Complimentarity

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a question for those of you who have trained in JKD as well as other arts besides JKD.

What art was it? Which did you train first? Did you find they complimented each other, or were they too different? Did you have a preference? Did you stick with both, or choose one and follow that particular path. Why?

For myself, JKD was my original art, and I found it to be just what I was looking for. I trained under a qualified instructor for just over a year, then was unable to for a couple of years, and just continued working on my basics.

Then I began training in Modern Arnis, and I have found that the two arts complement each other beautifully. The JKD instilled the directness, freedom, importance of being 'sticky', and values of trapping in me. The Modern Arnis is showing me how to flow, and translate emptyhand skills into blunt and edged weapons, and vise versa. I find that you can switch from flow to direct, and vise versa quite easily, and it has rounded out my movement.

I'm sticking with both because my instructor is certified in both, and both are covered in my training.

Your stories and thoughts?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
flatlander said:
I have a question for those of you who have trained in JKD as well as other arts besides JKD.

What art was it? Which did you train first? Did you find they complimented each other, or were they too different? Did you have a preference? Did you stick with both, or choose one and follow that particular path. Why?

For myself, JKD was my original art, and I found it to be just what I was looking for. I trained under a qualified instructor for just over a year, then was unable to for a couple of years, and just continued working on my basics.

Then I began training in Modern Arnis, and I have found that the two arts complement each other beautifully. The JKD instilled the directness, freedom, importance of being 'sticky', and values of trapping in me. The Modern Arnis is showing me how to flow, and translate emptyhand skills into blunt and edged weapons, and vise versa. I find that you can switch from flow to direct, and vise versa quite easily, and it has rounded out my movement.

I'm sticking with both because my instructor is certified in both, and both are covered in my training.

Your stories and thoughts?

Well, seeing as how this post has gone unanswered for a while now, I thought I'd post something. While I dont train in JKD, I do have a few guys that I train under that have a strong background in JKD. I noticed though, that you mentioned Modern Arnis. I've been doing that now for 6+ yrs. and feel that it blends great with the other arts that I also study.

The one thing that I like most about it, is that fact that it blends so well with just about every art out there, as well as being able to stand alone as an art. My base art is Kenpo. I find that the Arnis training actually helps to make it better. It gives me a much better understanding of locks and controlling moves, as well as weapons. The FMA are the best arts to study if you really want to understand weapons. You were also correct in saying that the moves easily translate from empty hand to weapon and weapon to empty hand.

The 2 arts that you mentioned do blend well together and its great that you're finding an easy time with it.

Mike

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for responding, Mike. I felt like I was talking to a wall here. "Things move pretty slow in here eh?" Flatlander yells. Echo.....echo..........echo....

Perhaps then what I'm finding is the blendability of Arnis, rather than the JKD. Tough to say, as there's only been the two arts for me.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Thanks for responding, Mike. I felt like I was talking to a wall here. "Things move pretty slow in here eh?" Flatlander yells. Echo.....echo..........echo....

You're welcome..welcome..welcome!!!! :boing2:

Perhaps then what I'm finding is the blendability of Arnis, rather than the JKD. Tough to say, as there's only been the two arts for me.

Well, one thing that you may be finding that blends so well, is the sensitivity drills, flowing, etc. Personally, I think that they are 2 awesome arts!!

Mike

G

Gary Crawford

Sorry Flatlander,I guess I was a sleep at the wheel!I originaly trained in Tracy's Kenpo,JKD interfaces very well.Not that there was anything missing in kenpo,jkd just makes more sense to me,more direct,besides I like the Wing chung aspects to it.Yes I like sticks,knives,grappling and anything else I can add to the arsenal.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I train in JKD, Kali, and sometimes silat. Occassionally (in the past) CSW. They all have seemed to compliment each other very well. I have trained the most in JKD, possibly in part because it was the hardest one for me (punch someone?!? I'd rather crack them across the hand with a stick, and then bash them in the head, thanks!), and now I see its effects on my training in general. It's all gone well together, but I think that's because my instructors all train in these (and other) arts, and are extremely well-versed in different arts.

My instructors rock. :ubercool:

Latest Discussions