Come see me get wopped upside my punkin' haid!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, things didn't work out exactly as I had hoped.
icon12.gif

41 seconds of ignominious fail.

However, I'm not too proud to share my humiliation. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You did fine. You ran into someone more familiar with the game than you, and you were tentative about acting when you decided to act. Typical "rookie" tournament stuff...

What'd your instructors or coaches have to say?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You did fine. You ran into someone more familiar with the game than you, and you were tentative about acting when you decided to act. Typical "rookie" tournament stuff...

What'd your instructors or coaches have to say?

Thanks for the kind words. I went on my own; this was not a dojo event. However, I was gratified to find that several of my dojomates showed up on their own time to watch me compete and to cheer me on. My wife took the video; one of my dojo mates, a young black belt who also competed (and did better than I did) looked at the video and said the same thing you just did. He said I kept my hands up, stayed in his face, made a couple of mistakes in footwork (which my opponent didn't capitalize on, which only shows he's not all that either, just better than me), and if I had been a fraction faster on the punches, I'd have had the points myself. I felt the same; I often hit my opponent, but a fraction of a second after he landed a punch or a kick.

In the way of making me feel better about myself, the guy I sparred was the first of the match for our age group (san-kyu or higher, non blackbelt, age 45+); he won all his fights and took first place. So he didn't just beat me, he beat everyone else too. My luck to get him right out of the gate.

I will do this again until I can win.

I'll be showing the video to my sensei and asking his advice as well. Thanks for your insight!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't really know what the rules are or anything like that, but you didn't look outclassed. You're pretty spry for a 45+ non blackbelt. :)

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't really know what the rules are or anything like that, but you didn't look outclassed. You're pretty spry for a 45+ non blackbelt. :)

Thanks! I'll be 50 in July, actually.

The rules are kind of weird. I'm starting to 'get it'. It's like 'tag'. That is, you score a point with any touch to a permitted area like torso or head. Any kind of touch. Doesn't have to be good karate. The guy I was sparring was freaking me out; he kept 'touching' me with the lightest possible probing kick to the midsection; I hardly felt it. But that's a point. The only time the match got rough was when I landed a solid punch to his midsection a split-second after he put a foot on me and got the point. He responded by punching me square in the face, splitting my lip. Technically, that's a disqualification for him; but the judge didn't see it, and I wasn't going to dispute it. He beat me fair and square. Next time, I'll beat him.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If I can keep my back in good shape and train for it, I'd love to go compete in the Pan Ams down in California. It's an international event and I could compete at my belt level (purple) and also at my age level. Currently, when I compete, I typically roll with kids half my age because the local tournaments don't have enough competitors to split out by age.

72ronin

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey, congratulations.
Win/lose, it matters not. Participating = win mate

:high5:

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, you kept your head up and your guard (for the most part). Just keep it up, keep competing and you will learn the proverbal "tricks of the trade". I agree with others that stances where an issue...but then again I look at the whole thing [point sparring] and realize how much it marginalizes good technique and effort. A lot of my students will not point spar because they are so limited on technique and strike zones!

Just my humble yet still ignorant .02 cents,

Chris

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some clips from last year's event. I have been looking them over, trying to get a feel for what to expect. I can't say I'm seeing great karate here, but that's not to say I can do any better!

Some kids and adults sparring:

Escrima weapons kata?

Young adult black belts (lots of head kicking)

Interviews, flashy weapons and open-handed katas (with backflips!)

These guys fight on one leg. I can't believe this can't be defended against more easily.

Seriously, 'Master' ??? I can see how the looping backfist over the top of the head gets two points, but in real fighting, that does nothing but get you clocked. Or am I wrong about that?

Well, there's a lot more like this, mostly younger guys. I don't know how the guys my age look, so that's a drawback. But I have been getting some advice from my instructors. I understand that they like to come at you as soon as the hajime is given, but they tend to come straight on; so circle and change the fightline. Same if the front leg comes up; once that leg is in the air, they're not going to be able to turn, they can only hop and kick until they put it down again. I've got to try to play to my strengths; I'm not fast, but I can see a kick coming and I naturally tend to get inside and try to jam it.

I'm told that in some open-style tournaments, the traditional karate guys tend not to do so well because a lot of the judges are tkd and tend to look for head shots and kicks; they don't do much punching in their MA, and so they sometimes don't 'see' punches that land to the body which would otherwise be a point.

I'm also told that our dojo has traditionally had a lot of disqualifications from open tournaments because we train sparring with rather solid hits; these are not allowed in this kind of match. So we tend to punch and kick hard enough to plant people on their keisters and get DQ'd even though it was a nice clean hit and good karate. I'm not claiming to be able to do this, but this is what I'm hearing from others in my dojo.

Open to thoughts, opinions, etc!

"I understand that they like to come at you as soon as the hajime is given, but they tend to come straight on; so circle and change the fightline. Same if the front leg comes up;"

This was part of your game plan, which showed in the clip. Your instructors gave you good advice. It also was a very strong back fist I saw you throw early on in the clip. Good thing he blocked it. :) All in all, good job, Bill.
icon14.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoshin9

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I watched some of the videos and it all seems to be a game of tag, as others pointed out the strikes lack power and proper positioning.

What? No shots to the leg? Is this boxing? lol.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I watched some of the videos and it all seems to be a game of tag, as others pointed out the strikes lack power and proper positioning.

What? No shots to the leg? Is this boxing? lol.

That is correct. No points for leg shots, groin is out of bounds, no shots to the back. Face is not allowed in underbelts (but I still got pasted in the mouth, no call by the ref). I posted an image above, I think, showing the legal areas for contact.

What I did not realize; should have, but didn't; was that 'touch' is really all that is required for a point. And many get that and take advantage of it - it's tag. Reach out and touch, that's a point. My counterstrikes were slow; the guy had already scored on me. I was looking for sparring; a fight. I was trying to pick my moment for an effective blow. No, that's the wrong idea with this kind of competition. Touch 'em first. That's the whole thing.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The rules vary with the event and the refs... If I were judging, I wouldn't have called a few of his shots points. He had no power and couldn't have generated power with them if he carried a diesel generator and a HUMVEE.

Many years back, I competed in a tournament, and the guy I was fighting scored with some flippy-dippy leap in "punch-like motion" with no protection or safety... or power. He get's the point, and I decide he ain't going to get another like that. He leaps again, I step in and punch, knocking him out of the air. He still got the point 'cause his flippy crap got there first...

When I (rarely) do a point event like this, I consider it a "win" if I do the techniques I'm practicing under the pressure. I don't care if the judge gives me the point or not... I just want to work my lesson under the different sort of pressure.