Contact Lenses

Ric Flair

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, i was at a boxing club the other day and the head coach/instructor noticed i wear glasses. He told me if I ever to sparring or having matches,

I WOULD HAVE TO WEAR CONTACTS!!!! Is this true?

ANyone on here wear contacts? IT seems pretty annoying to put it in your eyes every single day lol.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've worn contacts for thirty some years. The new soft ones are easier to get used to, Unless you are really attached to your glasses, why not? Actually, I have both. TW

Korppi76

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have problems mainly with one of my eyes and I train without glasses.
But many of my friends train with contact lenses and they dont have problems with them.

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've trained using contacts for about 15 years now. No problems. I personally wear the soft 30 day lenses and have experienced no side effects at all. Just be careful how you wipe the sweat from your eyes or you'll wipe the contacts out as well.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
These new 30-day lenses are great. You can wear them 24 hours a day for 30 days.

Only 1 time did a sparring match cause me to lose a contact. I've tried it without lenses or glasses and got smacked around real good because I just could NOT measure range.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i wear glasses and take them off to spar, box or wrestle. my vision isn't too terrible, but remember that you only need to see 5 or 6 feet, and even that doesn't require fine detail.

also, the lasek surgeries are getting cheaper, easier and safer by the minute.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The folks in my school that wear glasses just take them off to spar. One woman chose to get a pair of sports glasses made that look like small goggles...she wears the "goggles" when she is sparring, but I've seen her wearing both styles in class.

I haven't decided what I will do for sparring, I wear the older gas-permeable hard contacts...which do pop out easier than the newer soft and extended wear lenses.

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For the longest time I trained without my glasses. I figured if there was a situation, I wouldn't want to be limited by my glasses being on or off. Now that I have contacts, love them. Did have one pop out once but no more issues then wearing glasses.

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I switched back to wearing contacts because of training. My glasses would slide of my face when my head would start to sweat. I haven't had any issues with contacts.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I love contacts and always wear them when I go train at the dojo. I do practice with partners at home with my glasses on sometimes.

- Ceicei

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love my contacts and am darn near blind without them.

I wore glasses when I was a kid and they'd get pretty mangled during sparring. My soft contacts feel great and are so easy to use. I had hard contacts 20yrs ago and they were a pain, especially when they'd shift around the eye.

Miles

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i love my contacts too, the 30 day kind that you leave in are no problem... but depending on how well you can see iv heard of some people just taking off there glasses and sparring with out

OP
R

Ric Flair

Green Belt
Reaction score
I also heard there are "goggles" you can wear during a match. Anyone know anything about these??? PRescriptions too right?

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
yeah iv seen them before, but iv never actuly used them

JamesYazell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I used to wear glasses and would have to take them off to spar. I could hardley see and it was like fighting a blur. Now I have soft contacts that I leave in all the time and it is great! Its like beign able to see normally. I wake up in the morning and can read my alarm clock. i would say go get some soft contacts!!!

James Clifton

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've worn contacts for 40yrs.Love them.WARNING!!!......DO NOT WEAR THEM 24HRS EVEN IF THEY ARE WEAR ALL THE TIME THOWAWAYS!Why not....cause your eyes will not get enough oxygen.You will be prone to ulcers.Had a Super.that wore his ALL the time(I did too until my DR.warned me)he got a really bad ulcerated eye.He said he couldn't figure out why??I told him what my Dr. said,his said that couldn't be the case.He got the ulcer I never did......remember the TV comercial,the person wakes up & see's the rose & it's due to wearing his soft extended wear contacts.Wonder why you don't see it anymore.......eye problems....from extended wear.....I'll take my Dr.'s advice.
Jim Clifton

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ric Flair said:
Hey guys, i was at a boxing club the other day and the head coach/instructor noticed i wear glasses. He told me if I ever to sparring or having matches,

I WOULD HAVE TO WEAR CONTACTS!!!! Is this true?

ANyone on here wear contacts? IT seems pretty annoying to put it in your eyes every single day lol.
it's going to be torture for the first couple of days or the first week maximum. after that it will be like nothing.
sometimes they get dry in practice, and that sucks! other than that go for em.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I teach, and train on non-kumite days, I'll use my glasses.

When I get involved with free sparring, or if I know I'm going to be in for a drenching workout, I'll use my soft contact lenses. If I get hit in the eye, the lens could tear, but it's a simple matter of plucking the lens from the eye.

I used to use a pair of hard plastic goggles and polycarbonate lenses. Very tough, and could withstand quite the impact. Sounds great, but unfortunately, if you got hit in the head, that would focus a lot of power on a small surface area. Even though the nosepad was made of softer silicone rubber, it was still a concentrated hit, and it would really, really hurt.

If you can fight without corrective lenses of any kind, then I would suggest doing that. Otherwise, use soft contact lenses. If you speak with your eye doctor, there are all sorts of 1 day lenses that you could use just for this purpose. Something like Focus Dailies, or Accuvue dailies. Just use them for a day, and throw them away.

Latest Discussions