Could you have passed the 8th grade in 1895?

T

TheRustyOne

Originally posted by pknox

Think about it - if you asked someone what state "New York City" was in, and they answered "New Jersey," wouldn't you be shocked?

LOL. no. because to the rest of us non Jerseys, almost all of northern New Jersey wants to be like New York.

...as for the mass of bad roads, i made 4 left turns on one road, and never once crossed myself. my dad works in jersey, so i gotta cut him some slack. only reason we live in maryland is that the cost of living is high in jersey. gotta pay for those attendants to pump your gas for you, eh? ;) ...surprisingly, from what i've dealt with, the Turnpike is better than I-95 in delaware (my mom lives in wilmington. i live w/ dad)

...okay! enough of off-topic jersey bashing!

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Interesting problem we have here teaching our youth. I believe It simply comes down to having a condusive learning enviroment, teachers willing to teach, students willing to learn, and parents willing to participate in their childs education. Yeah thats alot of (wills) out there, and maybe thats the problem... too many.

don

T

TonyM.

I think it's obvious we've lowered the bar and it was a big mistake. I remember when they started grading on a curve in the 60's I was very happy that passing tests became easier. Now of course I realize that actually learning something is a lot more important than passing or even looking looking smart by getting good grades. Sadly none of this applies to the history I was taught in the fifties and sixties. Most of that I've had to scratch at relearning because human nature seems to dictate that historians can never tell the truth. Or if the truth was their **** they couldn't find it with two hands.

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod Note

I've created a new 'Interesting Food combinations from your area' thread and split the food comments to that one..

Thanks for keeping things on topic

Tess
MT Mod

R

rmcrobertson

I'm wit' Don on this one. Gimme the class, pay me decently, educate me adequately, make sure I'm not a lunatic, and stay the hell out of my way.

It would also help, of course, if the students were a) fed when they got to school and the night before, b) unworried about their kids, c) free of fear about getting beat up on the way home or AT home, d) able to have quiet time to study, e) able to have the books to study with, f) able to live somewhere halfway decent, g) able to learn in a society that did not reward obviously-ignorant morons like Dan Quayle, John Rocker, and Britney Spears so highly, h) able to learn in a society that did not feature quite so much hypocrisy by the "elders," (Wm Bennett comes immediately to mind, as do Jesse Jackson and Pat Robertson) who pontificate at them.

Much of our present problem with education comes from the fact that over the last twenty years or so, we've actually had to start living up to the commitment to educate EVERYBODY, and many Americans simply don't want to pay for it.

Here's a comment you'll really hate: regardless of his buffoonery as President, Bill Clinton is a beautiful example of everything that's right about the American educational system. The fact that we are making it harder and harder for such people is a sign of exactly what's wrong.

Yeah, I'm saying throw money at the problem. Why not? We throw money at our movies, our pets, our cosmetics, our quack nostrums, our stupid B-2 bombers, our political parties, our tax breaks for the wealthy, our stock market, our Enrons...

Of course, once I'm king, there will also be a bump in unemployment as about 10-20% of teachers at all levels, and about 30-40% of administrators in schools, have to go scrabbling for new jobs. Also unemployed will be the sorts of morons who lobby to get tests changed because the tests included some essay on vegetarianism, and the history books changed because they offhandedly note that homosexuals were put into camps by the Nazis, and the lit books changed because, "Huckleberry Finn," tells the truth.

There will also be a lot of yelling when we start teaching real history and real biology again--and students will despair, because they will all have to do the frickin' work in order to pass.

Once I'm king, that is. Till then, I expect more nonsense.

K

khadaji

I think most of us could have passed the test if we learned under the corrisponding curriculum.

The large problem in schools today (other then politics) is that we have much more information, and expectations that the children have to meet.

people had a lot better memory before the printing press was invented.

the things we find important change over time. There is nothing bad about it.

Latest Discussions