*Creating Power*

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpo Yahoo
How do you generate power for your strikes (kicks, punches, elbows etc.)? Feel free to pick any of the above. If you like... talk about muscle groups, body mechanics, and all that stuff.

Just trying to promote some thought. Not that I don't like talking about who's better than who, or why kenpo is or isn't effective, but I just thought we might do a little headwork for a while.

Any one interested?

Check out this book, "Zen in the Martial Arts" By Joe Hyams

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
I've been reading on other threads that perhaps it is possible to increase power by slowing your strike down. Does this make sense to anyone?

Look at the Paul Mills clip in which he executes a block.

I thought that was a joke and I asked an AKKI 4th degree member about it and he personally shoed me that slow block generating power. I was in pain on my arm for a solid 48 hours and it was still tender for a week. He also showed me how to do it. It was awesome.

Thanks
Rick

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Klondike93 said:
Well I was currious because I've heard a lot of people say it helps give you more power and yet with Bruce Lee's 1-inch punch he never made a sound. He just moved and the person he hit went flying. No real big movement with the hips, drawing the arm back etc, just the punch. So there in lies my interest in why the kiai.

:asian:

Well, I think Bruce is generating power through mostly rotational force but in a very short distance. There is no big movement but more of a twitch, internal energy being released in a very short movement. It's like a wave traveling up through the body and out the arm. My instructor is very good at using that principle. As far as the kiai, I don’t think it HAS to make a sound; you can expel a large amount of air with out the sound. But I have never seen a video with sound of Bruce Lee doing that 1-inch punch.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let's not miss the obvious. If technical superiority in the Martial Arts is the equalizer against the big guy, what do you do when the big guy is as good as you are?

Work on your technical game (i.e., marriage of gravity), but strength-train like a mad man too. The bigger you are, the harder you'll hit. And don't forget to train legs...you can't fire a cannon out of a canoe.

My Kenpo sparring partner is a 265 lbs body-builder who is as quick and tricky as any of the smaller, twitchier black belts in the studio (interesting place to be, in front of a fast-moving, clear-minded train). My BJJ randori partner is a state champ power lifter, and it takes him a lot less energy to wrangle me then it does for me to chase him...not to mention he can choke somebody reeeaaaalllly hard.

And learn about the biomechanics of power. Sports physiology and kinesiology journals and texts are full of articles and research pieces on optimum form for generating ballistic kinematic forces (i.e., throwing a ball or shot put). Watch quarterbacks throw for length or speed, or an Olympic javeline thrower chuck one down field...hop, skip, jump, BAM! That's the intensity you want in a rear-hand strike...not just the mere shifting of 60/40 weight distributions in stance, but the whole-hearted intensity of a shot-putter going for gold. More strength; more momentum; more intensity; and get out of the stance box.

Mental exercise: Can you imagine SGM Parker after a couple years in the gym on juice and Growth?

Latest Discussions