Cutting power of small blades

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
In this video Michael Janich demonstrates the severity of the damage that can be done with a blade as small as the one on a box-cutter. Very interesting and may be new for some.

[email protected]

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello Kenpotex,

Great link! Alot of people believe that a small blade will not inflict a serious wound or be able to reach a vital target, but of course a small demonstration as Mr. Janich provided clearly demonstrates otherwise. Another one that I have done a few times is to take meat (ribs etc) and practice a few thrusts to with a typical folder. Not much stops or really deflects the blade from a serious penetration.

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

P

PragmaticMartialArtist

The damage a small blade can do is true. But, have you noticed that most knife based arts use dagger sized blades at least six inches long for practice. After learning the angles of attack, body shifting, and checking with the dagger, I truly belive practice should be done with a small sized practice knife. Too often I see locks/disarms based on the shelving of the knife the size of a dagger that just won't work on a knife the size of folders. In an city setting most people who carry a knife carry a folder not a fixed blade dagger.

OP
KenpoTex

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
PragmaticMartialArtist said:
The damage a small blade can do is true. But, have you noticed that most knife based arts use dagger sized blades at least six inches long for practice. After learning the angles of attack, body shifting, and checking with the dagger, I truly belive practice should be done with a small sized practice knife. Too often I see locks/disarms based on the shelving of the knife the size of a dagger that just won't work on a knife the size of folders. In an city setting most people who carry a knife carry a folder not a fixed blade dagger.
Ahh the age old debate between effectiveness and convienence, or in this case, legality (why I carry a handgun and a folder instead of a 12-gauge and a Hell's Belle Bowie :D)

Seriously, I agree with you. Train with what you carry/use. the majority of my practice time with knives is spent using a trainer the same size as the live blades that I carry.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PragmaticMartialArtist said:

Actually, in what I've been exposed to, they do move to a smaller blade over time.

Personally, I start with the longer blade because it's easier to see the angles and physics. Then, as a student progresses, I bring in smaller blades. I'm also careful to teach, over and over, that a disarm isn't a goal. If it's there, great. If not, fine. But the same structure used for disarms can be used for returns and, failing that, at least it gives you some control over the blade.

Even a small blade can be returned.

Mike

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of the vid clips that he shows while he is talking is of a barfight in TX that really demonstrates the quickness of the attack, the lack of help from bistanders, and how quickly you can bleed out. I saw it in it's entirety at a PT camp and it was pretty intense.

Latest Discussions