Clutching Feathers

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi Guys. FYI.This is the proper way to do a hair grab. Open your hand flat and spread your fingers, slide your hand forward on his head so that your fingers comb thru the hair and the hair is between the fingers. Your palm should be flat on his head.Make a tight fist. Turn your hand over and down like in striking serpent's head and take him down. Note: Use a large, strong student who's into pain. Doc is right on about you being toast if you don't do something about this PDQ. A hair grab controls the head and where the head goes so goes the body. Pinning the hand to the head is not to prevent the hair from being pulled out but rather to retain control of your head. A sharp blow to the crease of the inner wrist makes the hand lose its' grip. Hair grabs are very common in a grappling situation, that's why the bjj guys invariably have short hair. But then of course none of us Kenpo guys would ever end up in a grappling situation. Or not. Gary

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... is always a good idea. I use the thumb knuckle for this also. The grab is not static allowing the "fingers to comb through the hair", but even if they do, the pain caused by the immediate pin and pressure "contact manipulation" is excruciating. Don't allow the elbow to bend and you won't be dragged down. I see where you are coming from, but you are making some assumptions about the level of training and teaching that may not be accurate.

-Michael
AKTS

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
... is always a good idea. I use the thumb knuckle for this also. The grab is not static allowing the "fingers to comb through the hair", but even if they do, the pain caused by the immediate pin and pressure "contact manipulation" is excruciating. Don't allow the elbow to bend and you won't be dragged down. I see where you are coming from, but you are making some assumptions about the level of training and teaching that may not be accurate.

-Michael
AKTS

Additionally the head is controlled not by the pulling of the hair for the skilled, but by fulcruming the hand against nerve points in the scalp. This may also be done without seizing the hair.

K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by Doc
Additionally the head is controlled not by the pulling of the hair for the skilled, but by fulcruming the hand against nerve points in the scalp. This may also be done without seizing the hair.

Can you please explain? It's the first time I've heard this explained in this way.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
.... ouch, now that hurts!!! Especially if they use the hair to anchor the roll of the knuckle into them. Hmmmm..... good food for thought Doc, I had not intentionally done this, but have accidentally ... and will again, whoops!

Thanks,
Oss,
-Michael
AKTS

Latest Discussions