Could learning online work if..

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I feel the love comin' on man, what say you we move on to some thing more productive and heated discussions.:drinky:

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
To everyone who replied to me. Brian and Flying crane and Cyracius, thank you. Brian your correct, despite the fact that the video instruction on that website Is top notch, I would not want to only learn my boxing from it. My boxing coach was able to pick up things I was doing. Don't drop your hands, stop leaning into the punch's, don't hold your lead hand so far out, bring your rear up to you chin, ect...

I think I can say im firmly in the supplementation camp now instead of the primary form of learning camp. Case in point. Those blocks on www.myboxingcoach.com a lot of them work optimally with a evasive movment before their application. Such as the out side parry. Slip the jab, then as your returning to the center, they will launch their cross, that's the time to use the outside parry. As your coming back from the slip.. You cant get that from a video..

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
ok.. Do you feel better about yourself now? Please continue your block quotations to address the remaining paragraphs I wrote. You're very entertaining.

:hmm: and the next post says you did not intend to insault....interesting....

Actually I feel no different and block quotes tends to be the way many respond here, it tends to cut down on the confusion

And those were responses to your post, if you had read them you would see they were specific responses to the things you had said in some cases defenses of my position the first one ws to your claim that you were using "basic" statements of others that were "very accurate" when in fact they are not and if you go back through the posts anyone can see that. Therefore they are embellished. The second was to the cash issue and your statement that the "argument doesn't hold much weight really" I gave you a list of people I have trained with (right there with them not online) who charge nothing or very little, and I did omit one that was a Wing Chun sifu. Therefore your defense of the position did not work

Since you have no response other than another not so veiled insult then I guess your defense of your position, at least form the accuracy of your statements and the cash issue is not so much of a defense after all

As for the third block quote, it was just to point out your propensity for insulting people when you have no way to defend your position

I said it a while back and I should have stuck to my post, I will waste no more time here on you or your post.

Enjoy your online training

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
:hmm: and the next post says you did not intend to insault....interesting....

Actually I feel no different and block quotes tends to be the way many respond here, it tends to cut down on the confusion

And those were responses to your post, if you had read them you would see they were specific responses to the things you had said in some cases defenses of my position the first one ws to your claim that you were using "basic" statements of others that were "very accurate" when in fact they are not and if you go back through the posts anyone can see that. Therefore they are embellished. The second was to the cash issue and your statement that the "argument doesn't hold much weight really" I gave you a list of people I have trained with (right there with them not online) who charge nothing or very little, and I did omit one that was a Wing Chun sifu. Therefore your defense of the position did not work

Since you have no response other than another not so veiled insult then I guess your defense of your position, at least form the accuracy of your statements and the cash issue is not so much of a defense after all

As for the third block quote, it was just to point out your propensity for insulting people when you have no way to defend your position

I said it a while back and I should have stuck to my post, I will waste no more time here on you or your post.

Enjoy your online training

Thank you... Happy Training.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My boxing coach was able to pick up things I was doing. Don't drop your hands, stop leaning into the punch's, don't hold your lead hand so far out, bring your rear up to you chin, ect...

Bingo. That's exactly the kind of thing you need a good instructor to do, to catch those errors as you are making them, not just in a review once a month or once every six months. I can practically guarantee that you will make the very same mistakes again the very next day. Those are the kinds of errors that people make without even realizing them. That's why the corrections need to be made over and over, until the student really becomes consistent and starts to get it right without being corrected. That takes time and repetition and will not happen on one's own.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
God forbid you need a CAT scan, routine blood test, or have to brake suddenly at a stop light. I'm sure these are all hindrances to your livelihood.
Again with the straw man. I'm saying that technology can be a hindrance, not that it is always a hindrance. You said it is not a hindrance to our everyday lives ("It was technology can and does enhance our everyday lives without being a hindrance."), and I disagree with that.

I no longer object to your choice of training; that is up to you. However, there are limits to the usefulness of some technologies. In time, as you grow older, you may begin to see them. Good luck with your training.

strike101

White Belt
Reaction score
Interesting thread.

There's another online learning site www.wingchunonline.net run by my sifu (I started recently), Colin Ward. It's ip chun lineage if thats what you're after.
I find him to be a very good teacher and explains concepts and principles thoroughly and in a way that makes perfect sense.

In regards to learning online obviously for a lot of drills and chi sao you need a partner. Also I think using an online portal such as this is a good compliment to taking lessons in person. I imagine it's probably perfect for someone who doesn't have the time to attend a class often but really wants to learn wing chun. They could then learn basic principles with online videos and then be corrected if anything is wrong when they attend a lesson. Just my 2 cents

Latest Discussions