Datu?

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, fellas...

I have a number of Tagalog, Illongo and Cebuano to English dictionaries and language references; as well as a more-than-half-way workable understanding of both Tagalog and Illongo... gotta know what the in-laws are saying... hehehe.

What you've all heard vs actual fact are often two different things. It wouldn't hurt to do your own research once in a while, guys. You might be surprised as to what you might find.

Tim Kashino

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by DoxN4cer
Well, fellas...

I have a number of Tagalog, Illongo and Cebuano to English dictionaries and language references; as well as a more-than-half-way workable understanding of both Tagalog and Illongo... gotta know what the in-laws are saying... hehehe.

What you've all heard vs actual fact are often two different things. It wouldn't hurt to do your own research once in a while, guys. You might be surprised as to what you might find.

Tim Kashino

Hence,

My Request as to the sources or books to do the research. I was asking you for some guidance and direction. Out of the books you have which one would you recommend the most?

Thanks

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll get back tp you via e-mail, Rich.

Tim Kashino

Thank You
:asian:

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey,

In my PHG (Philippine History and Gov't) Class when I was in High School we learned that before the Spanish came, the tribal structure of the Philippines was set up like this:

Tribe >> Clans >> Baranggays >> Families

A tribe would be composed of 2-10 clans. A clan would be composed of any number of Baranggays. And a baranggay would have any number of families.

Depending on the Tribe (Ilocano, Tagalog, Zambali, Waray, etc.) they would have some sort of council made up of the heads of the Clans. The Clans were broken down into Baranggays and the head of a Baranggay was a Datu. Now we call them Barrangay Captains or Chiefs.

The Spanish imposed their Government on top of this and in some areas the baranggay fell into disuse or was melded into the Spanish Alcalde system. But in many areas it continued on underneath the Spanish system. The Governor would be in charge of the Alcalde Mayors who used the Baranggay's existing structure to delegate work and government tasks by telling the Datus what to do or by making the Datus check with the Alcaldes before they did anything major.

This is also similar to the way that the other big European powers of the time controlled their colonies (Britain and India, France and Vietnam, etc).

Historically the big leaders had to be Datus in order to lead clans and tribes, but essentially a Datu was a chieftain of either low or high rank that was directly responsible for and to several families.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by bart
Hey,

In my PHG (Philippine History and Gov't) Class when I was in High School we learned that before the Spanish came, the tribal structure of the Philippines was set up like this:

Tribe >> Clans >> Baranggays >> Families

A tribe would be composed of 2-10 clans. A clan would be composed of any number of Baranggays. And a baranggay would have any number of families.

. . .

Great post Bart!

I would like to follow up with some more questions.

A family here in North America is the smallest form of families in existence. In other parts of the word a family includes cousins and grand parents and uncles and aunts, and all the rest.

So, How big was a family?

Baranggay's ? Are they the larger familes related by second or third cousin, or some other relation?

Thank You for your time and effort to answer my questions.

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A baranggay is essentally a neighborhood or subdivision, or even a "quarter" of a town or city.

The baranggay system is a carry-over from the Malay influence on the PI.

Tim Kashino

OP
M

Mickey

A baranggay is essentally a neighborhood or subdivision, or even a "quarter" of a town or city.

The baranggay system is a carry-over from the Malay influence on the PI.

Tim Kashino

So there is no relationship between them? Other than location?

You seem to have some information Mr. Kashino, yet you always leave me and I guess others wanting more. Do you really know it, or are just just using a little bit of information to act like you know what is going on?

So, you might say a baranggay, would have an alderman or council man or sub mayor to represent them? or is it more of a council for the subdivision?

How do the Malay's come into play? I know they had influences on part of the PI, yet not the whole chain. Or did they? Is the term regional? Northern, Central, or Southern?

Very Curious
Mick

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, How big was a family?
--Rich Parsons

It was the basic family unit (mother, father, kids, grandparents, etc). But most of the families within a baranggay would be related in some way.

Modern Filipino Baranggays are distinct political units outlined in the Constitution of 1987. Those are kind of what Tim is talking about. The baranggay has a captain similar to an alderman.

Modern Filipino government is arranged like this:

Country >> Province >> Municipality >> Baranggay
example: Zambales >> Botolan >> Baranggay Batonlapoc

or

Country >> Chartered City >> Baranggay
example: Mandaluyong City >> Baranggay Malamig

Before 1973 all Baranggays were called "Barrios". During the Marcos Era, the Barrio was changed to Baranggay when Tagalog had many other words and structures added to it and became officially called "Pilipino". That period was a time of movement toward revitalized cultural awareness and elimination of the symbols of a colonial past.

It's really important to remember that the current Baranggay is different than the Baranggay of the past, although it did emerge from it. People might say "Baranggay Chief" but they in no way mean chieftain or Datu just like when they say "Baranggay Captain" they don't mean that he commands a boat or is a naval officer of any sort. Datu invokes a feeling that calls out of a distant past.

This government structure I've laid out is just the large parts. Here in the US it goes roughly Country >> State >> County >> City >> District. There are many other smaller layers that make up any of the big layers. Civics is complicated wherever you go, but the Philippines doesn't allow as much local control of governmental infrastructure as the US does, so the differences in the non-autonomous regions are very little when it comes to governmental structure at the local level comparatively.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bart-
great info; could you give us a bit more on the pre-colonial arrangements and other titles mentioned above?

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by dearnis.com
Bart-
great info; could you give us a bit more on the pre-colonial arrangements and other titles mentioned above?

Bart

What he said!

and as the Japanese say

Doumo Arigato Gouzaimashita (* It is the most respectful way to say thank you that I know :) *)

Thank You

OP
L

Liam_G

Also, I briefly dated a Filipina woman back in college, and she talked a bit about her extended family ... I think the word she used was something like "barkada." She said it was very important in the culture, went beyond blood boundaries, etc. Any thoughts or insights on this??

Thanks!

Liam

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey There,

Barkada is your group of best friends. It is VERY important and has little to do with blood or ethnicity. It's like your neighborhood pals but a bit stronger.

Latest Discussions