Cung Le

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You believe that?

If not what else would get in you the cage, fighting an opponent to the best of your ability, there's nothing that you can take that will give you heart or courage not alcohol or drugs, it's in the person or not. There's no drug that can give you the will to win, you have the will or you don't, doesn't come in tablet or liquid form.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Having been and athlete and around a lot of athletes through the years every athlete I have ever known is always looking for the next edge. Whether it be training methods, technique, performance enhancing drugs, etc. This is just the way it is. Older fighter trying to keep up with the younger fighters. What do you think he is going to do? Particularly when the other fighters are doing it as well.

Having said the above I have always enjoyed watching Cung Le. Great fighter who had a different style and it was a joy to watch him do his thing!

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If not what else would get in you the cage, fighting an opponent to the best of your ability, there's nothing that you can take that will give you heart or courage not alcohol or drugs, it's in the person or not. There's no drug that can give you the will to win, you have the will or you don't, doesn't come in tablet or liquid form.

Okay from a pure human perspective I agree, but I meant from a substance viewpoint. Chemical interactions can change the average joe into juiced up gorrilla. Of course, very unlikely in the ring or cage, but with modern day science and crap testing methods, not impossible IMHO.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay from a pure human perspective I agree, but I meant from a substance viewpoint. Chemical interactions can change the average joe into juiced up gorrilla. Of course, very unlikely in the ring or cage, but with modern day science and crap testing methods, not impossible IMHO.

The point of taking whatever Cung Le did wouldn't be to turn him into a 'juiced up gorilla', he wasn't a complete beginner nor is he in anyway average lol. For him the benefits of doping would have to be purely physical and to replace what nature in the form of aging has taken away. Being juiced up would only cloud things for him not improve them. he would look to replace any muscle loss and strength not mess with his mind. what does mess with your mind sometimes is that you are aging, it's hard to come to terms sometimes with the fact you can't do as much as you used to and you have all those niggling injuries that take longer to heal ( another reason to dope, to heal quicker or at least at the same speed you used to) sigh I know all about it lol.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point of taking whatever Cung Le did wouldn't be to turn him into a 'juiced up gorilla', he wasn't a complete beginner nor is he in anyway average lol. For him the benefits of doping would have to be purely physical and to replace what nature in the form of aging has taken away. Being juiced up would only cloud things for him not improve them. he would look to replace any muscle loss and strength not mess with his mind. what does mess with your mind sometimes is that you are aging, it's hard to come to terms sometimes with the fact you can't do as much as you used to and you have all those niggling injuries that take longer to heal ( another reason to dope, to heal quicker or at least at the same speed you used to) sigh I know all about it lol.

Never said he was. Sorry I have not conveyed my point correctly so I will leave it there. Thanks.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never said he was. Sorry I have not conveyed my point correctly so I will leave it there. Thanks.

I know you didn't say he was, just saying that whatever he took will be for a different effect, male HRT if you like.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I'm with Tez. You can't teach heart, you can't inject heart....(not sure you can train yourself into heart, not sure you can't, either.)

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm with Tez. You can't teach heart, you can't inject heart....(not sure you can train yourself into heart, not sure you can't, either.)

Agreed, but it doesn't stop people from taking drugs that do mask the pain and give them perceived benefits in the ring. I have known of many fighters that self dose with cocaine for the hyper feeling and dulling the pain.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, but it doesn't stop people from taking drugs that do mask the pain and give them perceived benefits in the ring. I have known of many fighters that self dose with cocaine for the hyper feeling and dulling the pain.

That though is a different thing, the hyper feeling isn't the same as heart, it's just feeling hyper. Heart is in the training not the fighting, the day in day out grind of training when you could be with family and friends, when you don't feel too bright. Adrenaline will give the hyper feeling and dull pain so perhaps if the adrenaline is lacking and the fighters have to take cocaine then their heart is lacking.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
That though is a different thing, the hyper feeling isn't the same as heart, it's just feeling hyper. Heart is in the training not the fighting, the day in day out grind of training when you could be with family and friends, when you don't feel too bright. Adrenaline will give the hyper feeling and dull pain so perhaps if the adrenaline is lacking and the fighters have to take cocaine then their heart is lacking.

I was agreeing with you that you can't take "heart in a pill". It's something that you have to reveal through hard training.

My point was that people do take drugs to create an "invincible feeling" when they go in there. Call it what you will, but people will try to get any advantage they can in a pill/shot.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was agreeing with you that you can't take "heart in a pill". It's something that you have to reveal through hard training.

My point was that people do take drugs to create an "invincible feeling" when they go in there. Call it what you will, but people will try to get any advantage they can in a pill/shot.

You can't however be sure that's the effect you will get from drugs though, risky and probably pointless, an invincible feeling is useless when it comes to fighting, much like being angry you end up making basic mistakes. Far from an advantage taking drugs of that sort is a liability.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't however be sure that's the effect you will get from drugs though, risky and probably pointless, an invincible feeling is useless when it comes to fighting, much like being angry you end up making basic mistakes. Far from an advantage taking drugs of that sort is a liability.

Heightened senses would be a little prone to mistakes.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
UFC due to media ridicule extent 9 mo ban to 12 mo ban, and it still ridiculed since Le fough once per several years.
And now for PR sake after Le post his rebuttal online, UFC gives "answering right" to Le...
Now with new HGH test already taken several casualties, including Chael and Wand, I wonder what 2015 will like when the test will be done randomly year round...
Sent from my RM-943_apac_indonesia_207 using Tapatalk

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UFC due to media ridicule extent 9 mo ban to 12 mo ban, and it still ridiculed since Le fough once per several years.
And now for PR sake after Le post his rebuttal online, UFC gives "answering right" to Le...
Now with new HGH test already taken several casualties, including Chael and Wand, I wonder what 2015 will like when the test will be done randomly year round...
Sent from my RM-943_apac_indonesia_207 using Tapatalk

Politics as usual.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UFC now back down as they now have an excuse irrespective of guilt or innocence. Man against the machine, machine must win I guess. Next there will be a bumper pay day as way of an apology irrespective of guilt or innocence. Well probably not in Cung Le's case, but then again being 40 plus. ABBA were right years ago, money money money .. .... .... .....

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
UFC now back down as they now have an excuse irrespective of guilt or innocence. Man against the machine, machine must win I guess. Next there will be a bumper pay day as way of an apology irrespective of guilt or innocence. Well probably not in Cung Le's case, but then again being 40 plus. ABBA were right years ago, money money money .. .... .... .....

A loophole on technicality, even though his level was way way beyond normal level...
The hgh test should have a method like steroid test, that can differentiate syntetic and natural produced one.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A loophole on technicality, even though his level was way way beyond normal level...
The hgh test should have a method like steroid test, that can differentiate syntetic and natural produced one.

Guess so. Maybe some boffin will invent a foolproof one some day.

Latest Discussions