Confessions of a security guy

OP
G

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well now that somewhat 'intellectually dishonest' isn't it, I said explained quite plainly without any assumption that it was the same in any country how we did things in the UK yet you had a hissy fit at me, tut tut dear boy.

I think you might want to think about how you come across at times. After all the insults and false statements it's not always easy to tell when you're attempting to bring forth useful information.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you might want to think about how you come across at times. After all the insults and false statements it's not always easy to tell when you're attempting to bring forth useful information.

I do think about it but whether that bothers me or not is something else, I post up here and I expect people put their opinions, they may like what I said, they may not, some ignore me some argue but that is their prerogative, I don't scream 'strawman' and 'intellectual dishonesty' at them. If I minded other people's comments I wouldn't post.
I have made no false statements, it's what you don't seem to understand. If I said you were an Australian snake wrangler, that would be a false statement, if I say I think your comments are racist that is not a false statement because I honestly believe you have and do make racist statements. You will think that your statements aren't racist, that I'm mistaken but it doesn't make my comments false as they are honestly held opinions. I haven't insulted you either, those are in your head not mine, if I said you were a cockwombling wankspangle that's an insult, at no time have I said that or anything close, trust me you'd know if I were to throw insults at you.
I think you have trouble with the nuances in English ( understandable if you do not speak English as a first language or come from a place where English has much different intonations and nuances) and also do not like having replies to your posts.

OP
G

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I do think about it but whether that bothers me or not is something else, I post up here and I expect people put their opinions, they may like what I said, they may not, some ignore me some argue but that is their prerogative,

You went past opinion when you took all those things I'd written out of context and claimed I was doing things I wasn't.

I have made no false statements,

Yes you have, and I don't expect you to be honest about it.

if I say I think your comments are racist that is not a false statement because I honestly believe you have and do make racist statements. You will think that your statements aren't racist, that I'm, mistaken but it doesn't make my comments false as they are honestly held opinions.

The only way for them to be honestly held opinions would be for you to have ignored all of the things I wrote that, for any sensible person reading them, would go against the idea of me being racist. As such, they are not honest, but arisen from a confirmative bias.

I think you have trouble with the nuances in English ( understandable if you do not speak English as a first language or come from a place where English has much different intonations and nuances) and also do not like having replies to your posts.

Aaaaand, both of those are false suppositions. Again.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You went past opinion when you took all those things I'd written out of context and claimed I was doing things I wasn't.

I don't think you can judge how far my opinion of you goes, for example it's getting lower as time goes on.

Yes you have, and I don't expect you to be honest about it

Are you aware of British pantomime? I ask because the only answer to this is 'oh no I haven't.'
You then shout 'oh yes you have' and this goes on for a while until the Dame ( who is played by a man) comes on followed by the Principle boy ( who's played by a girl) Enjoyable nonsense.

The only way for them to be honestly held opinions would be for you to have ignored all of the things I wrote that, for any sensible person reading them, would go against the idea of me being racist. As such, they are not honest, but arisen from a confirmative bias.

Oh my days, so the only way to have an honest opinion on something is to ignore it. Oh and for what it's worth I said the things you wrote were racist in my opinion, I didn't actually call you a racist. 'confirmative bias', rofl.

Son, you prove it every time you post. It's not an insult it's just what it is. If I posted in French you'd see a fine mess of misunderstanding.

OP
G

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't think you can judge how far my opinion of you goes, for example it's getting lower as time goes on.

Same here in regards to yourself.

Are you aware of British pantomime? I ask because the only answer to this is 'oh no I haven't.'
You then shout 'oh yes you have' and this goes on for a while until the Dame ( who is played by a man) comes on followed by the Principle boy ( who's played by a girl) Enjoyable nonsense.

This is what's referred to as a "red herring".

Oh my days, so the only way to have an honest opinion on something is to ignore it.

No, but the opinion you have is not honest, because it's obviously based on a number of false assumptions, which themselves are due to you having ignored the things I've written that are incompatible with the point you're trying to make.

Oh and for what it's worth I said the things you wrote were racist in my opinion, I didn't actually call you a racist. 'confirmative bias', rofl.

You stated that I was spouting racist rubbish. Not as in you "thought" but as a statement of fact. That is a false statement.

I was raised to consider everyone regardless of skin color to be my equal, and so far, that's what I'm sticking to. However, stating that some nationalities are over-represented in terms of property crimes in certain areas is not hate speech, but a statement of fact. Now, RACISM would be for me to state that these people do it because it's inherent in their blood (which is what a fair amount of store personnel tend to do, hence one out of many reasons I find it perfectly reasonable to call them eccentric), as opposed to due to a variety of material circumstances. But I don't believe that. Nor do I believe that women, roma, jews, black people, latinos, transgendered, gays, lesbians, muslims or kurds are in any way some kind of infallible sacred cows. I believe that all these categories of human beings have had their part to play in creating the world which we now inhabit.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here in regards to yourself.

No, but the opinion you have is not honest, because it's obviously based on a number of false assumptions, which themselves are due to you having ignored the things I've written that are incompatible with the point you're trying to make.

You stated that I was spouting racist rubbish. Not as in you "thought" but as a statement of fact. That is a false statement.

I was raised to consider everyone regardless of skin color to be my equal, and so far, that's what I'm sticking to. However, stating that some nationalities are over-represented in terms of property crimes in certain areas is not hate speech, but a statement of fact. Now, RACISM would be for me to state that these people do it because it's inherent in their blood (which is what a fair amount of store personnel tend to do, hence one out of many reasons I find it perfectly reasonable to call them eccentric), as opposed to due to a variety of material circumstances. But I don't believe that. Nor do I believe that women, roma, jews, black people, latinos, transgendered, gays, lesbians, muslims or kurds are in any way some kind of infallible sacred cows. I believe that all these categories of human beings have had their part to play in creating the world which we now inhabit.

So you are not racist, but would find it acceptable to use "ethnic slang" as it were?

OP
G

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So you are not racist, but would find it acceptable to use "ethnic slang" as it were?

Anyone who had the sassy and hilarious black woman I had as my first teacher at uni would tell you that context is everything. If the intention isn't there, then words have no power.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No it's not, it's a non sequitur.

So I'm lying? Interesting, I can assure you my opinion is an honest one, it might be a mistaken one or a misguided one or as you suggest based on false assumptions but I can assure you it is an honest one. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it dishonest. I have noted your opinion of me, I accept it as honest but mistaken, I don't think you are correct but I wouldn't call you a liar.

(which is what a fair amount of store personnel tend to do, hence one out of many reasons I find it perfectly reasonable to call them eccentric

No that's not eccentricity it's racism. Eccentricity is something different, many people are.
eccentricity Meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

OP
G

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No it's not, it's a non sequitur.

No, it's a red herring.

So I'm lying?

Yeah, I'd say that. You don't come across as particularly stupid, hence you're still willfully ignoring all the things I've written that wouldn't support the allegation of me being a racist.

No that's not eccentricity it's racism. Eccentricity is something different, many people are.
eccentricity Meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

You're right insofar as that all eccentrics are not racists, however I do consider racists eccentric.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the intention isn't there, then words have no power.

Oh, you are so very wrong.

You are also very wrong about a lot of other things but I really don't have the inclination to point out why you are so wrong.

OP
G

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh, you are so very wrong.

You are also very wrong about a lot of other things but I really don't have the inclination to point out why you are so wrong.

I also believe that postmodernism is pure evil and sometimes hope that hell exists, for the simple reason that people like Foucault and Derrida deserve more than just a slow painful death.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting that you think people you don't agree with should have more than a long slow death, most people tend to just argue with philosophers and their ilk ( or ignore them) if they disagree.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone who had the sassy and hilarious black woman I had as my first teacher at uni would tell you that context is everything. If the intention isn't there, then words have no power.

Rubbish. Words always have power, whether they are empty or not. Someone always listens. Why we have a bunch of fanatics around trying to destroy it.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Please review our sniping policy http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=427486. Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.

-Brian R. VanCise
-MartialTalk Moderator-

Latest Discussions