Dealing with Power hitters

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Rick,
You gonna be able to get a spear on a plane? Start pricing into Dulles.
Jason,
Keep on him.

You'll both be guests here, so there will not be a hotel bill. But the 5 of us do have to share 1 bathroom.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig
Rick,
You gonna be able to get a spear on a plane?

:rofl: For some reason they just may not let it happen.

Start pricing into Dulles.

$179 here.

Jason,
Keep on him.

You bet.;)

You'll both be guests here, so there will not be a hotel bill.

And again I will say that is very noble of you as I appreciate it very much. Sir.:asian: :asian:

But the 5 of us do have to share 1 bathroom.

Poor Tess.:eek:

K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by KenpoTess
you know the kind.. newbies who come in and spar like they are fighting for their very lives.. white belts, flailing ,, spinning backfists,, kicking and punching with all their strength.. You as their partner/ instructor put up with only so much.. til you return.. Power to Power..
Oh I know we've all been there.. just spouting off :)
*looking at a livid purple bruise on my tricep.. and knowing StickDummy has a nasty one on his elbow from this newbie.. sheesh~!!
Why not introduce sparring after the first grading? That way, they won't be newbies any more, but have three months' experience.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kimpatsu
Why not introduce sparring after the first grading? That way, they won't be newbies any more, but have three months' experience.
Because I am vehemently opposed to that mentality. The first reason behind that is because I don't want people to build up a fear of sparring. I also do not "grade" on a regular or scheduled basis. I feel sparring is essential to training at all levels. It is a significant marker of progress. The people that insist on fighting like it is a death match eventually go through the gauntlet, and then are told why they just had the snot beat out of them. Don't misunderstand, the gauntlet is a last effort scenario, after they have been told repeatedly.

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

We also teach the college karate course... They get a taste of the basics and a few sparring sessions in the short semester time period.

And if we wait til they are not newbies after a few months training.. they will still be newbies when it comes to sparring.. just because they have a belt rank doesn't give them the control they need to spar an opponent. .. even isometric... it would be difficult for them to grasp the concept by hitting a bag and not being hit back..

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
because grading/testing should be done at the student's pace instead of at a regular time interval. They may be ready earlier or later than a set "three months" or whatever. That way, you don't push slower students into higher ranks or tests before they are ready, but you don't slow down quicker learners either.

K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by nightingale8472
because grading/testing should be done at the student's pace instead of at a regular time interval. They may be ready earlier or later than a set "three months" or whatever. That way, you don't push slower students into higher ranks or tests before they are ready, but you don't slow down quicker learners either.
Just because a grading is scheduled every three months, doesn't mean someone has to take it. So you're not pushing anybody. Your argument makes no sense.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just because a grading is scheduled every three months, doesn't mean someone has to take it. So you're not pushing anybody. Your argument makes no sense.

I kind of like the idea of the head instructor telling you when he feels you are ready to test. :asian:

K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
I kind of like the idea of the head instructor telling you when he feels you are ready to test. :asian:
Absolutely. And with regularly scheduled gradings, you then have something to aim for.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
so... if you have a grading every three months, what happens to the student who is ready in FOUR?

do you say "sorry. you have to wait two more months, because my next grading isn't for two months?" or do you test the student when they're ready?

And, as for having something to strive for, you've always got another belt to strive for. How bad the student wants it is up to them. If they really want it, they can advance quicker if they practice more and are always in class. ya see?

K

Kimpatsu

so... if you have a grading every three months, what happens to the student who is ready in FOUR?
They miss the grading three months' hence and take it in six months' time.
do you say "sorry. you have to wait two more months, because my next grading isn't for two months?" or do you test the student when they're ready?
Students don't get ready and then lose it again; enlightenment is incremental. They wait the extra two months. what's wrong with that?
And, as for having something to strive for, you've always got another belt to strive for. How bad the student wants it is up to them. If they really want it, they can advance quicker if they practice more and are always in class. ya see?
I don't see where your argument is coming from. People train regularly to train, not to advance through the belts. (Although it's always great to start new techniques from the next syllabus.)
There are minimum times between gradings, which grow longer apart the higher up the ladder you go, but just because a grading has come round doesn't mean you're obligated to take it. Sensei tells you when you're ready, anyway.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AS far as I am concerned, regularly scheduled testing smacks of McDojo. I tried it, I did not like the results. A lot of the time what happens is that people work very hard to memorize certain things for testing and then promptly forget them, similiar mentality to the educational system. I do not like it. I tell my people, if you want to be promoted, you have to make me promote you. You don't test because I want a new TV. Regularly scheduled testing does not give a realisitic goal to strive for. Giving someone a syllabus and telling them that when they can do the entire course correctly, then and only then will you consider testing them is quite motivating as well. I do not assign time limits to my belts, I assign knowledge minimums. I am not Japanese nor am I Buddhist, I do not teach enlightenment, I teach American Kenpo. American Kenpo has a vast and diverse curriculuum, one doesn't memorize it and be successful, one learns it, adapts it, and is then proficient. As one's skills grow in the curriculuum, so does their rank. Making them wait til they have learned an entire belt's material does not make them better sparrers or really teach them what control is about. Everything we do is a part of a process, it does not happen over night. Part of the process is getting them into the thick of things immediately, it helps them gauge their own progress. It also allows me to see where they actually started and what I can do to help them. Some never really learn, some do. The one's that do are easy, the one's that don't sometimes have to learn that all actions have consequences. Also, a great deal of people do not train to train, if they did, we would not needa belt system. A lot of people train to get the belts.
Making them wait to spar is not the answer in my school. Teaching them to not intentionally or even accidentally hurt their training partners is.

K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by Seig
AS far as I am concerned, regularly scheduled testing smacks of McDojo. I tried it, I did not like the results. A lot of the time what happens is that people work very hard to memorize certain things for testing and then promptly forget them, similiar mentality to the educational system. I do not like it. I tell my people, if you want to be promoted, you have to make me promote you. You don't test because I want a new TV. Regularly scheduled testing does not give a realisitic goal to strive for. Giving someone a syllabus and telling them that when they can do the entire course correctly, then and only then will you consider testing them is quite motivating as well. I do not assign time limits to my belts, I assign knowledge minimums. I am not Japanese nor am I Buddhist, I do not teach enlightenment, I teach American Kenpo. American Kenpo has a vast and diverse curriculuum, one doesn't memorize it and be successful, one learns it, adapts it, and is then proficient. As one's skills grow in the curriculuum, so does their rank. Making them wait til they have learned an entire belt's material does not make them better sparrers or really teach them what control is about. Everything we do is a part of a process, it does not happen over night. Part of the process is getting them into the thick of things immediately, it helps them gauge their own progress. It also allows me to see where they actually started and what I can do to help them. Some never really learn, some do. The one's that do are easy, the one's that don't sometimes have to learn that all actions have consequences. Also, a great deal of people do not train to train, if they did, we would not needa belt system. A lot of people train to get the belts.
Making them wait to spar is not the answer in my school. Teaching them to not intentionally or even accidentally hurt their training partners is.
What does your new TV have to do with grading? Surely holding a grading when you feel like it is more akin to financial motivations than gradings at set intervals. And do you really consider Shorinji Kempo to be a McDojo? The syllabus isn't just about technique; sensei looks at your attitude, your control, your contributions, and a whole lot of other things before saying that you're ready to grade. People can't gauge their own process as well as Sensei can; he has perspective and ability based on experience. The belt system is necessary because its when you move up a grade that the new syllabus is introduced.
If people wait three months to first engage in randori, then they have three months' worth of techniques they can apply when sparring, as opposed to none from day one.

Latest Discussions