can kill you, but believing because a dog is under 100 pounds you can easily take it is pure igorance. A 75 pound malinois will run 150 yards at 35mph to attack a human being, and slam his entire weight into your body at that same 35mph, generating the kind of explosive power a martial artist could only dream of. At the same time, accurately targeting to bite right under your arm pit. These types of animals are true athletes generating explosive power. Again, the dogs you've apparently been "Fighting" are nothing more than the kind of weak nerved products of bad breeding commonly found in the humane society. Unless there is some kind of Dog-UFC i'm not aware of, most people won't come in contact with much more than someone's wayward pet. If they get attacked by a trained dog, they are in for the real fight of their life and better have a weapon, because these types of dogs won't be cowed by a "roundhouse" kick. Truly rank dogs will have to be killed or rendered completely unconcious or incapacitated, and as soon as they regain conciousness they will attack again. Trained dogs are genetically predispositioned to be pain resistant, and are futher trained to deal with extreme aggression. It'll take more than a roundhouse kick "to send them scurrying". Again, not exactly the topic discussed, but I needed to alleviate a bit of misinformation.

G

greyghost

sgtmac_46 said:
...the dogs you've apparently been "Fighting" are nothing more than the kind of weak nerved products of bad breeding commonly found in the humane society. Unless there is some kind of Dog-UFC i'm not aware of, most people won't come in contact with much more than someone's wayward pet. If they get attacked by a trained dog, they are in for the real fight of their life and better have a weapon, because these types of dogs won't be cowed by a "roundhouse" kick. Truly rank dogs will have to be killed or rendered completely unconcious or incapacitated, and as soon as they regain conciousness they will attack again. Trained dogs are genetically predispositioned to be pain resistant, and are futher trained to deal with extreme aggression. It'll take more than a roundhouse kick "to send them scurrying". Again, not exactly the topic discussed, but I needed to alleviate a bit of misinformation.
I can add to that. Most of the BIG dogs I have known (100/150 pound area) are a little slow. They can't run that fast, too much mass. Typically they're just giant teddy bears.

Many dogs are pansies when it comes to pain. There are breeds that don't give a flying rat's a** how hard you beat it though. The commonly known dog like this is the pit bull - I have watched mine and watched others in play with other dogs. They are FAST, and powerful - flat-out amazing, it's like a dance to them, an art form. The other dog doesn't know what hit it - it got it's a** whooped before the game even began. Pit's have a high pain tolerance, and their abilities don't need exaggerating (the locking jaw BS).

Would I want to face a well-trained, brutally taught pit bull? NO. A Doberman? NO. Rott? NO. So the question still remains - what can you do against a dog hell-bent on eating you for dinner, no matter what the cost to itself?

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Aside from visiting the local pound, what dogs have you fought. The 100 pound quote is mostly made out of a bit of ignorance. I can guarantee that you've never fought a selection tested, solid temperment, well trained Belgian Malinois that weighs 75 pounds. You are not genetically designed to out fast these dogs, and he will eat your lunch. The common misconception is that 100 plus pound dogs are the most dangerous to people. Sure, a 140 pound Rottweiller or American Bulldog is intimidating, and very strong. The problem is, that a 150 pound dog is like a 600 pound linebacker, very impressive, but without a wide range of uses, except as a perimeter security dog. These dogs can kill you, but believing because a dog is under 100 pounds you can easily take it is pure igorance. A 75 pound malinois will run 150 yards at 35mph to attack a human being, and slam his entire weight into your body at that same 35mph, generating the kind of explosive power a martial artist could only dream of. At the same time, accurately targeting to bite right under your arm pit. These types of animals are true athletes generating explosive power. Again, the dogs you've apparently been "Fighting" are nothing more than the kind of weak nerved products of bad breeding commonly found in the humane society. Unless there is some kind of Dog-UFC i'm not aware of, most people won't come in contact with much more than someone's wayward pet. If they get attacked by a trained dog, they are in for the real fight of their life and better have a weapon, because these types of dogs won't be cowed by a "roundhouse" kick. Truly rank dogs will have to be killed or rendered completely unconcious or incapacitated, and as soon as they regain conciousness they will attack again. Trained dogs are genetically predispositioned to be pain resistant, and are futher trained to deal with extreme aggression. It'll take more than a roundhouse kick "to send them scurrying". Again, not exactly the topic discussed, but I needed to alleviate a bit of misinformation.

Okay, some of the dogs you mention are tough but you are now overrating those dogs. No dog can have the force of a 600 pound linebacker that is an absurd illogical statement. They even calculated a Bengal tiger running at 35 miles and hour has the same strength as 3 linebackers at top speed so what you are saying is a little dog can hit with more force than a 500 pound tiger. I actually know quite a bit of knowledge about fighting dogs. There is another forum I participate in and I have confirmed many of the things I said.

First of all, if you think about any dog can scare a human into running. The question is if the human was brave enough to fight back, will the dog be able to beat the man? Most dogs under 100 pounds cannot do this, even the pit bull. Yes pit bulls are the ultimate fighting dogs but they have really been bred to fight other dogs, not humans. In fact, pit bulls are poor man fights so if a man with guts decided to attack the dog then the dog will be in a lot of trouble.

