darn stereotypes!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I usually get the questions, "what is kuk sool won like, is it like (insert MA here)?". And I agree with everyone on this post that say a martial art really can't be compared to another.

My favorite thing is when we go outside and practice and people drive by and kiai or call names out the window. Funny, they never seem to stop.

:asian:

OP
F

fist of fury

Or how about no matter what type of martial art you study someone is bound to say"Oh you study karrody":mad:

OP
T

tonbo

Seems like no matter what style you study, the minute you mention that you are in the MA, *someone* will invariably ask.....

"Are you a Black Belt?"

Eeeeesh. Time to answer like Mr. Miyagi, and mention that I do, indeed, have a black belt. I also have a brown belt. Both cost me a couple of bucks down at the men's department at the local store. They are great for holding my pants up; which one I wear depends on what color shoes I have on..;)

Am I a Black Belt? Depends.....you mean do I *wear a black belt with my uniform*? Do you mean do I *have the Black Belt spirit or attitude*? Do you mean do I *have a Black Belt*? (You can buy one in a catalog, ya know...hehe).

Before I actually earned my Black, I would joke with people at our school by going over to the "for sale" belt rack, picking up a Black Belt, and saying, "Why, yes....I hold a Black Belt in Kenpo". Yeah, not highbrow humor, but hey.....

Yeah, like Black is the *only* color that matters, and like the belt rank is the be-all end-all.

Now, I just tell people that I am an "advanced white belt". *That* drives 'em nuts.

:D

Peace--

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know that this will probably deserve its own thread, but I think that belts and ranks should be done away with.

Skill should no longer be determined by what color your belt is but by how well you fight. I think in each dojo they should have an internal tournaments to decide the skills of each individual student.

Also I think that the teacher should decide who he moves up and that would probably mean alot more hearing your sifu say I'm not going to teach you blah blah instead of you earned your black belt wooo....

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Carbon

I know that this will probably deserve its own thread, but I think that belts and ranks should be done away with.

Skill should no longer be determined by what color your belt is but by how well you fight. I think in each dojo they should have an internal tournaments to decide the skills of each individual student.

Also I think that the teacher should decide who he moves up and that would probably mean alot more hearing your sifu say I'm not going to teach you blah blah instead of you earned your black belt wooo....

Like it or not, size makes a big difference. What if you have a
dojo full of guys that are 5' 5" and a 6'9" guy signs up? He'd
be a black belt that day, going by your philosophy.

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not saying that the tournaments would be held daily. Also in reality though don't you think the fighter should adapt to the much taller person and overcome him or atleast make efforts to do so.

If the sifu saw that you were making advances to improve yourself he could see it fit that you would move up. Also a 6'9 man would have a rather hard time being agile enough to catch a 5'5 person.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Carbon

I'm not saying that the tournaments would be held daily. Also in reality though don't you think the fighter should adapt to the much taller person and overcome him or atleast make efforts to do so.

If the sifu saw that you were making advances to improve yourself he could see it fit that you would move up. Also a 6'9 man would have a rather hard time being agile enough to catch a 5'5 person.

Just food for thought. Belts have their place in my opinion.
Catching or not catching? What if the 6'9" guy didn't chase?
Some schools do exactly what you're saying, but I'm just saying
that it's no better/worse than a belt system.

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

one time, i talked with this Tkd practisioner. i thought "oh, i fellow MAist". but i think he went to a mcdojo or was just plain stupid. i told him i do Muay Thai, he said, "so you people practice that kind of karate?". that was one of the stupidest things i heard!!!!

not only was it stupid but was an insult the way he said it:mad:

OP
J

J-kid

Since i started martial arts in school they ask whats your favorite passtime i say martial arts. 2 mins later everyones calling me bruce lee, Here is also a good one i tell them when they ask that i am in Judo/Jujutsu Mauy tia kickboxing and JKD, They first go whats JKD , i Answer , then they start talking about the JUDO-CHOP when there is really no such thing, LOL they go do the judo chop so i hit them really lighty on a nerve near the side of the neck and they think its awsome even though i made that up. And after words i tell them there is no such thing as a JUDO-CHOP they go I have seen it in movies blah blah blah, Then when i see them again there like JUDO-CHOP and make a WAAAA sound really kind of :soapbox:

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

ive read some post. and from the looks of it, those who dont know only assume and based their info on movies and tv. well they can be very intimidated by ANYTHING you do. i once made up a move, like judo-kid, where i jumped around like an ape and called it the "gorilla tactic". you can also make a fool of them by telling them to fight like "this" or "that" and itll look completely stupid:rofl:

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How can you think that you are bettering yourself as a fighter when you are in so many different styles at once.

