class

H

Hanzo04

could someone from the Bujinkan be so kind as to tell me how a regular class goes. I mean from the beginning to end. etiquette, techniques,discussions, dismissal everything you can think of. and do you guys work on the really traditional aspects of the art like the usage of the traditonal tools and weapons? thanks a lot.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is rather vague. A lot will depend on your instructor and his/her teaching style. Personally, I prefer a fairly informal class. We have a bow in at the beginning of class. Then we'll do some ukemi and kihon happo to warm up, before moving on the main theme of the class. Most etiquette is common sense. Don't talk when the instructor is talking, be respectful of the dojo and training equipment. At the end of class, we finish with a bowout.

Jeff

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Kreth, it vaires from School to School...

My old 'kan school started with a Traditional bow in, followed by Ukemi. Then we did Sanshin, Kihon Happo, and moved on to whatever the instrcutor wanted to work on for the day, followed by a formal bow out.

My current school Skips the bow in, we have more of a "curriculum based" training, meaning students from each Kyu rank work specific techniques my instructor feels most appropriate to their level, and the Blackbelts work specific concepts. We do some Randori, sometimes, and no formal bow out after class, followed by beer drinking. (No I am not kidding)

OP
H

Hanzo04

Cool. so you're a 6th kyu now? good job. what is randori?

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
So how long is a class?
Again, depends on the instructor. I like 2-hour classes on weeknights. I've tried 1 1/2 hours, and it seems like you're just getting on a roll, and class is over.

Jeff

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bujinkan class I go to depends on the day
every class has the "Bow in stuff" and Junan Taiso

tuesday
-everything (Sanshin, Kihon, Weapons, sparring, ......whatever instructor wants to work on)

Thursday
-Grappling/sparring mainly from TYR
-weapons (Hanbo, Tanto, Ninja-to, Bokken, Gun)

Monday
-Kihon Happo
-Sanshin

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Enson said:
yeah technopunk you were 7th yesterday. congrats on the promotion!

Thanks, yeah I passed my rank test last night. :D

Hanzo04 said:
what is randori?

Randori is like... hmm... sparring, but... not. Basically, attackers are free to come at you however they want, Punch, Kick, grab, knife, whatever... and you are free to respond however you choose... Sort of "controlled" free fighting I guess is how I would describe it.

OP
M

MisterMike

Technopunk said:
Ours are 1 1/2 - 4 hours depending.

Interesting. I was asking from a general point of view as I do not train in the Bujinkan or Ninjutsu.

My classes are 2 hours.

A previous school I attended had 45 minute classes for ranks under black belt.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Usually, tough training means that you have a hard time getting up from chairs and opening doors the next day...

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hanzo04: "could someone from the Bujinkan be so kind as to tell me how a regular class goes. I mean from the beginning to end. etiquette, techniques,discussions, dismissal everything you can think of. and do you guys work on the really traditional aspects of the art like the usage of the traditonal tools and weapons? thanks a lot."

Mine is pretty standard. Before class starts, we'll be chatting and stretching and such, then we bow in and do warmup exercises. Warmup usually consists of many repetitions of sanshin, but sometimes there'll be some junantaiso first before that.

After that, or sometimes mixed in with the sanshin kata (if there are similar principles to work on), we'll do various drills: one day it'll be punching, another kicking, on another rolls, others will be walking or jumping or something.

Then, we'll do a couple forms, usually from the kihon happo. Each class usually has some weapon applications as well.
Then we bow out, and have a question and answer period followed by announcements of upcoming events like seminars and such.

Not every session is organized like that though. Some are completely random, just whatever shidoshi comes up with on the spot (I suspect that it depends on who is at training that day and how things that we do lead to other things).

We often work with traditional aspects like katana, bo, shuriken, stealth, etc. (wouldn't be ninjutsu without it, right?)

Kreth: "This is rather vague. A lot will depend on your instructor and his/her teaching style."

This is true, each Buj' school will have its own flavor, but if you train in enough dojo, you'll notice many similarities.

"Personally, I prefer a fairly informal class. We have a bow in at the beginning of class... Most etiquette is common sense. Don't talk when the instructor is talking, be respectful of the dojo and training equipment. At the end of class, we finish with a bowout."

I enjoy both formal and informal classes. Totally different vibe, but both a cool experience. Most Buj' dojo I've been to though (no, wait, all of them) have been mostly informal (of course with the common sense courtesies and respect). We don't place much emphasis on wearing the proper uniform (or any uniform at all), talking and joking around is o.k. as long as we're kicking eachother's *** while we're doing it (i.e. standing around and chatting when you're supposed to be practicing is not allowed). We'll often have music playing in the background. I've trained with at least four shidoshi over the years, and none has demanded to be called by any title - all first name basis. I get the feeling that instructor and student are peers, with Hatsumi being sensei to both, so both treat eachother as equals.

MisterMike: "So how long is a class?"

Most are two hours, some go longer. Weekend seminars can be four to six hours.

Nimravus: "Usually, tough training means that you have a hard time getting up from chairs and opening doors the next day..."

:D ohhh yeah, those days. . .
Like when you look in the mirror, "huh, where did that bruise come from? I don't remember getting hit there.... or there.... or..."

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Usual warm-up procedures at my 2-hour class dojo:

Warm-up variety 1: approximately 15-20 minutes running, including with our hands on our shins, with raised knees, sideways and backwards running etc., with 10-20 pushups, crunchies and situps thrown in at regular intervals, followed by 10 minutes stretching and deep stance training. Followed by at least 10 minutes ukemi practice.

Warm-up variety 2: yoga for about 20-30 minutes with bits of stretching thrown in, followed by ukemi practice for about as long. Usually followed by striking training with pads.

Warm-up variety 3: Sanshin no kata with variations, followed by stretching, stance training and ukemi practice.

Warm-up variety 4: mild freestyle grappling without strikes, as well as other balance-related drills (such as one strikes with gloves and tries to stay on his knees/feet, one or two other guys take him down, or one lies face down on his stomach and tries to get up, while the other guy prevents him from standing with both his feet on the ground). Followed by ukemi practice for about 15 minutes.

Warm-up variety 5: boxing sparring with gloves, usually semi-contact to the head and full contact to the body, depending on the type of gloves used. Varieties include the infamous "*****-slap sparring" where you try to hit the other guy on the inside of his thighs or on his shoulder with open hand strikes, and whoever gets hit does 10 pushups or situps.

Warm-up variety 6: pad training for about 30 minutes followed by ukemi practice. Variations include a new take on a classical drill common in Japanese sword schools; several guys with pads surround a lone guy while slowly closing in on him, and he uses strikes to keep them at bay.

Ukemi practice usually involves one or two acrobatic elements (such as practicing cartwheel kicks on pads) and muto taihenjutsu.

Latest Discussions