Cool Capoeria Clip!

OP
HKphooey

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
And some more. They titled it karate kicks, but looks a lot like Capoeria...

Last edited by a moderator:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is a link to some video clips on my school's website. I'm not in any of them, but you can take a look...

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dang, I'm getting dizzy just watching this one! LOL!

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some cool traditional clips

Wow! That Narcelio guy is amazing. Makes me wish I took some capoeria back when I was a energetic kid :)

I don't know, looks like that "extreme martial arts" stuff more than Capoeria, especially if you look closely at some of the very few punches he throws.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is cool fight with Capoeirs. It is taken from a movie so nothing real...

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a question for people who do Capoeira. With all those jumps and spinning how can you tell what movements your opponent does? I mean, if the opponent moves to the side or enters inside your attack can you still see his/her movement even tho you are executing those jumps and spins?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a question for people who do Capoeira. With all those jumps and spinning how can you tell what movements your opponent does? I mean, if the opponent moves to the side or enters inside your attack can you still see his/her movement even tho you are executing those jumps and spins?

When you train and work with people in this context, you learn to have an eye for this and you learn to respond very quickly and spontaneously. But it takes a lot of practice.

The big thing that I don't like about many of the capoeira clips floating around on Youtube these days is that they tend to focus on the acrobatics, and show very little of the actual development of the game. Just because someone can do all the crazy, flashy moves, doesn't mean he is a good capoeirista. A good capoeirista can have a masterful game and dominate the roda, while using minimal acrobatics. The vision of the game is far more important, the ability to move and manipulate and outplay the opponent, showing strong attacks and defenses and evasions. For an experienced capoeirista, that is far more impressive than a bunch of acrobatics that, when overdone, can actually separate the player from the game. The game in the roda is an interactive experience between the two players. When one becomes too focused on acrobatics, it turns into a showoff session and there is no interaction or game. Acrobatics are thrown at inappropriate times, and they serve no function in the game. They are just showboating, and that doesn't speak well of someone's skill. An experienced capoeirista will spot that immediately.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Crane. By your answer I understood that Capoeira is not only the acrobatic part. I guess I misjudged the art, my bad.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you Crane. By your answer I understood that Capoeira is not only the acrobatic part. I guess I misjudged the art, my bad.

yeah, it's really a very sophisticated art with protocols and real fighting technique. The acrobatics serve to add "spice" to the game, but like in cooking, too much spice ruins the feast.

Much of the acrobatics we see nowadays are fairly new to the art. Like in XMA, players have been pushing the envelope and developing and adapting acrobatics that are more and more extreme, and I think in many cases it is to the detriment of the art.

The focus is falling more and more on the acrobatics, and the real development of skill in the game is taking a back seat to the showboating. I often see young people come into the school as beginners, but right away the want to do all the crazy backflips and stuff, and if they have talent they can figure that stuff out pretty quickly. But that becomes the focus, and they never learn good technique outside the acrobatics, and they never learn to develop and play a good and fierce game. They jump into the roda, do a whole string of acrobatics that effectively separate them from any interaction with their partner, and they think they are playing a great game and winning, because they can showboat better than the other guy. But really they are just showing their ignorance of the game, because the game takes interaction between the two players.

These acrobatics are impressive in their own way, there is certainly a good deal of athleticism required and I respect that on its own merits. But if they aren't used appropriately in the roda, then they are meaningless. Maybe the guys in these video clips really can play a good game, but they show very little of that in the clips. I would personally be far more impressed if they showed more of that ability, and stopped all the showboating.

Latest Discussions