Professor Gary Dill?

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To anyone that can shed some light:

What can anyone tell me and this forum (good or bad) about Professor Gary Dill and his organization? I was a member of his organization for a short while. I've heard only "stuff" about him and am wondering from anyone that is currently or formerly a member of his organization. Please respond.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
gmunoz said:
To anyone that can shed some light:

What can anyone tell me and this forum (good or bad) about Professor Gary Dill and his organization? I was a member of his organization for a short while. I've heard only "stuff" about him and am wondering from anyone that is currently or formerly a member of his organization. Please respond.

Who do you train with? Your own school?

OP
G

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I currently train in To-Shin Do. An-Shu Stephen K. Hayes is my sensei.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
gmunoz said:
I currently train in To-Shin Do. An-Shu Stephen K. Hayes is my sensei.

And your interested in JKD. You know JKD is very differant depending on who you train with. I go to Fresno evry now and then. Maybe we do something part time.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of my training partners was formerly part of Dill's organization. He had some bad experiences. I also have had the chance to review some of his videos. I was not terribly impressed.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
dearnis.com said:
One of my training partners was formerly part of Dill's organization. He had some bad experiences. I also have had the chance to review some of his videos. I was not terribly impressed.

In the mid '90's I signed up with Dill but right after that I met Felix Macias and he trained me. The Maciases don't certify and I ended up getting certified by someone under Dill based on what Felix taught me.

But while I trained with Felix I realized that Dills tapes were basic compared to what I was learning.

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Gary Dill.
Nice guy,
My experience with him at a Dallas seminar was very good.
He was a nice guy.
Skills,
His skills were so poor I had to keep myself from leaving the seminar at the first break.
This is all I experienced with Gary Dill.
There are a lot of nice guys teaching in the Dallas area...

ralph severe, kamiyama

OP
G

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
akja said:
And your interested in JKD. You know JKD is very differant depending on who you train with. I go to Fresno evry now and then. Maybe we do something part time.
No. Although I do find JKD very interesting, I am not interested in learning anymore of that style. I was previously a member of Mr. Dill's organization. Seemed he painted a pretty picture, yet as I got going I became un-impressed with his presentation/curricula. I began hearing not too pleasing comments about him. I stopped training in JKD. I now train in To-Shin Do. I find some aspects of JKD similar to To-Shin Do, but I'm still gettin' going.

If ever in Fresno give me a call. Would love to meet you in person.

D

Disco

Thought this may be of interest...http://www.aiki-jitsu.net/page9.html

Only one question comes to mind. If the claim to fame is that JKD is the background art and studies were either with Bruce Lee or one of his inner circle 1st student/instructors, why the need for all these other trappings? :idunno:

From r.severe:....His skills were so poor I had to keep myself from leaving the seminar at the first break.

Do you think it was because of his age or in your opinion, just a lack of skill period?

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
From r.severe:....His skills were so poor I had to keep myself from leaving the seminar at the first break.

Do you think it was because of his age or in your opinion, just a lack of skill period?

I started research into JKD in 1976.
The JKD Gary Dill was doing has nothing to do with what I found over the years between 1976 to 1996(?) when I went to the seminar to train with him in Denton Texas.

ralph severe, kamiyama

OP
G

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I understand he teaches several other styles as well as JKD. Was the seminar advertised as JKD seminar?

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
r.severe said:

I started research into JKD in 1976.
The JKD Gary Dill was doing has nothing to do with what I found over the years between 1976 to 1996(?) when I went to the seminar to train with him in Denton Texas.

ralph severe, kamiyama

Ralph

Who hosted the seminar? Was it Hock? Just curious I might have been at the same one if it was one of Hock's Wintercamps where he combined the arnis and the JKD programs.

gmunoz
FWIW I just posted on the other thread about a test that I was at, that Sifu Dill helped conduct back in the mid 90's for some more insight into the man.

Mark

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Who hosted the seminar? Was it Hock? Just curious I might have been at the same one if it was one of Hock's Wintercamps where he combined the arnis and the JKD programs.

OK... I am not sure who hosted it.
It was at a high school gym.
Hock was there but didn't train.
Gary Dill had students here in the Dallas area once.. not sure if he still does.

ralph severe, kamiyama

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nope

Doesn't sound familar so I wasn't there. Hock use to hold his Wintercamps at a Golds gym and then he held it a Hotel in denton as well one year (maybe 2 years), but I don't remember ever going to a highschool gym.

Mark

OP
G

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Boar Man said:
gmunoz
FWIW I just posted on the other thread about a test that I was at, that Sifu Dill helped conduct back in the mid 90's for some more insight into the man.
Mark
Mark,

Sorry. I didn't notice what other thread you're talking about. Can you give me that again?

G

Gary Crawford

r.severe said:

OK... I am not sure who hosted it.
It was at a high school gym.
Hock was there but didn't train.
Gary Dill had students here in the Dallas area once.. not sure if he still does.

ralph severe, kamiyama
Sifu Mitch Maynard teaches in Dallas

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gary Crawford said:
Sifu Mitch Maynard teaches in Dallas

I saw Mitch teaching at a gym in Hurst/Mid cities area last year. I always thought he taught more on the Ft. Worth side of the metroplex.

Latest Discussions