Practical, effective self defense for everyone. Recommended reading.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree! Animal knows his stuff and the site does provide alot of very interesting things. I've read a few of his books as well and they were very insightfull.

Mike

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, For many years I have heard of Marc "the animal" thru books,magazines,and other people talking about him. Just order a couple of his books and one video. Should be here in a couple of weeks. Lots of people talk about the two worlds..the Martial art world and the real world. Too many planets? and only one moon. Will the martial art world meet the real one? .. Aloha

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oddly enough, my buddy was just telling me about the site on thursday. It had slipped from my mind, thanks for the reminder.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was reading some of his stuff on and off while at work. While I find myself agreeing with most of what he says, I get two different messages from him.

He implys that martial art training is different from self-defense training. He writes that self-defense training involves people skills, knowing the law, and other non-physical things. So if a martial art were to include all these things (I believe most "traditional" arts teach very good people skills), would it then also become self-defense training?

In some of his other articles, I am a little fuzzy on this, he was replying to questions like, "Which martial art is best for seld-defense?". He goes on to say that it depends on the instructor. While I agree with that, it seems to me he is almost disagreeing with himself when he says that martial art training teaches something other than self-defense. Perhaps he meant the physical part in self-defense, but I don't see how a martial art can not adequtely train someone in that aspect.

I am totally misunderstanding what he says? Am I making sense?

Latest Discussions