Co-Ed in the Ring?

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I had 2 judo green belts. A man and a woman. Both same weight, close to same height etc. The woman would out technique the guy like nobodies business. However, if and when she lost it is because she got out muscled.

However when she competed against other women she destroyed them.
I have always enjoyed training with women in class settings. Like I said before "If a woman can figure out how to win competitively then I want to learn how she did it."

Happened to me all the time except I was outweighed all the time. At some point technique won't save you, strength and power matter. The better the technique the the more you nullify the brute strength difference.
lori

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Female MMA is a sport in itself, I know no male fighter or coach that disrepects female fighters simply because they kno what it takes to get in the ring/cage. This idea that females are second class is nonsense.
Here's the rankings for international female fighters and the person who complied these says it's not complete yet as shes still waiting for results from shows. These are females who fight under professional rules, serious fighters!
Thanks for posting these. What site did you get this from?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting these. What site did you get this from?

www.fightergirls.com. Debi Purcell's site, it's for serious female fighters, MMA, kickboxing, boxing etc. In the UK the main MMA forum Cagewarriors has a womens section too but thats a forum not for the fainthearted male or female lol!
The point is that female fighters are taken seriously by those who count, fighters, coaches, promoters and most fans. There's no need to court adverse publicity by trying to fight like men. Female MMA may have less fighters than male MMA but we aren't to be discounted because of that.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something else I thought people might find interesting, it's Rosi Sexton's blog. She's the one ranked no2 in the 125lbs category, she beat Debi Purcell recently.
http://rosisexton.wordpress.com/

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
www.fightergirls.com. Debi Purcell's site, it's for serious female fighters, MMA, kickboxing, boxing etc. In the UK the main MMA forum Cagewarriors has a womens section too but thats a forum not for the fainthearted male or female lol!
The point is that female fighters are taken seriously by those who count, fighters, coaches, promoters and most fans. There's no need to court adverse publicity by trying to fight like men. Female MMA may have less fighters than male MMA but we aren't to be discounted because of that.
Awesome. I'll make sure to bookmark that page. To be honest, I'm not too wild about how Sherdog's site works with the rankings (especially if I'm trying to look up ANY fighter through their mobile site.)

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think actually I'm just talking to people who have no idea what MMA is and are just jumping on the male v female thing which was something I was trying to avoid myself as it clouds the issue.

It's an argument that should be expected. To most I believe it's the underlining root of the debate.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome. I'll make sure to bookmark that page. To be honest, I'm not too wild about how Sherdog's site works with the rankings (especially if I'm trying to look up ANY fighter through their mobile site.)

We tend not to use Sherdog here, it's very biased for one thing against the British fighters. We use a different one. it has international rankings too.
http://www.mmauniverse.com/fighterarchivesection.html

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In this case I think that if a woman wants to fight and she can meet a weight class then more power to her.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In this case I think that if a woman wants to fight and she can meet a weight class then more power to her.

Why? and why should we as serious promoters trying to run good well run shows where matches are fair and equal allow a fight like that to happen?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Regardless of whether it would be fair or not within the same weight class, It would hurt the sport being taken serious imo. The only reason it would be done is to make it a freak show, like some of the K1 fights. I.e. sometimes, K1 fights are really about pitting great fighters against each other, but other times it's just to draw in as much money as possible (choy, akebono).

MMA is very slowly gaining ground here in Belgium, though it hasn't made tv or news yet. Something like this would give the sport a short notoriety, and then put the whole playing field back to square one, and additionally give the male fighter a bad rep as wife beaters.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As far as training goes, I think it benefits both people. As for fighting, I don't see it. For the physical differences that Carol mentioned a few pages ago.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't have mixed gender fights in TMA so why MMA? Yes we all train together, for women training with men who are bigger and stronger than them is ideal but I don't get what the fuss about having women v men in MMA is. I don't believe there's any competitive MA that has mixed gender bouts, I may be wrong but I don't think I've ever heard of any?
MMA is for enjoyment as much as anything for most fighters, only a top few are able to have it as their 'profession' so why should we make it impossible for women to get fights which is what will happen if we insist on male v female bouts. Both sexes will refuse I guarantee you, it will an outsider with little understanding of our sport that puts a bout on and outsiders who fight.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But with that said I got to tell you after over 30 years of MA I would not climb in the ring with this woman and I seriously outweigh her. And it has nothing to do with any sort of macho attitude, I gained an awful lot of respect for Aikido, that I did not have prior, from a woman about half my size that was part of a sparing group I was in that slammed me to the floor. And I have to tell you I felt about it at the time the same way I do now… DAMN!!! That was cool. Not climbing into the ring with the woman the link goes to has a heck of a lot more to do with self-preservation.

Wow! I think I'm in love, she is amazing! :fanboy:

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
By the way not trying to bring up an old thread, just had to comment on
Satoko Shinashi ; )

Latest Discussions