Datu?

K

kenpo12

I've seen people use the title "Datu". What does that mean?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Datu" basically translates to "chieftian". The word goes back to Filipino Legend.

In a martial arts context it could mean different things. In Modern Arnis, the title "Datu" was given to 6 people by GM Remy Presas. The title indicated that these people are leaders in Modern Arnis.

PAUL

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
jeez Bob. You open that up, Paul will get out of control, you'll have to ban him.... Bad scene.

The short version (for kenpo 12) is that Datu is a historical term/title which Professor awarded to a select few in honor of their achievements within Modern Arnis.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know.... I thought there was some good explainations in there on the term, its history, and how it relates to MA in relationship to the other titles, etc.

Paul, behave. Its too cold for me to mooch a ride to Mich to hit ya repeatedly in the stick with my head until I've had enough. :D

OP
K

kenpo12

Ok thanks! My inlaws are Filipino and I speak limited Tagalog and understand quite a bit and I've never heard the word or title used before. I've heard the word "guro" mostly for teacher/instructor.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Chieftan is, I believe, close to the meaning. It does not refer so much to teaching as to leadership.

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A datu in the traditional/cultural view is a spiritual leader, sort of like the medicine man or shamen of the Native Americans. It is a respected role in Filipino Muslim society. Perhaps thekuntawman (Mustafa Gatdula) could join this thread and give us some more information, as he is from that background.

It is my understanding that the term "Lakan" means chieftain.

Tim Kashino

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by DoxN4cer
A datu in the traditional/cultural view is a spiritual leader, sort of like the medicine man or shamen of the Native Americans. It is a respected role in Filipino Muslim society. Perhaps thekuntawman (Mustafa Gatdula) could join this thread and give us some more information, as he is from that background.

It is my understanding that the term "Lakan" means chieftain.

Tim Kashino

Tim K,

Lakan means Chieftain? Not trying to be picky here, yet where did you here this. I am looking to do some research if you will be so kind as to head me in the right direction.

I have personally seen and heard Lakan to be used Warrior

Lakan Isa would be a First level male warrior.

Lakan Guro Isa would be a first level male warrior instructor.

And I cannot confirm myself the meanings. So, my confusion and my asking for your direction.
:asian:

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Have to agree with Rich. Also, remember that while the term datu is still more prevelant in the muslim south RP was not muslim...
The reference is, I belive, to the 12 Datus (chieftans/princes) who came to the islands from Borneo.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by PAUL
Actually:

Lakan: "mister" or male.

Dayang: Mrs. or "female"

I think so, anyways. I have no idea what word means "warrior".

Paul J,

What I meant to communicate was that I have seen others, inside Modern Arnis and outside Modern Arnis, use the term as Warrior. I did not mean to say it was correct or the only term. Hence my question to Tim K, to learn more.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rich Parsons
Paul J,

What I meant to communicate was that I have seen others, inside Modern Arnis and outside Modern Arnis, use the term as Warrior. I did not mean to say it was correct or the only term. Hence my question to Tim K, to learn more.

I see.

I myself would like to find a good resource for translating Taglog and Cebueno words into english. I have a spanish to english dictionary...I wonder if I could find a Filipino dialect to english one?

Wouldn't that come in handy! :cool:

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It connotes more than simply man, but I don't remember exactly (and most of my notes and books are put away due to my current living arrangments...)

Latest Discussions