Controversial Reports About Bruce Lee

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So some people here have even posted that there have been some reports about Bruce Lee that are controversial and that make Bruce Lee himself a more controversial person. Apparently he was not always the calm and patient zen master that he's made out to be.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So some people here have even posted that there have been some reports about Bruce Lee that are controversial and that make Bruce Lee himself a more controversial person. Apparently he was not always the calm and patient zen master that he's made out to be.
No, wait, you mean he was....human?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can you elaborate?

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bruce Lee was a serious student of martial arts. He was fast. He was driven to succeed. He was a little cocky. He innovated and popularized martial art movies and TV. He was tough. He was a fighter. He was a thinker. He ventured outside the box of his original art. He was famous (and thus attracted controversy.) And he's been dead for a long time.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Is this really that hot of a take?
Who holds him up as some serene man of peace and tranquility?
He was a passionate martial artist who was very interested in Western and Eastern philosophy, but he admitted in his writings and interviews that he had an intense personality and a hot temper.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

200.gif

This is news....and controversial....how?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not controversial unless you have BL on a pedestal or listen to the "hero worship" that many have for him.

If you want to read a book at the other end of the extreme of the hero worship, read "Unsettled Matters". Tom Bleecker wrote it and was married to Linda Lee for a time.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is this really that hot of a take?
Who holds him up as some serene man of peace and tranquility?
He was a passionate martial artist who was very interested in Western and Eastern philosophy, but he admitted in his writings and interviews that he had an intense personality and a hot temper.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I see, well a hot temper is contradictory with the patience that is emphasized so much in the martial arts.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see, well a hot temper is contradictory with the patience that is emphasized so much in the martial arts.
Consider that the reason that ideal shows so often in MA philosophy is perhaps because hotheads are often drawn to someplace where they get to express that physically (contact sports, MA, etc.).

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I heard from a friend who knew someone who actually trained with Bruce Lee that he wore a toupee.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I heard from a friend who knew someone who actually trained with Bruce Lee that he wore a toupee.

I know a guy, who knew a guy who over heard some folks talking who claimed to hear from a student of a student of Bruce Lee......it appears.....he might have been Chinese and his real name was not Bruce ;)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know a guy, who knew a guy who over heard some folks talking who claimed to hear from a student of a student of Bruce Lee......it appears.....he might have been Chinese and his real name was not Bruce ;)
But was he Bruce's Father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate? If not, I'm not sure his claim is valid...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Actually, I heard his last name was Bruce. His first name was Robert. And he was from Mexico.... Mexico, New York, that is.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So Bruce Lee was really the patient zen master that he was popularly believed to be?

Latest Discussions