Coaching tips

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Point taken. That is why I used the Angelo Dundee and Cus Damato examples.

Your thoughts?

I see a middle ground. Being a black belt and having tournament experience doesn't make one a good coach, but it's probably the most direct road to understanding the art. The next step, IMO, that ATC articulates very well, is that a good coach must translate that understanding to his/her athlete and to the fight at hand (the comment about timing as the answer to speed, for example). It makes sense that some people may have the special ability to learn by watching and studying with little personal experience, but I suspect they are gifted exceptions (and that a great deal of study was involved). There are examples of people playing a musical instrument very well having never picked one up before, but it's rare. It's definitely true that a coach does not have to be a skilled athlete himself, but again, the ability to demonstrate at some level is an asset.

I don't know much about Mr. Amato and Mr. Dundee. Would you say they are exceptional for their insight into the boxing game, particularly for their experience level?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know much about Mr. Amato and Mr. Dundee. Would you say they are exceptional for their insight into the boxing game, particularly for their experience level?

Dundee coached Muhammed Ali for many years as well as some other top professionals.

Damato coached Tyson to world Championship and for ,many years as well as some other top professionals.

I have asked ATC who seems familiar with their personal boxing experience to provide a link since my basic search came up with nothing.

I think the success of those they coached establishes them as exceptional.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was not able to find this info.

Please provide a link.
for Dundee.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/books/review/Marino-t.html
From his book. He states he only fiddle around as a boxer. His brothers were the pro boxers. But he did do it. Do you think that growing up in Philly with hanging around boxing gyms all his life he would not try it? Even if only to help his brothers.

About to leave work. I will get you a link for Cus when I get home.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
for Dundee.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/books/review/Marino-t.html
From his book. He states he only fiddle around as a boxer. His brothers were the pro boxers. But he did do it. Do you think that growing up in Philly with hanging around boxing gyms all his life he would not try it? Even if only to help his brothers.

About to leave work. I will get you a link for Cus when I get home.

Thanks for the link. I think it proves my point since it recounts only nominal experience in the ring versus other skills he needed as a coach.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I think it proves my point since it recounts only nominal experience in the ring versus other skills he needed as a coach.
But he had some experience. I could not coach an ice skater without putting on some skates and understanding some things about it. No you don't have to be a super star, but some first hand knowledge is needed.

Watching others after some fundamental first hand experience can go a long way. But no first hand knowledge will get you nowhere.

I don't have any great TKD ring experience but I have enough to formulate all that is needed to coach someone else.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Current Knowledge OLYMPIC TKD changes yearly. What you did in the 90's is of little help today if you have not kept up on the latest Techniques and systems LAJUST, DAEDO ETC...

Ring experience is helpful!

BB is helpful?

Ability to handle the mental ups and downs of a fighter!

INTEGRITY! If you don't have it people will find out over time!

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Noting that it's not always sparring that you are coaching.....

I think that any coach needs;

Experiance in the thing that you are coaching for (e.g. sparring or patterns comps), teaching ability and an understanding of your students mindset and capabilites.

Coaching teenagers is different from coaching kids, is different from coaching adults, is different from coaching veterans.... on a similar level, patterns coaching is different from sparring coaching, colour belts different from black belts.... You need to be changeable and be able to convey your meaning in an effective and timly way.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
The one other tip that I have is to have a good athlete to coach. It is just as important to have someone with the skills and to be coachable. Not every person has what it takes to be the best, just like not every person is coachable.

I coach many kids and I feel that I am flexible enough to understand each kid is different and adapt my coaching to each kid.

With that said I also understand that some of the kids I coach just don't have the physical abilities to make it. Even with the understanding that everyone has something that can be developed to compensate for weaknesses. Some kids just don't have that "IT" factor. They won't do the dirty work to get them ahead no matter how hard you try to get them to. They won't do any extra outside of class time. They only do the bare minimum and that is it.

No matter how good you are as a coach the athlete needs to be the one to do the work.