combining martial arts

celestial_dragon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you want to combine different styles of MA. Take a look at krav maga, it is an isreali ma. It is also mixed with a bunch of different styles. and is one of the best out there. you might get a couple of ideas for your ma.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just train. Work your tail off and eventually the lines between your Judo and Western Boxing will start to fade naturally. The lines will fade because your understanding will be at a point that the two diciplines will both be in your head and body.

Both of these systems are for sporting and you must keep that in mind. While they can be used for self defense, that isn't what you are training for. You are training for sport and you will fight how you train.

There are systems out there that are more geared for self-defense, but they aren't necessarily as easy to spot as some would have you believe. For example, Wing Chun is a self defense system, but I have seen it taught instead as a tournament art. The focus changes and so does the training. That's great if you want a tournament art. The name of a system does not make it self defense or anything else. It is the training focus.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
From my experience of training standup (Muay Thai, Boxing, TKD) and on the ground (BJJ blue belt); I've realized that it doesn't automatically makes someone proficient in MMA. I mean, you are indeed mixing martial arts with your Boxing + Judo, but still not the same in terms of how MMA is trained and fought in the cage.

Before I really trained MMA, I was already a blue belt in BJJ (won 3 silver in grappling tourneys), fought 6 MT and 2 Boxing fights in the ring, sparred for hundreds of hours (many for full KO's)....and I can tell you that getting grounded and pounded for that very first few times, were very different feelings that I never experienced before in any of my ring fights; almost inducing panic, so I tapped out. It didn't take long before I got used to it due to being experienced and then fought in my first MMA cage fight, but it made me realize that MMA is very different.

So if you've got training in Boxing and Judo and someone took you down in the streets and starts to rain punches on you, it can be a completely new and foreign experience unless you train what's currently taught in MMA today.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an old thread. I wish MT had some kind of age indicator. But it isn't necessarily a bad thread to resurrect.

My feeling is this, it isn't so much about style. It's about you, the fighter. Pick a style, work hard, and test your skills against a multitude of resistent opponents. Don't just pit your skills against one style either. Work with people from other disciplines. Learn what your style has to counteract say a grappler or a kicker. If you dig deep enough into just about any style they have covered this ground already and have solutions.

Even a style that seems to get picked on a lot like Tae Kwon Do has a surprising number of techniques for situations you don't often see in the typical dojang. Pick a style and learn all it has to offer, chances are it has much more than you realize and is capable of standing up well if you are well trained and conditioned.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My feeling is this, it isn't so much about style. It's about you, the fighter. Pick a style, work hard, and test your skills against a multitude of resistent opponents.

It's not just the fighter. It's the fighter, the style(s) and the trainer. All affects the outcome. Like there's no question that Mike Tyson is capable killer, in and out of the ring; with the heart of a warrior. But due to his limited style, he'd get demolished in the UFC, where virtually all aspects of fighting is being tested.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
hmm i don't know...demolished? He wouldn't beat some of the best people who are more well-rounded, but I'm pretty sure he would be able to get up there with just his boxing, especially if he adapted it slightly to fight kicks and grapplers. Look at the Cheick Kongo vs. Pat Barry fight from last summer. That fight was settled almost completely by punches, in fact it was won by one solid punch at the end. Not saying its common, just saying it happens, and would happen more if someone like tyson entered the cage.

Also, you're talking about a sport, boxing, versus another sport, a bit different than a style verse a style. Now if it was ancient pugilism versus someone learning judo and muay thai (or any combination most UFC fighters learn) who knows how pugilism would fare.

Last edited:

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
hmm i don't know...demolished? He wouldn't beat some of the best people who are more well-rounded, but I'm pretty sure he would be able to get up there with just his boxing, especially if he adapted it slightly to fight kicks and grapplers.

I think it would be very unlikely. They all would take him down. The very best of MMA fighters' boxing is at best, sloppy, compared to Mike Tyson in his prime or maybe even now.

Tyson would have never fought MMA during his prime because he made 100x more money & fame in Boxing. The only way he'll risk his legendary legacy to fight MMA now is if he was really strapped for cash. And then, we'd be hearing the excuses that it's the old & tired Tyson, just like Toney, Mercer, etc. who tried to make a buck in MMA because Boxing no longer wants to pay them.

Look at the Cheick Kongo vs. Pat Barry fight from last summer. That fight was settled almost completely by punches, in fact it was won by one solid punch at the end. Not saying its common, just saying it happens, and would happen more if someone like tyson entered the cage.

That's more due to DANA WHITE telling all the fighters that he's only going to book exciting fighters and not the ground and stall, boring ones. Early UFC's main attraction was the ground game of BJJ, but now, people are sick of that and wants to see more standup fighting ever since Maurice Smith, a kickboxer, won the title. Fighters are adjusting to satisfy Dana, who is trying to satisfy the demands of the paying PPV public. Dana won't flat out admit this, but it's pretty obvious. And if it were Tyson standing in front of them, it would be incredibly stupid for any MMA fight to try to box him.

Also, you're talking about a sport, boxing, versus another sport, a bit different than a style verse a style. Now if it was ancient pugilism versus someone learning judo and muay thai (or any combination most UFC fighters learn) who knows how pugilism would fare.

Well sport boxing since I specifically mentioned Tyson.

While ancient pugilism is not that big of a deal, IMO. Muay Thai is pretty old and it already encompasses almost all aspects of standup fighting. Muay Boran is certainly old, and much more brutal than Muay Thai. And the modern combat fighter should be more powerful and resilient compared to ancient ones due to the leaps & bounds of advancement in nutrition, sports medicine, etc.

Latest Discussions