Competition at the Olympics

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What will be the toughest country for us and why. Which one of our athletes will bring home a medal? Is Steven Lopez still the best at his age? I ask because we had a converstation about this and I am hoping the best for all of them, I also believe we are behind with Charotte, Diana and Mark, Steven age could become a factor since he rarely have to fight alot to get somewhere. I am wondering about conditioning with him as well. Maybe I am being a bit paranoid about this Olympic team. I just do not see them as our best, but I will support them as best as I can.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I tend to root for the Koreans because they are amazing to watch. That and the fact that they are not motivated by money or fame.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I still think Steven is the best and is the favorite in his division.

As far a countries go, obviously Korea. I hear that Iran has a pretty good team as far as the men go. For the women, China is strong as is Thailand

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I tend to root for the Koreans because they are amazing to watch. That and the fact that they are not motivated by money or fame.

The first part I can agree with, the second....Seriously? Koreans aren't motivated by money or fame? No new students for the Olympic gold medalists' school then? No free stuff, no endorsements? Seems like a guess on your part and not a fact based statement. I mean, Moon Dae-Sung is in this months BB magazine hawking Adidas doboks ;) "The Dobok of Champions" no less.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You like to think they're not motivated by money or fame anyway. However, there's a difference between appearing in an ad, and using the fact you won the gold medal in the Olympics to become a professional shill (Mary Lou Retton anyone?).
I do stand by my statement though. For the most part, Koreans and fighters from other countries appear not to use their Olympic success to become rich and famous. It may be given to them in their native lands, but they seem not to actively seek it out.
Fortunately, that does not seem to be a problem with the American TKD fighters since few people know or will know who they are.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What, you mean like this:

Last edited by a moderator:

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
BARF

look at that video again.

jean Lopez's flying side kick? his foot position is 100% WRONG

Then she does a spear hand thrust, and her thumb is just hanging out there......

friggin olympic style craptastic grumble grumble grumble grumble

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
BARF

look at that video again.

jean Lopez's flying side kick? his foot position is 100% WRONG

Then she does a spear hand thrust, and her thumb is just hanging out there......

friggin olympic style craptastic grumble grumble grumble grumble

I know, I kmow...In my opinion, There form isn't pretty. flopy foot positions, etc. They are fast though. Did I mention, chambers? oh well.

I tend to like hard core traditional TKD, Stances. Trying to attain perfection through the whole range of motion, including the ending position. I am sorry...I am a forms person. Wait, I am not sorry, I love forms.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nothing will kill your technque faster than Olympic style Taekwondo. Great for speed and making points. Developing overall technique? Not so much.

Latest Discussions