Combining styles, need suggestions

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't believe that front leg round house kick can cause any serious damage. People use it in "point sparring" to obtain score.

When you

- lift up your knee,
- point your knee toward your opponent,
- you then use your low leg muscle to kick out.

You are using "isolation force" and you are not using the "whole body force". Without "waist rotation", roundhouse kick can't generate maximum power.

Many years ago, I had this argument with a TKD instructor. I asked him to use front leg roundhouse kick to hit on my shoulder. I then use my back leg roundhouse to hit on his shoulder. He stopped argument with me after that.

Yeah but it only has to be hard enough to punt a guy in the head and mess them up. An leg is pretty heavy in its own right. It doesn't need that much body behind it to cause damage.

If you only throw rear round kicks. Then they only have to worry about rear round kicks.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been working on brazillian kicks for the lead round house. very deseptive....
I think I started using it by chance because of limited stretching or inconsciously for genitals protection (other advantages, up to deceptive). Or imitating one of my instructors...? Not the most powerful kick, but a foot in the face should be enough to finish or to safely prepare a finish.

This name, Brazilian kick, I know can be found on YouTube, so used it. But I think we should call it something else... Someone helps with the correction of names? :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think I started using it by chance because of limited stretching or inconsciously for genitals protection (other advantages, up to deceptive). Or imitating one of my instructors...? Not the most powerful kick, but a foot in the face should be enough to finish or to safely prepare a finish.

This name, Brazilian kick, I know can be found on YouTube, so used it. But I think we should call it something else... Someone helps with the correction of names? :)
Well, "fake front-to-roundhouse" would be descriptive, tho somewhat more cumbersome that a single word as a name.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, "fake front-to-roundhouse" would be descriptive, tho somewhat more cumbersome that a single word as a name.
Could be. But the way I imagine and do this kick is not quite round... It goes around the guard and strikes downwards with almost only leg movement (instead of full body rotation and striking from the side). No doubt about the fake front, just perfect for the first half. :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you only throw rear round kicks. Then they only have to worry about rear round kicks.
You can "scoop" with your front leg. You can't "sweep" with your front leg. Both roundhouse kick and "foot sweep" use exactly the same body mechanic. There is a difference on the angle between your front leg and your back leg. From a certain angle, you leg are suitable to do something. From a different angle, your leg are more suitable to do something else.

Steel Accord

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I say don't mix styles at all. By all means study different schools, but don't consciously try to create a hybrid style. It will happen on its own. As people have said, not all things go together. If someone is separately a student of both Shotokan and Silat, then they will do the moves appropriate to the situation or form. If someone was thinking of what moves to use at every opportunity in order to conform to his style combining, he would be less effective. We do our moves over and over again precisely so we don't have to think about how and what to do when we need to use our skills.

It's better to study a style diligently and let the techniques that you grow comfortable with become a part of your individual fighting style, than purposefully trying to emulate a little bit of karate, a little bit of wu shu, a little bit of muay thai, etc. etc. To be totally cliche and break out a quote from Bruce, a creator of a hybrid style,

“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
I say don't mix styles at all. By all means study different schools, but don't consciously try to create a hybrid style. It will happen on its own. As people have said, not all things go together. If someone is separately a student of both Shotokan and Silat, then they will do the moves appropriate to the situation or form. If someone was thinking of what moves to use at every opportunity in order to conform to his style combining, he would be less effective. We do our moves over and over again precisely so we don't have to think about how and what to do when we need to use our skills.

It's better to study a style diligently and let the techniques that you grow comfortable with become a part of your individual fighting style, than purposefully trying to emulate a little bit of karate, a little bit of wu shu, a little bit of muay thai, etc. etc. To be totally cliche and break out a quote from Bruce, a creator of a hybrid style,

“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”
Very well said! I like your mind set, study and and when the time comes right, it will fuse together naturally.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah but it only has to be hard enough to punt a guy in the head and mess them up. An leg is pretty heavy in its own right. It doesn't need that much body behind it to cause damage.

Agreed. I can knock a dude out with a front leg round kick. If I kicked your shoulder, it probably wouldn't do much, but that's a target problem, not a technique problem. If you only want the most power, you're not going to have many options available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions