Daniel K Pai

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
does anyone know with whom Mr. Pai trained under it seems to be a mystery I talked with his senior student Pai Li Lung but to no avail any and all help would be appreciated I am trying to do a Martial Arts Lineage tree

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
thank you unfortunately there is to much controversy for me to continue my search with him I am wanting to be sure I am accurate

Rabu

Green Belt
Reaction score
http://seinenkai.com/

This site may be of assistance to you. A good source of information regarding Hawaii originated martial arts and artists. You may be able to find someone associated with them who will be able to offer you 'most reasonable' information to follow up on.

Best regards,

Rob

bturn

White Belt
Reaction score
For Info Concerning the late Grandmaster Pai contact Larry Collins Grandmaster of dragon way martial arts. Grandmaster Collins possess much knowledge of Daniel K. Pai and was a student of his for many years.
Contact him at 785-229-2517. He teaches from his dojo in Ottawa Ks 66067.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are many Pai Lum sites on the net.
Do not believe any of the GM's in Pai's lineage as being the soul inheritor of his system he promoted 5 to the rank of GM in hope they would continue his teachings and based on how long the had studied with him and their rank at that time. Unfortunately most agreed to disagree and claimed themselves to be the only Gm and inheritor of the system.
Yes I was around in those times and knew Pai for many years, I first met him in 1970 .

Read some of the sites and you will find some of the background on his training with his family and in other places
Sheldon

Almost

White Belt
Reaction score
does anyone know with whom Mr. Pai trained under it seems to be a mystery I talked with his senior student Pai Li Lung but to no avail any and all help would be appreciated I am trying to do a Martial Arts Lineage tree

The late Dr. Pai trained in a Northern Okinawan monistary for 5 years and then when he came back to the islands he was taught the family style of white dragon from is grandfather Po Fong Pai. That is what i'm told through my system and I believe it. Some people say diffentenly. Either way just take it objectively.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is no monastary in Okinwa

I have heard this argued before yet at the sanme time I have heard from people who where in Okinwa at about the same time, that Pai is said to have been there, that HE was indeed there and know as the leg breaker .

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okinawa isn't that big a place... 68 miles long, 20 miles wide.

If there were a temple on the North side of the island, I'm sure the southerners ... hell everybody, would've heard about it.

Might a little different on the outlying islands, but on the big island, it ain't that big. News I'm sure got around pretty easily.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The White Lotus Monastary - No one outside of the Pai circles has ever heard of it. Also, the monastatry never produced any other Kenpoist or Martial Artists of any stripe.

Did the monastary close after Pai achieved his training there?
And lastly where exactly is/was it??

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
This monastary did exist for several years but a person by the name of Ashida Kim came over from Japan and single handedly destroyed it with the use of his flaming arrows. It was burned to the ground in or around 1975 if my memory serves me right. Hope this info helps you out.

Kane47960

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been in Martials arts, over 40 years. Ive seen Grandmasters, that block punches with there Chi. I met Pi at one of George Dilman, Karate Circus in Wichita Kansas. This was when they talk Instructor Jon Balee to get his *** kicked in Centry 2 by Roger Carpenter. We spent alot of time with Daniel K Pi. I went back over the years and researched his White Dragon story, Monstary, In Okinawa, and all of that. I have met, anyone that could not be punched, so even tho Grandmaster Dilman, claims he cant be, so, let me tell you a new joke. A horse walks into a bar, bartender looks up, and says to the horse, hey buddy why the long face. They were many super human instructors back then, with magical powers, like David Blain. But as with these instructors, if you pay Counte Dante 5 bucks, you too, can kill a bull with your hands, if you want to interveiw his students, they would probly say the same thing. Lets get real for a change!

Stonehorn

White Belt
Reaction score
Grandmaster Pai’s lineage is kinda murky just like many aspects of Pai Lum history. Pai was no stranger to controversy and might have intentionally misinformed people about his background. Many of the “myths” like that of the White Lotus Monastery are upheld by many of his students, that’s why talking to Glenn C. Wilson isn’t going to help you much. The only things I know for sure is that he was ranked in Judo and Jujitsu. I know this for sure because the certificates were hanging on the walls in the Pai Lum school I studied at. I also know that Pai had a dan certificate signed by Gogen Yamaguchi, though it’s unclear where he actually learnt Goju-ryu. He learnt Kempo in Hawaï under Richard Takamoto. Many of the self-defense sets in Pai Lum are taken directly from American Kempo. Parker and Pai were acquaintances but, as far as I know, didn’t study together. Pai started out teaching goju-ryu karate and added kung fu forms later on. Kung fu was hot in the Bruce Lee era and Pai could apparently master the forms and techniques of other by just watching them.

It’s a debate within Pai Lum if GM Pai ever learned any martial arts from family members. The forms with the pai prefix are said to have been taught to him by his grandfather. There is no proof of this and they might have been invented by Pai himself. Also, these forms don’t have equivalents in China.

Most people think that Pai’s teacher in Okinawa was Shigeru Nakamura a teacher of Okinawan Kempo, which is in fact an offshoot of Shorin-ryu Karate. I think Nakamura has a student teaching in the US called Bruce Heilman (though he has a different name for the system). There never has been a White Lotus temple in Okinawa and this has been well researched, it’s a fabrication and still taught in many Pai Lum schools. In an interview in Inside Kung Fu in the 1990’s Pai spoke of his training in Okinawa. From what I can gather, he did study there. David Everett, former live-in student of GM Pai, visited Okinawa with Pai and they met up with acquaintances he still knew from his time there.

I hope this will help you in your research. The goju-ryu connection and the connection to Nakamura would probably the easiest to trace. Marcia Pickands, direct student of GM Pai, was planning to write a book on his life. I hope it gets completed in my lifetime!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Seriously? -the last entry on this thread is 9 years old!

BTW My first training in asian martial arts was when I went to college back East, around 1975 or '76 with a guy who was a "disciple" of Daniel K. Pai. He described the system as true Chinese Kung-fu. After finishing college and returning home, I began training actual Chinese martial arts with some Chinese instructors. Imagined my disappointment upon learning that no-one in Hong-Kong, Taiwan, or certainly the mainland, had ever heard of Mr. Pai, and that his system can best be described as yet another version of Hawaian Kempo, with a tacked-on, theatrical Chinese "Kung-fu flair" that exploited the Bruce Lee Kung-fu craze of the times. A decade later, "ninjutsu" was the rage. Then BJJ, then MMA. And so it goes.

BTW, are there still schools that teach Pai Lum/White Dragon?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seriously? -the last entry on this thread is 9 years old!

BTW My first training in asian martial arts was when I went to college back East, around 1975 or '76 with a guy who was a "disciple" of Daniel K. Pai. He described the system as true Chinese Kung-fu. After finishing college and returning home, I began training actual Chinese martial arts with some Chinese instructors. Imagined my disappointment upon learning that no-one in Hong-Kong, Taiwan, or certainly the mainland, had ever heard of Mr. Pai, and that his system can best be described as yet another version of Hawaian Kempo, with a tacked-on, theatrical Chinese "Kung-fu flair" that exploited the Bruce Lee Kung-fu craze of the times. A decade later, "ninjutsu" was the rage. Then BJJ, then MMA. And so it goes.

BTW, are there still schools that teach Pai Lum/White Dragon?

"Pai Lum" doesn't mean "white dragon".

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Pai Lum" doesn't mean "white dragon".

The guy I learned from, David L Smith of New London, CT., called it "Pai Lum Pai" and translated it as "Pai's White Dragon" kung-fu ...or something like that. He did not speak Mandarin and I never wrote down the Chinese characters, so honestly it could mean anything. Depending on the character and tones used, pai or bai can mean white, and lum or long can mean dragon. We did go to a tournament in Pennsylvania and met with some other branches of "Pai Lum" there, so I know the guy was a part of a larger association and had studied with Danial K Pai.

But honestly, after moving back to my home state and switching to a verifiable Chinese lineage of Wing Chun (my teacher was a direct student of Yip Man), I just forgot all the Pai Lum stuff. No judgement either way. I just moved on. ;)

Last edited:

Latest Discussions