Even dogs like the giant Great Dane are very poor fighters because of their pain threshold.

There are however certain dogs that are bred to take down any man regardless of how courageous they are. These dogs are bandogs or tosas. Bulldogs are not slow and weak. Bulldogs re one of the best fighter out there and can destroy any dog you can think of except for maybe a bandog or tosa.

Oh and yes the German Shepard I fought was in a park and I think it was a stray. Most dogs are not as savage as many people think, in fact you can beat dog if your mind is mentally prepared to handle the stress of a dog. It is all in the mind.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kane said:
Okay, some of the dogs you mention are tough but you are now overrating those dogs. No dog can have the force of a 600 pound linebacker that is an absurd illogical statement. They even calculated a Bengal tiger running at 35 miles and hour has the same strength as 3 linebackers at top speed so what you are saying is a little dog can hit with more force than a 500 pound tiger. I actually know quite a bit of knowledge about fighting dogs. There is another forum I participate in and I have confirmed many of the things I said.

First of all, if you think about any dog can scare a human into running. The question is if the human was brave enough to fight back, will the dog be able to beat the man? Most dogs under 100 pounds cannot do this, even the pit bull. Yes pit bulls are the ultimate fighting dogs but they have really been bred to fight other dogs, not humans. In fact, pit bulls are poor man fights so if a man with guts decided to attack the dog then the dog will be in a lot of trouble.

Even dogs like the giant Great Dane are very poor fighters because of their pain threshold.

There are however certain dogs that are bred to take down any man regardless of how courageous they are. These dogs are bandogs or tosas. Bulldogs are not slow and weak. Bulldogs re one of the best fighter out there and can destroy any dog you can think of except for maybe a bandog or tosa.

Oh and yes the German Shepard I fought was in a park and I think it was a stray. Most dogs are not as savage as many people think, in fact you can beat dog if your mind is mentally prepared to handle the stress of a dog. It is all in the mind.
You misunderstand my analogy. I did not say a 75 pound dog HITS like a 600 pound linebacker, I said a 150 pound dog is like a 600 pound linebacker....pretty useless, but impressive looking (anyone remember the Fridge Perry?) I think you're a bit over impressed by large dogs, a common misconception held by working dog novices. A 75 pound dog such as a malinois is much more agile than a 150 pound dog. It isn't the overall size of the dog that makes it deadly. Think of the body of the dog as a delivery system for it's main weapon, it's jaws. A malinois is plenty powerful enough and agile enough to get past most of your defenses. You are not quicker than these dogs, and by the time they have bitten into your pectoral muscles, or your back (which is what I train mine to do, hit you from behind and bite you by the shoulder or back muscles or under the arm pit) it's over. They can tear muscle from the bone. Your statement about "Most dogs aren't as savage as many people think" i've already pointed out. 99% of the dogs out there are like you've experienced, weaked-tempered dogs who wouldn't bite any adult who stood their ground. I work with truely rank dogs who's breeding and temperment is solid, they don't run from humans, they don't back down and the only way to stop them is to kill them when they go in to fight drive. Again, your over-emphasis on the size of the dog is much like the over-emphasis on size in humans. A 150 pound dog is like a 600 pound human, with all the restrictions they have. An 80 pound dog is like a 210 pound human fighter. That's why most American's breed 120 plus pound german shepherds, which aren't as powerful and agile as an 80 pound german shepherd, nor do they have that all important factor known as stamina. That's why there are breed standards, those standards are the physical range where the design and build of a working dog are at their maximum. Telling me that a 75 pound dog can't hurt you as badly as a 150 pound dog, is like saying a 200 pound male fighter can't hurt you as badly as a 600 pound male fighter. It's purely a novice misconception. Finally, temperment is much more important than physical size. A dog with a solid temperment and fight drive is a very dangerous dog indeed. A huge dog with a weak temperment is impressive looking. It's obvious by your over-emphasis on dog sizes that you don't understand temperment when evaluating it's abilities. That's a common problem. If someone wants to learn to defend themselves against dogs, they should start by understanding different dog temperments and what different dog behavior means, not by believing that a 150 pound dog is dangerous and an 80 pound one isn't. Again, most American dog owners and breeders place way too much emphasis on size, which is why Americans mostly breed big, junky dogs. That's also why police departments and the military have to import dogs from Europe, because the Europeans understand the truth...Temperment is the primary concern, followed by physical aspects of the dog. What most people mistake for an aggressive, tough dog is a dog who is just really afraid and has learned to intimidate people by snarling and growling. These dogs are not tough, they are weak-tempered dogs who spend most of their live afraid. A truly rank dog is not intimidated by a human being. I happen to know of a truly rank male German Shepherd working police dog who was doing a building search and ran in to a burglary suspect. The suspect hit the dog in the head with a pipe as hard as he could. The dog immediately attacked the guy and seperated his calf muscle from the leg. That's a fight ending injury, and anyone who thinks they could take this dog in hand to hand combat is deluding themselves. This dog was 85 pounds.

Latest Discussions