I think this prohibits your ability to learn any one style effectively.

Also why are you hitting them? I don't see why you would want to try and hurt them just to try and prove a point.

I've ready many of your posts and I think that your goal to be a UFC fighter or to study MA isn't in good intentions and that you just want to beable to kick anyone's @$$ you see.

And that you don't really appreciate MA its just a way for you to get to the ultimate goal of being able to become a bully yourself.

OP
J

J-kid

Carbon How can you think that you are bettering yourself as a fighter when you are in so many different styles at once.

Judo/Jujutsu are about 20% diffrent from each other making it easy to learn both at the same time. JKD/Mauy Tia Kickboxing go well with each other and have many of the same basic ideas.

Also why are you hitting them? I don't see why you would want to try and hurt them just to try and prove a point

I dont hurt them at all what gave you the idea i did the fact that i made of a joke of a move and really lightly show them it. They think its really cool and i get to tell them that its not really a move.
In no way am i hurting them.

I've ready many of your posts and I think that your goal to be a UFC fighter or to study MA isn't in good intentions and that you just want to beable to kick anyone's @$$ you see.

I wouldnt mind being able to defend myself vs anykind of attack on me. But self defense is one of my goals in martial art. I wouldnt put it that i look at people and think i can kick your @SS as you so well put it.

And that you don't really appreciate MA its just a way for you to get to the ultimate goal of being able to become a bully yourself

I do sppreciate MA and no my goal is not to become a bully , I do take this comment offensively thats for the insalt carbon. I think this statement will have to be one of the dumber ones i have gotten , In no way at all am i bully i suggest you get things right befor opening your mouth in a public form. I can asume alot about you from your post but because i dont know i wont say, BECAUSE I DONT KNOW YOU, wow what a idea.

OP
K

Kirk

I think if the 2 of you actually KNEW each other, you'd be good
friends.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Judo-kid

Judo/Jujutsu are about 20% diffrent from each other making it easy to learn both at the same time. JKD/Mauy Tia Kickboxing go well with each other and have many of the same basic ideas.

Not quite sure which styles of Judo/Jujitsu you've been doing, but that's not quite right, unless you found a traditional Judo school (unlikely seeing as how you said there was no such thing as a "Judo Chop", which there used to be under the atemi-waza section of the syllabus....).

Judo is about 20% of Jujtsu would have been more appropriate, Since judo is comprised of throws, holds, strangles and armlocks, while Jujitsu keeps these and also teaches striking, minor locks, neck locks, wrist lock throws, weapons training, weapons defence, dealing with multiple opponents, etc.....

Sorry, but I really do have a grudge against modern Judo, and hope they bring back the Goshin-Jutsu part of the syllabus....

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What I mean by a bully is that you learned MA and now you are wanting to exact revenge on someone who hurt your feelings.

I mean big deal, be a man and leave it alone, dwelling on things only make things worse.

If the only thing you can think about is wanting to beat someone up then you have some serious self-analyzing to do to find out why you are so angry at people.

Sure, he embarassed you... so what? Lots of people are embarassed, but to think that you are going to solve anything with a fight is quite ignorant.

Also you say I don't know you, but really your personality reflects on your posts. I could also say things of ill manner that would be insulting to you.

Its just that I never hit anyone, no matter what they do to me, its quite frustrating to see someone think that hitting is a way of solving anything.

OP
J

J-kid

I think you can take your self ego trip that you like to take else were. You say that you know me from my posts, yet if this was true I could tell from your post that your a real jerk. You call me a bully i call you a jerk. The guy i wanted to fight picks on other kids (i was never around when this happend) and also tryed picking a fight with me urler in the summer when he had all of his friends along and i didnt say ****. There is no way you can tell how people are from there posts/ to words for you. GROW UP

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This thread is now locked.

Cthulhu

-MT Admin.-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions