Combining Taiji and Yiquan Principles. Sam Tam

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I used to like Yiquan. Then I learned that they cannot fight anymore. I was sad.

I believed that it too has succumbed to an excess of theory of t3h iNtErNaLZ while losing the profound study of violence and hurt in the same way how it has happened in most of the IMA scene.

Train Yiquan with Yao in Beijing, they still spar as far as I know

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If I have grip on you, your balance will become my balance, also I can drag you down with me.

Tried grabbing onto a taiji master's wrist/forearm during a seminar, once I gripped him my balance became his, he could move me around and I couldn't even let go if I wanted to.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tried grabbing onto a taiji master's wrist/forearm during a seminar, once I gripped him my balance became his, he could move me around and I couldn't even let go if I wanted to.
- You grab your opponent.
- He moves you around.
- You cannot even let go your grip.

It's very difficult for me to understand this can really happen. To let go your grip, all you need to do is to "open your palm". What did he do that could prevent you from "opening your palm"?

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
- You grab your opponent.
- He moves you around.
- You cannot even let go your grip.

It's very difficult for me to understand this can really happen. To let go your grip, all you need to do is to "open your palm". What did he do that could prevent you from "opening your palm"?

It's this. They do not demonstrate with grips, but it works the same as long as there is contact.

Based on my personal experience, my balance is subtly affected by the master such that at every instant I'm at the verge of losing equilibrium and going where I do not want to. I cannot just open my palm as my body feels like it would lose all balance if I let go. The effect is quite miraculous and not common even among the 'masters' I have met so far.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I cannot just open my palm as my body feels like it would lose all balance if I let go.
This is the part that I don't understand. When you grab on your opponent, you must have a purpose. Most of the time, your purpose is to "guide" your opponent's arm away from your entering path. In order words, you may just grab on him for 1/4 second. You then let go your grip and do your thing.

How can your opponent have opportunity to react (within that 1/4 second) before you can release your grip and attack him?

Here is an example.

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is the part that I don't understand. When you grab on your opponent, you must have a purpose. Most of the time, your purpose is to "guide" your opponent's arm away from your entering path. In order words, you may just grab on him for 1/4 second. You then let go your grip and do your thing.

How can your opponent have opportunity to react (within that 1/4 second) before you can release your grip and attack him?

Here is an example.

1/4 second is probably enough for him to apply the ‘sticking’ since he does this to incoming jabs too.

Basically once there is contact you are ‘captured’ balance wise.

Another example:

OP
23rdwave

23rdwave

Green Belt
Reaction score
I used to like Yiquan. Then I learned that they cannot fight anymore. I was sad.

I believed that it too has succumbed to an excess of theory of t3h iNtErNaLZ while losing the profound study of violence and hurt in the same way how it has happened in most of the IMA scene.

There is yiquan (or i-chuan) standing meditation and then there is the martial art.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shame on that teacher. Shame.
He described the losing technique as "trying to stick to your opponent" and the winning technique as "making sure that our partner is stuck to us."
However, our eyes tell us that he's doing something very specific and different (e.g. being inside the partner's upper gate), but he doesn't give us a hint as to what is different, instead relying on a metaphor that isn't very useful as a training tool.

Still, it's a short video meant to drive students to his site, so, fine.

Latest Discussions