Crosstraining

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by ArnisNewbie
so that's why i focus on being effective....i know that the term self defence covers more than just fighting....but that is what i wanna put my emphasis on...i have been able to talk myself out of a fight more than once...but i wanna be prepared if it occurs....

Thats what Im talking about...being "prepared" is more than just "fighting"but Im not talking about "talking" your way out of fights either. If you take some deep cuts from a knife defense situation, do you know enough first aid to stay alive? Do you have a kit in your vehicle? If you found that descretion was the better part of valor and had to make a run for it, how fast and far could you go? Could you drive your way out of a carjacking set-up? Does your physical training prepare you for events other than fighting? Take for instance an event in my job... I had to chase some car thieves about 1/4-1/2 mile, jump 2, 6" chain link fences (cutting myself up pretty good doing it) than run down and tackle/cuff/search a subject while my co-workers rounded up the rest. Im a runner and my "wind" was good, I wasnt "out of breath" and my heart rate came back down pretty quick. What I felt beat by was the sprinting with a good 10-20 pounds of vest, belt, gun-n-gear for that distance. My legs felt like jello and the fence hopping did a job too. So now I "crosstrain" with more stamina leg drills (one leg squats etc.) and lifting exercises that simulate things like fence jumping (chins/dips). Now Im not saying that cross training in another MA is a bad thing, just really think about your end goal. If mastery of hand to hand fighting is it than have at it. Just know that it may not always be enough to survive on the "street" in and of itself.

OP
A

ArnisNewbie

hey Tgace

yeah got ya point...it sounds like you have a lot of experience with that kinda things...and i must admit that my physical shape is not as good as i has been but still it is not downright bad...and the reason i wanted to do some shootfighting was to build stamina...i know i could run og work out in a gym...but it is quite expensive...i train at home instead lifting some weights and doing chinups, pushups, situps ect...

but i don't have much time because of my studies...and then i have to be effective in the time i have avavible...

perhaps i will start running or something...

anyway thanx for your comments....keep'em coming

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would recommend jumping rope if you are limited on time, money and space for training. I can use mine outside when weather permits or inside. When my apartments were too small, I use to go in the hall where the cieling was higher. It is a very portable tool.

Martial Arts is great for training skill, but fight stamina is not something that can be developed well exclusively in a class. That is why "Tae - Bo"/cardio - kick classes are so popular (deluding the general public, but popular) now. The local Krav Maga school offers a great Martial Arts based conditioning class with real Martial Arts Trained Instructors leading the exercises.

Most 'fighters' who want to stay alive pr are earn a living using martial skills spend time training endurance and stamina (running, swimming is GREAT, cycling...) along with MA skill. Even the old bare knuckle fighters recognized good old manual labor of the work day (farming, mining...) as part of their training regiment. Now that our average lives are so soft compared to back then, professionals and serious trainers turn to exercise for endurance development.

From early civilization to the relatively recent history (early 20th) people could normally walk a total of 15 to 20 miles a day during daily activity. Now, I don't think we are even close to that number in 1st world or modern countries.

I like rope work because of its convinience and benefits:

1. Excellent coordination/agility development.
2. Excellent aerobic conditioning.
3. If done properly, can be used to develop speed and short burst intensity for fight conditioning.
4. With proper planning, progress is safe and noticebly quick - which can feel really good and motivate you to keep challenging yourself.
5. For FMAers, it helps develop stick/weapon skill because you are using the same forearm and wrist snap that you use at the end of a stick strike. Plus the variety of jumping patterns really enhances your ability to pick up foot work patterns quickly

Reality is that if you are in a street fight, it will be really quick or you will be really hurt/dead. But, it is extremely physically draining and as TGACE mentioned, endurance leads to a quicker recovery from the demand which translates to a better mental awareness state and better readiness for another attack/fight, or multiple opponents.

endurance is only a piece of the total fight picture, but a significant one in my opinion.

Paul Martin

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I see so many skills/arts out there that could be of use and Id like to crosstrain in. The problem is that theres only so much $$/time that I have to spend. My personal goal is to do at least one thing a day to hone my skills, be it just a work out, a dry-fire session with my weapon, read the latest trade magazine etc. I try to not let a day pass without doing something.

OP
C

chaosomega

Originally posted by loki09789
The trick to reduce confusion is to keep a journal or note book so that when you can review your thoughts/training and look back to find the answers to alot of questions as time goes on.

Paul Martin

YES! Journal's are an excellent tool for any martial artist! I'm almost finished my first one, and I'm not even training at a school right now (which shows how much you can learn while not training). Try to write down anything you learn, and theories you think might work that you want to try. That way you can look back after you have, and make more notes on whether or not it did.

In closing, I <3 my journal.

Latest Discussions