• Start date
OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by cali_tkdbruin
Well that's just great, just great!?! :( :wah:

Now who can the heck can the M.O.B. and me gang up on now??? :mad:

;) :D

Naw.......I think hes back now....or if it aint him its his identical twin brother :shrug:

Remembers The Carbon Era

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Originally posted by Despairbear
Compassion can be many things to different people. Compassion can be doing as little harm as nessisary to bring the given situation to an end. Compassion is when you restrain the drunk with a joint lock rather than breaking his knee joint. Compassion can be letting that finacialy strapped student wash windows and mop floors in the dojo in lew of normal fees. I think compassion can also be uding your traing to defend some one who is in trouble and can not defend themselves. Mabey it is just me but I think that compassion is not just a possible a part of MA training but a necessary part of all MA training.

I very much agree.
I also think that in this day and age, because we train in forms of combat, we have an obligation to show compassion to an opponent whenever it is is safe to do so. I'm sure this sounds hackneyed, but if you kill an attacker after you've disabled them, even if they meant to seriously harm you, are you any better then they are?

OP
W

Wmarden

In answer to your question it depends. In combat a person may get carried away. Not to say this makes them better or worse than those they are defending against. It is just a human thing. The best example I can think of is ralphie beating up the bully in "A Christmas Story". He just goes ape---- crazy.

It is also a reminder of why warriors must exercise compassion and self control. Because warriors are best equipped to deal out violence. I am paraphrasing Morrgan, from his book the martial way.

OP
C

chufeng

Ralphie had been terrorized by "the bully" for some time...and he wasn't trained in martial arts...not the best analogy.

I agree with your comment on self-control...If the hand goes out withold anger, if anger goes out withold the hand.

:asian:
chufeng

OP
E

esa

Compassion is an important factor in being a part of the brotherhood of martial artists. I guess we could look at another angle of compassion. Not for the enemy, although this is an important issue, but it seems to have been covered in depth. The angle I was thinking of was for the world in general. A martial artist should have compassion for his/her brothers of the world and fight for goodness. A martial artist should fight the evils of the world to make it better. Maybe this angle could be explored.... Peace on Earth.... Mother Earth.... Third stone from the sun....