Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I start having Kyle in Crossside

$crossside-armbar-1.jpg

I wrap my arm around his

$crossside-armbar-2.jpg

Step over his head and extend to finish the lock.

$crossside-armbar-3.jpg

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
don't know this technique--can you add a verbal description? I am in this position often because I don't have much luck in the mount (I always grapple bigger people who can use their strength/weight)--an option like this seems useful.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Once I get to "crosside", which honestly, IMO, looks like an incomplete kesa gatame, I would prefer not to move from that position.

For example...Using Andrew's pics as a reference:

In pic one...Andrew moves his right arm, which is supporting him, to behind Kyles head. Then make Kyle tip his head forward by trying to touch his forehead to your chest. Keeping all the slack up, simply rock back toward Kyle's waist, basically squeezing the diaphragm. (Think about wringing out a washcloth) These two motions together make it next to imposible to breathe. Tap out usually arrives relatively quickly...quicker when they struggle and run out of air.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Henderson, do you mean something like this: http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28232 ?

Arnisador - The arm work is very similar to a standing arm bar taught in many traditional arts. You want to straighten out the arm as best as possible when you wrap it, use the leg over the head to secure him and extend your hips to apply pressure to the arms.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm missing something, what I got pictured doesn't seem like it would get a tap...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Yeah, I'm missing something, what I got pictured doesn't seem like it would get a tap...

I can't quite see where I would get enough pressure on the arm without letting him roll me--but I imagine I'd have to feel it!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:

With your right arm guard down, he should just tap you in the face! hehe. Just kidding, I understand it's a demonstration.

Sometimes these things don't look as bad as they feel.

Rebiu

<B>Banned</B>
Reaction score
Bad technique

Has no control. Easily escaped. Impossible to apply sufficient pressure is resisted.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bad technique

Has no control. Easily escaped. Impossible to apply sufficient pressure is resisted.
Perhaps you could post your version then, instead of replying to every thread in this forum with (paraphrased) "that won't work." :idunno:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotta agree...

At the very least, he's gotta support it with some sort of explanation of his qualifications. But, even then, he really could stand to support his argument with more than a "that sucks!"

Rebiu

<B>Banned</B>
Reaction score
I gotta agree...

At the very least, he's gotta support it with some sort of explanation of his qualifications. But, even then, he really could stand to support his argument with more than a "that sucks!"

I suppose you have a point.
I have been trained by
Rigan Machado
Richard Bustillo
Pat Militech
Mick Doyle
Kawini Mau Mau

The better know fighters I have trained with are
Jeremy Horn
Ricco Rodriguez
Fabiano Iha
Jens Pulver
Matt Hughes
Tony Messenger
Eric Paulsen
Joe Riggs
Story Gotti
many more I am not remembering

Rebiu

<B>Banned</B>
Reaction score
Perhaps you could post your version then, instead of replying to every thread in this forum with (paraphrased) "that won't work." :idunno:

There is no version of this armbar setup that works. As you have seen in other threads if I can offer the a workable version I do. You do not have to agree with me, if you're smart you will really test this technique with the intent of finding its weaknesses before you accept it. You will find it does not really work.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't know this technique--can you add a verbal description? I am in this position often because I don't have much luck in the mount (I always grapple bigger people who can use their strength/weight)--an option like this seems useful.

In MMA mount is only really useful under pro rules as you can ground and pound, we tend not to like it very much for am and semi pro where you can't strike to the head. I'm in the same boat as you, I only grapple people bigger than me ( and only males to boot!) so whatever I do in mount doesn't work too well, I like side control though.

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is one of my favorite techniques. I getting grappling both gi and no-gi. I like to attack it in conjunction with the inverse armbar on the oppisit side. If Andrew could trap his opponents left wrist on his right shoulder by his neck he can finish the inverse armbar too by grabbing the elbow and pulling in. Both techniques rely on having good sense of balance from the motified scarfhold position that he attacks from.

There is no version of this armbar setup that works. As you have seen in other threads if I can offer the a workable version I do. You do not have to agree with me, if you're smart you will really test this technique with the intent of finding its weaknesses before you accept it. You will find it does not really work.
I work this all the time. Works for me, you must be doing something wrong.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a nice tricky set up for a smooth motion armbar. If you are herky jerky in your motion then this may be difficult but if you are smooth and use your upper body as weight on their chest then you've got a good chance of success. Even though everything can be countered if the other guy is already ahead of you, however if he is behind.
icon6.gif

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been trained by
Rigan Machado
Richard Bustillo
Pat Militech
Mick Doyle
Kawini Mau Mau

Jeremy Horn
Ricco Rodriguez
Fabiano Iha
Jens Pulver
Matt Hughes
Tony Messenger
Eric Paulsen
Joe Riggs
Story Gotti

Oh lord, yet another name dropper. The list of who you "trained with" DOES NOT indicate knowledge or skill level. Your commentary has been lacking, your listing of possible counters ridiculous (as every move has a counter), and some of the stuff you have listed as "suggestions" are just plain....nevermind I'm killing brain cells here. I just hope that you're better today than that "steller" MMA career you had going almost a decade ago...assuming you are Jaymon Hotz as posted in another thread. So far I'm not impressed with the "knowledge" you've been presenting.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is one of my favorite techniques. I getting grappling both gi and no-gi. I like to attack it in conjunction with the inverse armbar on the oppisit side. If Andrew could trap his opponents left wrist on his right shoulder by his neck he can finish the inverse armbar too by grabbing the elbow and pulling in. Both techniques rely on having good sense of balance from the motified scarfhold position that he attacks from. I work this all the time. Works for me, you must be doing something wrong.

Same here. Done this armbar too many times...oh wait a minute....it doesn't work LOL.

Rebiu

<B>Banned</B>
Reaction score
Oh lord, yet another name dropper. The list of who you "trained with" DOES NOT indicate knowledge or skill level. Your commentary has been lacking, your listing of possible counters ridiculous (as every move has a counter), and some of the stuff you have listed as "suggestions" are just plain....nevermind I'm killing brain cells here. I just hope that you're better today than that "steller" MMA career you had going almost a decade ago...assuming you are Jaymon Hotz as posted in another thread. So far I'm not impressed with the "knowledge" you've been presenting.

In understand you frustration. I suspose your nonexistent career and Kenpo fighting style give you more clout and knowledge than I. I suspect you post could be constued as a personal attack, rude, uncalled and uncalled for.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been trained by
Rigan Machado
Richard Bustillo
Pat Militech
Mick Doyle
Kawini Mau Mau

Jeremy Horn
Ricco Rodriguez
Fabiano Iha
Jens Pulver
Matt Hughes
Tony Messenger
Eric Paulsen
Joe Riggs
Story Gotti

Oooh what fun! :rolleyes: Andrew is kind enough to take the time to post up some moves for us to have a look at and it turns into a "who I've trained with" thread! Now these moves may or may not work but getting a fit of the 'condescending twats' isn't very nice!

Rebiu, it would be far more impressive if this list of fighters named you as the person they trained with! It would also be impressive if you could play the game and post some viable alternatives instead of a bland 'it don't work'. If your knowledge is superior to ours, show us some good moves in good faith.

I can play the name game too, I train with Ian 'The Machine' Freeman and Leigh Remedious (who has a very good instructional DVD out) and Micheal Bisping started fighting on our shows. Yeah and my daughter knows the Dubai Royal Family so there.......:uhyeah:

Latest Discussions