combining martial arts

vivek

White Belt
Reaction score
hi guys ,
im vivek and have been learning judo and boxing for 3 months each. im looking at developing it as a self defense . need some guidance on how do i use them in combination . mma isnt an option since no good mma schools around.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Boxing and Judo work very well together. Youll find, in Boxing, that often when the intensity gets high, youll end up ramming into each other a bit and/or clinching. This is the type of situation where being able to grab on and grapple comes in handy. It really isnt too hard to blend them.

When You Box, take a few seconds to think "When could i grab on here? How could i lock up a bit?". When You do Judo, take a few seconds to think, "When could i get a punch in here?"
I think you might be surprised by the results. Other than that, use a heavy bag. practice going from punching, to offsetting yourself and grabbing on.

The other angle is that Judo is a good defence against grappling. Being rushed into for some way shape or form of takedown or throw isnt unheard of. You dont need to 'use' Judo in self defence. Judo can be used 'for' self defence. If that makes sense. You might not grab the other guy, but if he grabs you, you can try and alter the situation to your advantage.
MMA isnt necessary for what you want, just keep the two seperate in your head, and remember that it wont all come together for some time now. You havent been doing this for long. Be patient.

If you want to perhaps observe how thatd work, try and get inside, and clinch up some when you Box. Every time you successfully clinch up, remind yourself that you could switch to a hold favorable to Judo, and go from there. Or, get into a Judo hold. But throw punches instead of throw people :)

OP
V

vivek

White Belt
Reaction score
thanks for the advice . will work on switching between the two in training

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
resist the urge to start mixing it up and doing your "own" thing too soon. Take your time. Learn your judo on its own merits, and learn your boxing on its own merits. Gain an understanding of how each method works, how well you can utilize the skills that each teaches you. Gradually you will come to understand how you can naturally combine the skills that each method gives you. But don't try to artificially put something together after just a couple months of training. You still don't understand either method, at all, to be able to do that.

Take your time, eventually the blend will happen naturally and organically. Don't force it.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michael that freaky Blade Runner Avatar freaks me out and is not in keeping with your sagely online demeanor.

GaryR

Green Belt
Reaction score
hi guys ,
im vivek and have been learning judo and boxing for 3 months each. im looking at developing it as a self defense . need some guidance on how do i use them in combination . mma isnt an option since no good mma schools around.

hi guys ,

Hello,

As flying crane mentioned, its a good idea to learn each to an appreciable degree before developing your own hybrid. But both boxing and judo can be rather functional more rapidly that your average Karate / Kung fu school. I would be cautious with mixing so early - BUT, its your training, own it, and do what you like, just set goals, and work at it. If you were trying to do two completely different arts - say Bagua and TKD - I would have to say you are Mal-training yourself, but judo and boxing are complimentary -and the mechanics / methods of one should compliment the other.

I have seen countless students over the years, and many have such different learning curves/styles. So, you may be ok mixing as you like, or it could be a complete disaster - I would have to see video of some two person work at least to give you a better assessment - I'd be willing to do so if you like. You can link me privately if you don't want the world to see.

At first, I would just think of the methods in terms of range and function. Boxing and Judo can blend seamlessly, it should come naturally with practicing both if you are training properly. Just think in terms of what you need to accomplish; There is an old saying in the Internal Martial arts-- "take the center from the first motion". Basically from the first contact you should be at least 1)striking and 2) taking their center of balance, and not giving it back. Your boxing and judo have obvious tools that can accomplish this. Just work with a partner, play around with the material, do what works.

Do you have an instructor that can guide you with the judo/boxing material into a self-defense context?

Best,

Gary

OP
V

vivek

White Belt
Reaction score
currently, i have separate instructors for both . each is taught for their own competitions. while in the dojo, its only groundfighting and grappling and the boxing club , only sparring , bag punching etc. instructors are very good at their art but have hardly any knowledge of the other one. so the integration of the two in a self defense context i will have to work on my own

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
hi guys ,
The problem that I see is that both these systems are designed for sport and you have specifically said that you want to use the combination for self defence. Certainly you can use boxing to help develop power into your punches and to build your stamina but I'm not sure that boxing will combine with judo to give you what you want. You have a problem with normal (sport) judo in that judo is about grabbing and controlling. Self defence, to me, is more about deflecting an attack and incapacitating your attacker with a quick strike that might be a fist but equally could be an elbow or knee. Originally judo included strikes and I would be looking more closely at your judo to try to recognise where the atemi can be put back in. Perhaps, see if you can find some video of Dieto Ryu and see if that gives you some guidance. Good luck with your training. :asian:

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do more training in each before mixing the two. You have to have the basics mastered before grafting things together...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You'll benefit from ten years of training. Then, combining will start to make sense and probably be a whole lot of fun. Just have a heck of a good time along the way. :)

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just take Kajukenbo, the work has already been done.

Aurum

White Belt
Reaction score
Judo and Boxing? Fascinating combo :D

It's very close-combat. Bruce Lee used to say that styles often get in the way of expressing oneself or defending oneself effectively. I believe that after one is a student, disciplines himself and masters his technique, he should move on to find his ideal self-expressive style.

In other words, I think it would be wise to simply find your own style, that which you feel most comfortable with. Learning the best style in the world isn't of much help if you don't feel comfortable with it and thus perform clumsily. I'm obviously not advising you to forget about the styles you've learned, but to combine these two styles plus your own personal preference onto them.

I mean, It's a bit hard to divide your style into two styles 50% by 50%. You'll always use one style more than the other at a given point, thus, I'd say the key is honestly expressing yourself in a spar in order to discover which moves and techniques you use most and are best at, in order to find your true fighting essence. If you fight honestly and open-heartily, you will not hesitate on which move to perform next or what reaction to have. You will act instinctively.

Anyway, these are not my words! I'm a mere student of the fascinating arts! But I do hope I've provided you with a meaningful point of view. :)

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
3 months in and you are already smashing the two styles head first into each other like a toddler with tonka trucks? Not to sound negative, but you really should lear both more fully before mixing. A white belt which I am assuming you are does not have the requisite knowledge or skill for such integration.

Latest Discussions