Con-Artist Martial Artists

OP
jkdgenius

jkdgenius

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So you've been studying stuff including JKD for 15 years.

What if it turns out that you aren't actually a genius but are in fact incredibly mediocre - should we consider your username as fraudulent? :p

Lol well i know I'm far from a genius, the names supposed to be satirical but looks like I've failed there like the Jokers I was trying to get other members own stories and thought on

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol well i know I'm far from a genius, the names supposed to be satirical but looks like I've failed there like the Jokers I was trying to get other members own stories and thought on
I'm pretty sure most folks on MT will read it with the satirical intent intact. We're fairly satirical - sometimes intentionally.

OP
jkdgenius

jkdgenius

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Honestly I don't like it when people tell other people to remove their kids from classes. It's not your business to do this in my opinion
Then maybe you haven't seen the rubbish I have?? I'm not the sort of person that can just stand around watching some joke of a karate instructor (just an example, no need for Chuck Norris to find me and hurt me ) dish out belts like they are candy and then tell the parents how great their kids are doing! Sorry but those kids might actually want to be a champion some day and this guy isn't gonna help!

OP
jkdgenius

jkdgenius

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just a heads up that fraudbusting is explicitly against the rules of MartialTalk. Talking in generalities or making anonymous references is probably okay, but "name-and-shame" is a no-go on this forum.
Yep I wasn't trying to be specific or name names or even be obvious, I wouldn't do that. But I was trying to see if anyone else had either funny or unfortunate experiences like the one I had with my first introduction into martial arts. It's all got a bit more serious than I was aiming for

OP
jkdgenius

jkdgenius

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The term "con artist" should be held for those who knowingly lie to mislead people into believing something (good or service purchased) is something they know it is not. Crappy instructors don't meet that definition unless they know they are crap.
I believe you have summed it up better than I tried to, thank you

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Con-Artist Martial Artists

Here are few "true" examples.

1. A student wants to learn meditation. A teacher draws a dot on the wall and asks that student to stares at that dot on that wall 1 hour daily for the next 3 months.
2. A teacher teaches a student a spear form. In the middle of the form, the teacher stops teaching because there is a flip in the middle of that form that the teacher can't do it.
3. A guy on the phone said that he had trained in Shaolin temple in China for many years with black belt in 4 different styles. The truth was he was a 17 years old American boy. That was back in 1974 and China was not even open for foreigner yet.

Last edited:
OP
jkdgenius

jkdgenius

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think I understand what you are asking for but there are too many perspectives of a situation to get legitimate story. For example, a dojo opened up down the street from mine with an instructor who gave himself a Black Belt. He was a Green Belt in his art but wanted to open his own dojo. I could call him a fraud, but he ended up becoming a very legitimate martial artist, including a multi-time tournament champion and successful dojo owner. His students love him. I also know some very good martial artists, with solid lineage, who are terrible teachers. They are not teaching bad stuff, they are just bad teachers. There are also some really bad martial artists out there who have good lineage, but that doesn't mean that they are frauds. They are just bad martial artists. This also brings in the debate of what is considered crap. I may not agree with the philosophies of certain art, but that doesn't mean that it is crap. Because there isn't one governing body for the martial arts, legitimacy of rank is really subjective and I don't really focus on lineage or rank anyway. Most long-term martial artists can tell if someone knows his/her stuff after a few minutes of observation or through discussion. I think you'll find that most of the marital artists on this forum stay away from bashing and focus more on sharing viewpoints based on their individual martial arts experiences. That's why I enjoy this forum more than other MA forums.
I would certainly agree with you on everything you said there, but it doesn't take away the frustration and ultimate disappointment that instructors can cause! Regardless of whether it is fair or not fair to lable someone as a joker because that's only your opinion. It really annoys me I guess.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then maybe you haven't seen the rubbish I have?? I'm not the sort of person that can just stand around watching some joke of a karate instructor (just an example, no need for Chuck Norris to find me and hurt me ) dish out belts like they are candy and then tell the parents how great their kids are doing! Sorry but those kids might actually want to be a champion some day and this guy isn't gonna help!
Easy way to deal with that... Don't stand and watch get on with your own life let people do what they want again it's not your business to tell parents what to do with their own kids and anyway just because /you/ think someone's bad that doesn't mean it's true

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would certainly agree with you on everything you said there, but it doesn't take away the frustration and ultimate disappointment that instructors can cause! Regardless of whether it is fair or not fair to lable someone as a joker because that's only your opinion. It really annoys me I guess.

I think what annoys me most is when I am having a martial arts conversation with someone who obviously doesn't know much on the subject. I refer to it as Blue Belt syndrome. A person knows enough to think they know all. I'm sure I was guilty of it too. WIth your years in JKD you can probably see right through someone who doesn't have that much experience but talks up like they do.

OP
jkdgenius

jkdgenius

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Easy way to deal with that... Don't stand and watch get on with your own life let people do what they want again it's not your business to tell parents what to do with their own kids and anyway just because /you/ think someone's bad that doesn't mean it's true
I'm sorry but I just don't agree. Would you stand around and watch an elderly man or woman buy knock off double glazing at 3 X the price when there is a perfectly good store within zimmer frame distance offering superior quality for normal price?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I just don't agree. Would you stand around and watch an elderly man or woman buy knock off double glazing at 3 X the price when there is a perfectly good store within zimmer frame distance offering superior quality for normal price?
You're not getting the point...the point is In your opinion this instructors so bad but that doesn't mean it's true at all you could be wrong maybe in Other people's opinion you're rubbish and a fraud it's all subjective. Plus if the kids are happy and the parents are happy who cares its not your business to put down their club just get on with your own life and stop bothering other people about what they do

OP
jkdgenius

jkdgenius

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think what annoys me most is when I am having a martial arts conversation with someone who obviously doesn't know much on the subject. I refer to it as Blue Belt syndrome. A person knows enough to think they know all. I'm sure I was guilty of it too. WIth your years in JKD you can probably see right through someone who doesn't have that much experience but talks up like they do.
Plenty and you know due to my bad experiences I guess I'm maybe more burnt than others, which is why it gets to me. But at the same time if it smells like and looks like then it's probably haha

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We're a tough crowd, pun intended.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure most folks on MT will read it with the satirical intent intact. We're fairly satirical - sometimes intentionally.
Drop Bear wears a tie dyed gi. Oh, you wrote satirical... I thought you meant sartorial.

OP
jkdgenius

jkdgenius

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You're not getting the point...the point is In your opinion this instructors so bad but that doesn't mean it's true at all you could be wrong maybe in Other people's opinion you're rubbish and a fraud it's all subjective. Plus if the kids are happy and the parents are happy who cares its not your business to put down their club just get on with your own life and stop bothering other people about what they do
Look don't get me wrong, I'm no caped crusader flying around the uk foiling the plans of crap instructors and clubs. In my original comment I said (or at least think I did) that they were friends kids. Not just people's kids I don't know about. But that did if I took my lad somewhere and it was turd 8d probably walk out of there loudly voicing my opinion just my distaste for all those bad pastpast experiences

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Agreed. My daughter is on the lamest track team ever right now, but she's having a good time and it's better than playing Mario kart on her Nintendo Switch.

OP
jkdgenius

jkdgenius

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Agreed. My daughter is on the lamest track team ever right now, but she's having a good time and it's better than playing Mario kart on her Nintendo Switch.
Ok, I can't disagree with that

Latest Discussions